My $5 Lowes juniper after 1 year

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm mostly a tropical tree guy, 90% of my trees are trops because I just never seem to have the touch for other species. In 2015 I did pick up a juniper from Lowes at the end of the season and I waited till Spring 2016 to give it it's first work over. This was it after putting in a grow box but before any work was done.

5qz1cc.jpg

Then this is it after my unskilled fingers went to work on it for a bit.
SkUTUF.jpg

Now this is it today after it's 2nd little work over session this morning.
61ScKF.jpg

Obviously not a show tree by any means, but I have to say I'm quite pleased with how this little $5 guy is coming along. Seems to be healthy and filled in a good deal after just one year.

One thing I am up in the air about is getting rid of one of the main branches. I like the twin trunk style I went with for it, but I'm considering removing the lowest branch on the left trunk (one that is wired right now) and then maybe wiring down one of the other branches above it to take it's place. Just not sure if that lower branch is maybe to straight or not right now I keep going back & forth on cutting it.

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like what you have going. Keeping it alive is a great start

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks. I only ever had one other Juniper when I first got into bonsai about 6 yrs ago and I managed to kill that one inside of 5 months lol. This one seems to be doing good so I'm trying to do a little at a time as to not send this one to the bonsai graveyard like some of my others lol

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Looks good so far. Id take that one off and the other on the back side. It t bars the first branch on the other trunk. If you wire and pull down another branch keep it slightly higher than the first branch on the right trunk. It'll look nice and balanced I think.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
yYYbhq.jpg

Is this what you mean Soldano...so get rid of the one I was thinking (lowest left one) but then the other lower left one that shoots back a bit. Then maybe bend down the one above a bit once those two are gone?

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
yYYbhq.jpg

Is this what you mean Soldano...so get rid of the one I was thinking (lowest left one) but then the other lower left one that shoots back a bit. Then maybe bend down the one above a bit once those two are gone?
Thats what I'm talking about.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Okay, I think you may be on to something there. I was only thinking of removing that first lowest left one originally, but I do think I like your idea of removing the two then bringing that upper one down. I didnlt even notice the "in-line T bar" till you pointed it out. It does have that at the moment now that you mention it.

Appreciate the input, thanks!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it were mine, I would cut that straight and boring left trunk right off it. The right side has some nice movement that is ruined by that straight trunk

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is shockingly evocative of my typical adventure. I fiddly fart around and say, 'huh, that's kinda cool, but doesn't quite work - why?'
Your 'creation' catches my eye, but then I look closer and find all kinds of things to be just crap. I suppose @Soldano666's branch removal is a good idea as it just continues a big bar running across the middle of the composition. That jin thing isn't doing anything good either - it is just too dam distracting - crush the end of it with your pliers and start peeling off some wood so this thing is a whole lot shorter.

Then, you've got a whole lot of straight lines for structure (not that there is anything wrong with that - it is a masculine image of straight lines and abrupt changes in direction). AND, what's up with that hairdo? Eddy Murphy as 'Butwheat'?

So I start thinking, 'where is the foliage going to go?', 'what kind of pads am I going to make?', 'ah, shit, what is this?'. Two trunks with foliage the same height will always look like a sling shot --> one has to be taller than the other, which one?.

Now I am really frustrated. What is it that catches my eye? The longer I look, the more I cannot say. What pleases you? If you can answer, maybe you/we can figure out what to do to make everything else frame/flatter and draw attention to it. Then you will be getting somewhere and the rest of can learn from your struggle/adventure.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow Osoyoung...step on any kittens to your way to that reply? lol. Hey listen, I appreciate any help that's for sure. But stuff like that man, that's what makes people leave or feel sites like this are full of pompous members man, seriously. While I do appreciate your thoughts and welcome advice, there's no need what so ever to to say someone's stuff is "crap" nor make snide remarks for whatever reason.

As I said, I'm a tropical guy, this is my first venture into anything other than tropicals. While I am use to rude internet people, replies such as yours? that's what puts new people off sites such as this.

Perhaps you did not mean it that way, but I found your reply quite negative/insulting. If you did not mean it that way then I apologize deeply, I maybe read it totally wrong, which would not surprise me at all. Just seemed insinuative for no reason at first read though?

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is shockingly evocative of my typical adventure. I fiddly fart around and say, 'huh, that's kinda cool, but doesn't quite work - why?'

He's just saying he sucks at styling.....too!

It's hard to read sometimes...
This is the second time I had to remind people 0so is not an asshat! Maybe it was assclown.

You DO have to make this thing better...
Which...
If you start utilizing your fish tank eye ....
Should be easy as hell for you!

Utitlize the cross training!

Beautiful rods...
Beautiful tanks....
The determination to accomplish a couple health feats....

You have everything it takes!

I think by fall eighteen you can thin it and put a full styling to it.

Naked mermaid sexy!

Sorce

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you are heading in the right direction.

I would wire everything. I think you can get a very pleasing image with everything the tree has now.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would cut nothing and try to use as much of the tree as possible. Once cut it's lost... What you don't need for your design later may be used for deadwood, so let the jins grow.:)
I'm pretty sure all branches and trunks are still bendable so I'd wire and open the canopy a bit.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I dont realy read 0soyoung his comment as a negative message
More like thinking out loud to search for flaws/sollutions to some aspects of this tree together with the rest of the bnuts here to learn from together

Id rather get such a comment instead of just wow cool tree!

You now have a great 5$ start but now find a way to the next level !

Im with the other comments to get wire in and work with all of it offers and open it up to get the light in!
Then step by step deletion of unwanted misplaced branches over the comming seasons and maybe some new growth provides new posibilitys
Good luck

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The reply just read wrong to me as I said it may have, always hard to read what someone truly means when online given nothing but written text. The last thing I want is just the "cool tree" type of reply, anyone that knows me knows I don't post just to get a "cool" reply, I simply enjoy things and like sharing with other like-minded folks. The tree in this post as I mentioned is basically my first Juniper so I was just asking about whether I should remove the branch I was thinking of removing, I wasn't wanting to get rid of the twin trunks or chop it or remove most the foliage or anything like that.

I always appreciate help and tips/idea but one thing (and this isn't meant offensively by any means) but one thing I have noticed in the few years I have been on this site is how many times I have seen people told they are doing it wrong. I get that there are ways to do things in bonsai, that's good and I always strive to learn proper techniques, but I also feel that just because someones tree is not how someone else would do it or to someone else's style/taste, it doesn't make it "wrong". If someone enjoys their tree and is just looking for a little feedback on a certain thing on it, far too many times I have seen them told "this is wrong that is wrong chop it to the ground and wait 10 yrs". Just seems to me there should be more more appreciation for people liking variety rather than telling someone it has to be done this way or no way. If it is a tree that is going to be judged in a show that is one thing, but most average guys like me just have them for our own enjoyment in our yards.

And again I apologize to 0soyoung because he was not trying to be like that, I'm just explaining why I took the reply that way at first read is all.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In that case
Remove the branch and lower one above that one

Try a savanna style tree with the flat top

I do understand what you are saying about the your doing it wrong comments!

there is also people who cant handle critisism realy wel those are the cool tree comment seekers

And then there is the i know the answer and i just wont reply but hit the like button people lol

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Steve, I can definitely imagine a full sized version of this tree in the desert. The shape is very believable. A little work and time to give it a feeling of old age and you'll really have a winner.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another option might be to cut off everything above that left branch (the one crossed out in red), and bend that branch up to be the new trunk segment...and develop a shorter canopy on that side. If you remove the low branch and keep everything above it, it accentuates that straightness that @Paradox mentioned. I would definitely go ahead and shorten that jin that runs from the right trunk to the left, right now it "kisses" the left trunk and looks like an unnatural connection (to me at least).

Tree looks healthy!

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good point about that jin'd branch. I didn't even notice that it does look like it goes over to the left truck way too far from the front view. I'm going to play around with this one again after the show tomorrow so I think I'll shorten that up at the same time I get rid of the low left branch and see what it looks like then.

Top Bottom