Mwar15 2020-2025 azalea entry

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Found this at a local nursery $5 the lady said it is a variety she got from he mom 20+ years ago “ St. Boniface”

I picked up 2 of these
5E83E875-BBD6-4B66-841D-77D05970FB1E.jpeg63E3BECD-1FD8-4286-849C-8E68C7CD68F0.jpeg127406B5-5EEE-4A57-8889-807BD0DCA57C.jpeg

my plan is to cut some of the long branches. Pick one, wire some movement. next spring repot it into a grow bag and stick it in the ground.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow, that thing must grow like crazy. How long are those 1 year growth shoots in cm? Don't know the variety. Could it be a R.simsii/Southern Indica/Belgian indica?

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The leaves are quite narrow. And a catholic saint is something they would use as a name in Europe (Belgium, Netherlands or Germany)? Yet it does not appear on 'Deutsche Genbank Rhododendron', where many Belgian azalea are registered. Or in The International Rhododendron Register (I also checked the Germanic spelling). This is not a pure R.simsii, I think. Maybe some R.simsii satsuki mix. I see why she would sell you this if you asked for a satsuki, assuming they have many kurume there. Not sure what they usually grow azalea-wise in Oregon. Seems like a good place for azalea, as long as you are near the coast.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the contest! Interesting azalea. Do you plan to keep those branches long?

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Welcome to the contest! Interesting azalea. Do you plan to keep those branches long?
It came out of a greenhouse so I didn’t want to completely chop it. I’ll leave them for now. I wired them out to let sun in and see what happens

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
The one in the grow bag is my #1, it will be put in the ground. The other one I’ll keep in the terra-cotta.94EF0F69-C85F-4ADD-A499-C256D4801161.jpeg7686E8B8-B1DA-4D98-998F-1B8BF9B6500D.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this season’s flush……it’s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this season’s flush……it’s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.
Still in!!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice! You plan on letting it flower next year?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mine has some buds, I'm most likely going to let mine bloom to see the flowers then cut back again.

Top Bottom