My 1st Korean Hornbeam.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Late last year, our local bonsai club had an auction. Trees and other bonsai related items are donated to benefit the club.

I won this but to my dismay upon inspection, most of the roots are dead. I pruned and repotted it to this dish pan and to my surprise, it grew really well. I was told/warned it cannot take direct TX sun but chanced it. This is out in full TX sun the entire time and not a single leaf burn. :cool:

I hope it gives me nice colors come fall. :)

View attachment 39201

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine gets leaf burn every year about this time in shade. I think it's just the heat it can't take. Thinking about selling it to someone in a colder climate. I'm afraid for it. It's about 40 years old and I would hate to kill it. I wish I could figure out what causes it. The only thing I can think of is its the first tree I have that leafs out in the spring and perhaps the leaves are just old by this time of year. It will be in full leaf at the end of February. Always seems super healthy when spring comes around. I might try to defoliate in may next year to keep the leaves young.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My smaller KH used to get leaf burn every year. Till this year. Not a site change, but a soil change at repotting. Coincidence? I don't think so. Happy roots=happy leaves.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice tree -- looks like there's a nice nebari there?

Apparently Korean Hornbeams are expensive -- I heard that a pound of KH seeds is upwards of $1,000 while, say, a pound of Trident maple seeds is like $20. lol

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice tree -- looks like there's a nice nebari there?

Thanks. There is indeed a making of nice nebari buried under. I exposed it some for the shot but I am trying to make them more compact and encourage growth closer to the trunk by applying pseudo-layering technique to the main root that looks like "wheel spokes". :D

The original root system all went to the pot edge and kept circling there...nothing in the core of the soil mass. I believe the "soil" choice was the reason. It looked like 100% 3/16" broken black rock w/ sharp edges but light and almost like pumice. Could be porous (like charcoal) but I cannot see the holes with naked eye. Very nice material but I think bad choice for 100% substrate.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, just a tad. lol -- For what it's worth, I've been told that keeping trees in smaller pots is great for establishing the nebari as long as you consistently trim the roots each year, pushing more root growth to the nebari. I'll be using this technique when my Trident seedlings are at a workable point.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpgimage.jpg
You have to see the bark in person to appreciate its age. It's all cracked and has lichen growing on it. I know it's no masterpiece, but its my hornbeam.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice. Re; bark and age, I can see it, I have an active imagination :eek: LOL

If you decide to sell it, please let me know. ;)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Going to try my defoliation idea next summer. If that does not work it's yours. Maybe trade for some urban yamadori.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My smaller KH used to get leaf burn every year. Till this year. Not a site change, but a soil change at repotting. Coincidence? I don't think so. Happy roots=happy leaves.

What's your mix?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What's your mix?

Haydite, river sand,well screened turface, orchid bark,and charcoal
I moved from almost 80/20 turface/bark mix this spring. For some reason this mix works far better with my climate, and the my watering regimen.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Haydite, river sand,well screened turface, orchid bark,and charcoal
I moved from almost 80/20 turface/bark mix this spring. For some reason this mix works far better with my climate, and the my watering regimen.

Judy,

Is it possible to add (rough) proportions of the mix? Thanks.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I plant everything in Haydite/pine bark. 60/40 deciduous. 70/30 conifers.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I get the mix (without turface, I add that as needed for more water retention) from a place called the bonsai den up in canton. I just drive up and buy in bulk. There are different mixes that he has, more orchid bark or less, and now he's got one with red lava. I have not tried the lava mix. I would imagine it does what I'm doing by adding turface. I would guess 70/20/10/5 haydite/river sand/ bark/charcoal for the regular mix. You can find the site online, it's fairly reasonable, and much more so for me, as I can get bulk.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My korean hornbeam which I got from telperion farms doesn't get leaf burn. I got a tiny bit when I was late watering one 95 degree day but other then that nothing. Has been growing strongly since spring planted in an anderson flat in a inorganic mix. 30% Akadama, 30% Lava, 30% Pumice and a bit of horticultural chacoal. No burn visible on it's leaves now.

Top Bottom