My 10-12 year old "Procumbens"

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Here is my Juniper "Procumbens" Bonsai it is from the soil 18"Hx16"W with a 1" Trunk, it is 10-12 years old, here is how it looks today and a picture of me giving it the Mr Miyagi treatment...It was very Bushy when I got it last year, I have Pruned, Shaped, Wired it, I am now just letting it get some age and growth, I hope ultimately it will be considered a Formal Upright...Shimpaku and CTL 2016 004.JPG Shimpaku and CTL 2016 008.JPG

Last edited:

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bolero, I think this is a Juniperus pingii (formally squamata prostrata) or possibly a procumbens juniper. Shimpaku has tight scale-like foliage (soft to the touch) You will be battling to make these into formal uprights and from this stage just about impossible. I would consider keeping it an informal upright (maybe what you meant?) or possibly even removing the first 4 branches on the and developing it from there into a literati type as the trunk is quite thin and lends itself to that style.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool. I think if it were mine I'd put some more movement into the branches.
And that's you huh?
Nice to put a face on someone.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It will never be considered a formal upright. The trunk on a formal upright has to be perfectly straight with alternating branches all the way to the top.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Trying to find where the OP said it was a shimpaku..says in opening post it was a procumbins. Maybe my eyes are getting bad from old age creeping up on me.

Rick

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i agree with m. frary that the branches are to straight also i hope you manage to push the growth a bit back on the first branch on the Right

but overall Nice healthy tree wich you can enjoy working on!

Reaction score
No formal upright possible with this material, make it informal. Take care not to make pompom's of foliage at the end.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Trying to find where the OP said it was a shimpaku..says in opening post it was a procumbins. Maybe my eyes are getting bad from old age creeping up on me.

Rick
Rick on my OP I had a brain fart & stated that it was a Shimpaku, I have 10 or 12 Shimpaku of various size and 2 or 3 Procumbins, typing faster than thinking, Aron spotted it right away and I corrected my OP....

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
OK must have corrected it before I read the post..Sorry about that Aaron.

Rick

Relknes

Sapling
Reaction score
I second the suggestion to consider a literati style. The material looks made for it, to my eyes. If you do end up going that direction, consider changing the planting angle as well... it might open up some interesting possibilities.
But it is, of course, your tree, so take any and all such advice with with a grain of salt.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I second the suggestion to consider a literati style. The material looks made for it, to my eyes. If you do end up going that direction, consider changing the planting angle as well... it might open up some interesting possibilities.
But it is, of course, your tree, so take any and all such advice with with a grain of salt.
.....and I third that!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any updates on this JuniperusShimpaku Procumbens. I never had much stock in the Miyagi method of bonsai. Of course I knew the two guys that supplied all the trees for the movie, and I know on good authority that they were indeed lookalikes.

Top Bottom