My $13 azalea summer project [experiment]

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Found a pretty good sized Encore Azalea at Lowe’s yesterday and did a full bare root repot of it and some major pruning back to give primary structure definition.
the purpose of this experiment is to see if it’ll endure the Texas summer heat in august. I only used a wooden chopstick to carefully remove old organic media and sawed off about half of the roots back.
The primary lower branch I want to have it be as a semi cascade after development of ramification. Also pruned the top branches to form a crown and further the ramification in it.
I have a 30% shade cloth in my apartment patio to protect it from full direct sun exposure and carefully inspect everyday against drying up too much and keep moisture levels optimally.
if it is healthy by spring time, I will wire the branches in place.
last pic is a Google pic I found where I’m getting inspiration from for the final design.

Attachments

• B65754B2-9505-45BF-9607-E9391B0681F0.jpeg
    B65754B2-9505-45BF-9607-E9391B0681F0.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 25D6A130-9618-496E-9F45-CB975427D7CF.jpeg
    25D6A130-9618-496E-9F45-CB975427D7CF.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 46
  • EDE2C77B-9FDE-470D-AE8D-E5E7EE9BE004.jpeg
    EDE2C77B-9FDE-470D-AE8D-E5E7EE9BE004.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 7409C19D-42A4-4A7E-980B-8633D2FED89B.jpeg
    7409C19D-42A4-4A7E-980B-8633D2FED89B.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 49

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have 2 encores I bought a few weeks ago, one is still in the nursery pot on full sun in Boerne, TX. It is doing extremely well, the other one had some leaf damage and was slip potted into a Rootpouch, its doing ok, the leaves are still chlorotic but slowly gaining color back. I am debating whether to entirely defoliate it now and hope for the best, or let it continue its course and see if it gets better. I don't think I will have a problem with defoliation, as we don't have a "fall" season and frost normally happen close to the end of December-early January and I can bring it into the garage if necessary for protection.

Azalea3.JPG

Azalea Encore Sangria.JPG

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
oh nice, maybe id suggest partial defoliation with leaving at least two or one leaf on each branch? I know azaleas are hardy but ive only heard to fully defoliate on a strong tree; granted, I heard it from Peter Warren for zelkovas, chinese elms.
Also, what gauge of wire did you use for the trunk on the second one? Im debating whether to use some for mine on its trunk cause I dont want to break it. Were you able to successfully bend it around with no problem? I think yours is as thick as mine, comparing them on the pictures.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@AnutterBonsai I’m interested to se how your encore does 😎

@Maiden69 I’m also interested. Can you please tell me what is your rationale for either a complete or partial defoliation of an azalea?

cheers
DSD sends

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@AnutterBonsai I’m interested to se how your encore does 😎

@Maiden69 I’m also interested. Can you please tell me what is your rationale for either a complete or partial defoliation of an azalea?

cheers
DSD sends
I will be updating as much as I can. Thank you for taking interest! Here is what it is looking like at the moment in my setup. Read a thread in this forum from someone saying aluminum foil helps against root damage from sun, so trying that out too. This is an Encore Autumn Empress - I picked it out because it also has potential to have much smaller leaves than usual encore plants. So I did some research and turns out this specific breed is a cross between Taiwanese azalea and indicum (satsuki) so pretty cool! You can see how a mature leaf looks and its potential size reduction, much like any satsuki.

Attachments

• E1F9E3FD-62A5-4A01-8782-820FF0BCB076.jpeg
    E1F9E3FD-62A5-4A01-8782-820FF0BCB076.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 20
  • 8A26C01E-5D86-44CF-8E49-00E8AEE63A7B.jpeg
    8A26C01E-5D86-44CF-8E49-00E8AEE63A7B.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 26

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

cheers
DSD sends
A lot of the left over leaves started getting brown on the tips, I thought that by doing a partial defoliation I would encourage the tree to generate more solar panels. I did reduce a lot of the branches, but left almost the entire root mass. So I thought the tree would have enough energy in store to push new foliage.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also, what gauge of wire did you use for the trunk on the second one? Im debating whether to use some for mine on its trunk cause I dont want to break it. Were you able to successfully bend it around with no problem? I think yours is as thick as mine, comparing them on the pictures.
I don't have annealed copper, I think that one is #12 or 10, as long as you hold it tightly you should be able to bend it, remember to twist at the same time you bend (something I learned from Mirai). You can perform big bends this way without breaking. This tree was rather easy to bend and didn't require a lot of twisting... and from what I have seen, most big azaleas movement is more side-to-side than soft radius curves.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A lot of the left over leaves started getting brown on the tips, I thought that by doing a partial defoliation I would encourage the tree to generate more solar panels. I did reduce a lot of the branches, but left almost the entire root mass. So I thought the tree would have enough energy in store to push new foliage.
There is no need to ever defoliate an azalea. Defoliating is a process used on healthy tree to produce a smaller leafed second flush of leaves, promoting ramification. If the Leaves are slowly turning brown at the tips it’s a symptom of either over fertilization, over or under water. Quickly turn brown, likely too much sun.

Removing leaves will only weaken the tree. A healthy azalea will backbud at will. As long as the leaves are still partially green and not desiccated they will keep producing energy.

Still perplexed why this tree is in a root pouch. Root pouches are used to create dense root mass. Azaleas naturally have dense root balls. Try slipping the tree into a regular pot of equal size. That may help solve your problem.

btw, how much sun is this azalea getting a day?

cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will be updating as much as I can. Thank you for taking interest! Here is what it is looking like at the moment in my setup. Read a thread in this forum from someone saying aluminum foil helps against root damage from sun, so trying that out too. This is an Encore Autumn Empress - I picked it out because it also has potential to have much smaller leaves than usual encore plants. So I did some research and turns out this specific breed is a cross between Taiwanese azalea and indicum (satsuki) so pretty cool! You can see how a mature leaf looks and its potential size reduction, much like any satsuki.
I really like Encore Sunburst myself compact leaves, smaller. But I haven’t seen Autumn Express yet. I’ll have to keep my eyes open.

Heard about wrapping aluminum foil around plastic nursery pots exterior to keep the heat gain down during the summer, not on the surface though. This may help with ceramic pots in Texas too.

I’d be concerned about the foil on top retaining water in the rootball, causing root rot…. something easy for azaleas to get.

cheers
DSD sends

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is no need to ever defoliate an azalea. Defoliating is a process used on healthy tree to produce a smaller leafed second flush of leaves, promoting ramification. If the Leaves are slowly turning brown at the tips it’s a symptom of either over fertilization, over or under water. Quickly turn brown, likely too much sun.

Removing leaves will only weaken the tree. A healthy azalea will backbud at will. As long as the leaves are still partially green and not desiccated they will keep producing energy.

Still perplexed why this tree is in a root pouch. Root pouches are used to create dense root mass. Azaleas naturally have dense root balls. Try slipping the tree into a regular pot of equal size. That may help solve your problem.

btw, how much sun is this azalea getting a day?

cheers
DSD sends
It was moved into a rootpouch as I planned on placing it into a bigger pot and surround the bag with pumice as I don't have spot to place it in the ground right now. It is in full sun, from around 9am-6pm, I have 2 other azaleas in the same place (one more in a rootpouch) and they are doing fine. The bigger encore greened up this week, as it was slightly yellowish as well.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I really like Encore Sunburst myself compact leaves, smaller. But I haven’t seen Autumn Express yet. I’ll have to keep my eyes open.

Heard about wrapping aluminum foil around plastic nursery pots exterior to keep the heat gain down during the summer, not on the surface though. This may help with ceramic pots in Texas too.

I’d be concerned about the foil on top retaining water in the rootball, causing root rot…. something easy for azaleas to get.

cheers
DSD sends
I found the express at Lowe's! 1 gallon container.
Thank you for explaining the aluminum foil, looks like i was way over my head about that lol. I misunderstood it as having it as a cover, like moss, to keep moisture during severe heat, instead as you said, to have it wrapped around the pot lol. This is a glazed pot so I think i wont require the foil at all, since it is also quite a bit deep as well so it can hold more mass.

I appreciate the helpfulness, hope you find yourself a nice Express one!

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I don't have annealed copper, I think that one is #12 or 10, as long as you hold it tightly you should be able to bend it, remember to twist at the same time you bend (something I learned from Mirai). You can perform big bends this way without breaking. This tree was rather easy to bend and didn't require a lot of twisting... and from what I have seen, most big azaleas movement is more side-to-side than soft radius curves.
Thanks, that is helpful!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It was moved into a rootpouch as I planned on placing it into a bigger pot and surround the bag with pumice as I don't have spot to place it in the ground right now. It is in full sun, from around 9am-6pm, I have 2 other azaleas in the same place (one more in a rootpouch) and they are doing fine. The bigger encore greened up this week, as it was slightly yellowish as well.
Ok that helps explain things. Way too much sun for azaleas, especially in your neck of the woods. I’m glad to see the others are ok at this point.

Find a way to shift these trees to morning sun until noon and protection from the major wind direction.

Otherwise at least 50% shade cloth or better…. Not conversant of shade cloth grades. Some in CA say 70%

Azaleas do fine until they don’t. I know. I’ve lots, and I mean lots of young satsuki, kurume and some encores here. Sudden azalea death syndrome (my name for it) is a real thing. Also different trees of the same cultivar can withstand an adverse environment differently.

When transferring from the root pouch into a pot, it’s important to use the same media the rootball is in. This avoids zonal differences in water retention, which can cause over and underwatering situations.

Just a note for both major respondents here.

Each of you seem to be doing the right thing, to start with, experimenting to inform your horticulture. I did the same. I found at my focus immediately shifted towards strategies that would simply keep my azaleas alive and healthy.

Along the way I discovered a lot of tactics people transmuted from other species to azaleas. That just doesn’t work well. Azaleas are different duck in many ways. For example we normally use aluminum single or double wire on azaleas as their bark is so thin and the aluminum is easier to bend without damaging the bark.

At BonsaiNut we have a resource section where I posted a translated, edited version of a satsuki resource manual, which may be helpful. You can find it’s download page here. Hit the download button in the upper right to download the information.

cheers
DSD sends

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ok that helps explain things. Way too much sun for azaleas, especially in your neck of the woods. I’m glad to see the others are ok at this point.

Find a way to shift these trees to morning sun until noon and protection from the major wind direction.

Otherwise at least 50% shade cloth or better…. Not conversant of shade cloth grades. Some in CA say 70%

Azaleas do fine until they don’t. I know. I’ve lots, and I mean lots of young satsuki, kurume and some encores here. Sudden azalea death syndrome (my name for it) is a real thing. Also different trees of the same cultivar can withstand an adverse environment differently.

When transferring from the root pouch into a pot, it’s important to use the same media the rootball is in. This avoids zonal differences in water retention, which can cause over and underwatering situations.

Just a note for both major respondents here.

Each of you seem to be doing the right thing, to start with, experimenting to inform your horticulture. I did the same. I found at my focus immediately shifted towards strategies that would simply keep my azaleas alive and healthy. Along the way I discovered a lot of tactics people transmuted from other species to azaleas. That just doesn’t work well. Azaleas are different duck in many ways.

At BonsaiNut we have a resource section where I posted a translated, edited version of a satsuki resource manual, which may be helpful. You can find it’s download page here. Hit the download button in the upper right to download the information.

cheers
DSD sends
Funny story, your article and forum posting there was actually the first real article I had ever read on azaleas! So its a great honor to have you here personally helping out with your experience.
I do speak Italian so I remember reading it on its original version, however I keep yours in my desktop to have as quick reference once in a while.

So thank you for doing great outreach for the community here!

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

cheers
DSD sends
Apologies, I misled you, autocorrect.. It is called Autumn Empress, not express.

Top Bottom