My 1st Successful Air Layer

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I don't like to double post my work...but this Elm is on another thread of its own.
I figured since its my first successful air layer, I'd post it here too for anyone who's interested.

I have previously attempted to air layer 3 azalea branches on 2 garden shrubs at my old house....all failed.

I bare rooted this tree and cut back the roots quite hard this year (some big roots too, I'll post a link to that thread at the end of this), I think it was late February '18, the tree began growing early (cuz it was in my garage).

On May 19, I decided to air layer the top off, because I want to make a smaller tree from the first low branch....and if I can make a good nebari with the layer, it may be cool some day...

Yesterday I separated the air layer and cut off the unwanted section of the trunk (was thinking of carving a special ornament for Bananaman, but I ended up tossing it)...

Enough talking...to the pics!

KIMG0922.JPGKIMG0923.JPGKIMG0926.JPG20180704_184140.jpg20180704_184225.jpg20180804_125834.jpg20180804_125909.jpg20180804_130731.jpg20180804_130717.jpg20180804_133641.jpg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi just.wing.it,
Very nice for the 1st try. Looks like you is having an excellent sumo bonsai there.
Thụ Thoại

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice job! Looks great. Two big fat trunks. Why did you leave the top portion in the milk jug instead of just planting it?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice job! Looks great. Two big fat trunks. Why did you leave the top portion in the milk jug instead of just planting it?
Because its just lava and pumice (would fall apart), with a layer of sphagnum.... Probably could have repotted normally, but I'm just playing it safe.
Let the escaping roots run in the pot until next spring. Then I'll sort out the roots and make a final cut on the bottom of the layer.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might want to put your foil back on.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't manage well over winter, so lost some....hoping to get one to live longer than a minute....dang it!!

Good luck with 'em. :cool::cool::cool:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Can't manage well over winter, so lost some....hoping to get one to live longer than a minute....dang it!!

Good luck with 'em. :cool::cool::cool:
I'm gonna put my stuff in plastic bins on a thick layer of mulch, surrounded and burried in mulch, under the cover my front porch....we'll see.
First year in the new place...

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Grats :) I'm viewing this on my phone so apologies if this is wrong but it looks like the top cut site has a few raggy edges? You can use a grafting knife or box cutter to ensure that this cut is as clean as possible because callus will occur faster & it will start throwing roots more effectively. I have a grafting knife I use specifically for cleaning up wounds - it makes a difference.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Grats :) I'm viewing this on my phone so apologies if this is wrong but it looks like the top cut site has a few raggy edges? You can use a grafting knife or box cutter to ensure that this cut is as clean as possible because callus will occur faster & it will start throwing roots more effectively. I have a grafting knife I use specifically for cleaning up wounds - it makes a difference.
Oh, yeah... You're right!
I didn't clean up that cut...
I'll have to do that tomorrow....
Thanks for the heads up!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well done on a great material. Good job reducing the foliage of separated part.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
You did very well grasshopper. Now wire those things and make them look like something!!!

I've heard you mention clip and grow before but just know that clip and grow also employs mechanical means to set branches. They just don't use what the tree grows. whether its guy wires or fish weights or wire, you still have to manipulate branches into asthetically pleasing places. Then build tertiaries by clipping.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You did very well grasshopper. Now wire those things and make them look like something!!!

I've heard you mention clip and grow before but just know that clip and grow also employs mechanical means to set branches. They just don't use what the tree grows. whether its guy wires or fish weights or wire, you still have to manipulate branches into asthetically pleasing places. Then build tertiaries by clipping.
Thanks Al!
I will wire them in fall, assuming I get more growth in August.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Just asking, why the fall?

Loose in the pot?

Top Bottom