My 1st air-layering attempt....

Shorty54

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Today I jumped head on into it. Here is a before and after, hope I have roots in a little while.

image.jpg image.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It looks like the piece you are layering will be arrow straight. Not super desirable... You Generally want to try to layer a tree just below a spot with some interest- a nice curve, a tightly compacted branch ramification... Something that is difficult to find or create... Something that would look good on a shorter trunk...

Nothing wrong with doing it for practice of course, just giving you some advice for future layers. Obviously, I assume your intent was to remove this branch anyway? If so, you might could have gotten a more interesting tree if you layered it off lower, below the curve...

Looks like you packed it full of moss, and made a nice big chunk... Something I always seem to screw up- so, it looks like a solid job! Did you ring off the bark, or use a wire to wrap around the trunk?

Shorty54

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update & Advice:-image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Looks like good roots.
image.jpg
The air-layered sides not looking so good.
image.jpg
There's new growth on the bottom.

When should I separate & plant the air layering on its own? Is it going to make it with it wilting like it is? I'm just looking for a little guidence, thank you in advance.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do you keep this tree in the shade? I'd keep the roots out of the sunlight to keep from overheating in there. Roots still look young and fragile. I'd let them mature some more or else you may end with no roots.

Shorty54

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you keep this tree in the shade? I'd keep the roots out of the sunlight to keep from overheating in there. Roots still look young and fragile. I'd let them mature some more or else you may end with no roots.

The tree gets some sunlight....maybe a couple of hours a day.

Top Bottom