My 20yrs Work on a Procumbens Juniper

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Finished? Nah, there’s always something that can be done to take it to the next level. For this particular tree, if it was mine, I’d consider revealing more of the trunk from the front of the tree. I’d also think about adding some deadwood features for contrast.

Exhibit it as it is now. Enjoy it now that it has fulfilled the vision you had for it for so many years. Then, when the shine of its current configuration eventually wears off for you and you get a little bored with it, come up a new vision for the next 10 years.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a few more pics with the first one being the immediate styling after purchase in 2002. I get a lot of slack for not showing the trunk on this one but as you can see the trunk looks like a bent up hose and being subjected to a pot it's entire bonsai life it hasn't expanded much at all. My biggest mistake was not keeping the tree small in proportion to the trunk but sometimes with so many things going on in life time slips away and before you know it a lot of things get away from you and that includes bonsai.

The second pic is probably where I should have kept it in size, so if you can bear looking at the tree without a massive trunk showing on this one then enjoy. :)
junip litpot4-17.jpg
DSCF1128 redo.jpg

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I like it but a lot is lost under all the foliage. It reminds me ever so slightly of a wooly mammoth 😁

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I think I remember this tree from Gardenweb or IBC back in the early 2000s. You had a few like this if I remember correctly. Excellent sustained work over a long period.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice head of hair but where is the trunk, the branches, and the nebari? I think you need to remove some branches and open up the design to show the structure of the tree.

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
Congratulations, you did it! It probably takes a lot of courage to share a personal project you've been working on for 20 yrs. The weight of that decision isn't wasted on me, thanks for sharing it with all of us. :)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good accomplishment so far. Love last pot pictured🥰🤩. Where did pot come from please?

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good accomplishment so far. Love last pot pictured🥰🤩. Where did pot come from please?
That last pot is a Tokoname pot bought back around 2005 or so from Dallas Bonsai which is no longer around. :cool:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That last pot is a Tokoname pot bought back around 2005 or so from Dallas Bonsai which is no longer around. :cool:
I also like the "version" in tokoname pot better, though like them all.

When you did the first styling in 2002, how many years of experience you already have then?

Top Bottom