My Adjustable Height/Swiveling Tables, Basically Finished

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi All,
Being that I really didn't want to spend several hundred dollars on just ONE of these tables, I decided to try and "build" them on my own.

The rest of the parts & tables arrived yesterday, and I simply swapped-out one of the flat bases with the base that has the inline-skate wheels.
I do most of my work in the backyard, and this thing travels over the grass with no issues at all.
Or I could just use the flat based table.

The flat-based unit adjusts from 27 1/2" to 36" fully extended.
The wheeled based unit adjusts from 29 1/2"" to 38" fully extended.

According to the product description, the cylinder is rated to 110lbs., which IMHO is great for bonsai work.
Anything larger than 110lbs., might pose an issue when trying to compress the cylinder (in order to lower the table). You have to push-down on the top, to lower it.

Next Step(s):
I might also add a 24" wooden table-top (shown in one of the photos) to at least one of the tables, because the existing black table-tops are MDF with a coating/covering on them. Naturally, I'd treat the wooden top prior to installation.

I'm now looking for thin rubberized matt material that can be placed on top, to prevent sliding of the pots.

The tops also swivel 360 degrees, but they don't "lock" (YET). So I'm working on an idea to add some sort of a locking mechanism. Possibly a magnetized device??? Then again, I might just leave them as they are.

Might add several screw-in "eyes" or brackets, to enable tie-down capability.

Suggestions on improvement features/feedback is always appreciated.

Final Thoughts So Far:
At this point, I am extremely happy with the results.
And if anyone would like further information on these handy goodies, I'll be happy to share it with you.

Best Regards,
BigBen

Base.jpg Base And Cylinder.jpg Both Bases And Cylinder.jpg Short Table Assembled.jpg Table Assembled Tall.jpg Both Tables Assembled 2.jpg Short Table Assembled.jpg Both Tables Assembled 2.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well done! Mighty fine work. Now the test will be if you can get it dirty by working.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice work @BigBen.

Do you have a way that the stand could be adjusted for sitting on an irregular and/or tilted surface?
I like to work on my trees outside on a natural rock patio or sometimes in my driveway which is slanted. I've thought about doing what you've done, but haven't come up with a good solution for the table tilting/rocking.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks everyone, for the kind words.

Nice work @BigBen.

Do you have a way that the stand could be adjusted for sitting on an irregular and/or tilted surface?
I like to work on my trees outside on a natural rock patio or sometimes in my driveway which is slanted. I've thought about doing what you've done, but haven't come up with a good solution for the table tilting/rocking.

Hi Osoyoung,
Depending upon how tilted the surface is...
The only remedies I can think of are:

1) Installing "feet" with long adjusting rods, as opposed to wheels. However you will be limited in the amount of adjustment/travel available, because the adjustment rod can only go as high as the housing that it is in. This makes

2) Propping-up the feet/base with something.

3) Install a swivel mechanism that also tilts.

I think #1 would be your best solution.
Then again, it all depends upon HOW SEVERE that driveway slant actually is.

I Hope That Helps You,
BigBen

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Oh, and BTW, these tables and the additional parts are all readily available.

My total cost for BOTH of these, was a FRACTION of what some others go for!

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice work @BigBen.

It's not gonna work for BigBen's set up or a setup where you change location often but adjustable furniture taps is what I was looking into for my future build. A quick search gave me this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015TLY4YM/ref=psdcmw_511274_t2_B06Y5ML5ZQ

Slow to change over to different heights but it would work

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi TyroTinker,
Yup, they'd work, but only if a hole was drilled in the top of the base, to allow room for adjusting.

Ya know what I mean?
The adjustment rod has to have adequate room to travel upwards, for when adjustments are made to lower the table.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi!
Yeah I like that one better. But it still isn't a quick fix for switching from one place to another like osoyoung would need. But I'm going to save your link for future use.
By the way I like your stand as is. It's clever and simple.
I always over complicate things at first, but then I will usually simplify when I realize the complex stuff isn't needed. (It's a terrible cycle)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I made one out of an adjustable lab stool and a piece of wood. It cost me around $100 for the materials and it worked but was rather annoying to push back down when I wanted to lower the tree.
I also found that there were times that I just wanted to stand up for a bit and it didnt have the height for that.
So I gave that to a friend of mine and ended up buying one of the bonsai work stands made by Mecco.
I had resisted it because of their cost, but while doing long wiring or needle plucking sessions, being able to relieve my sore arse and stand up without causing a sore back is worth every penny.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi All,
Some good feedback...

I actually also looked into the barber AND office chair bases. And although I believe they'd be pretty neat, what I found out is the "throw" (rise) is only but a few inches, so it wouldn't go high enough for what I wanted.
And unless there's another way to compress that cylinder (without someone sitting on it), I'd also be afraid that it would take far too much pressure to compress the cylinder/piston by hand without someone's ass sitting on it. LOL...

I also looked at Drafting Chairs, and decided to go the way I went instead with these tables (readily available).

I actually built BOTH of my for approx. $120, excluding the wooden top that I go from a local home center.
Assembly time is only about 5 minutes. ;)

BigBen

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
although I believe they'd be pretty neat, what I found out is the "throw" (rise) is only but a few inches, so it wouldn't go high enough for what I wanted.

Very true. For the barber chairs they are limited to 12" or 18". Not a lot. And they are very heavy and don't have mobile bases. However for larger trees they work well because they are relatively low to start with, and you often want to get up and above some of your larger trees to work on.

Smaller trees I just use a turn table on a patio table :) Or sometimes even an upturned Home Depot bucket :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting!

Found me a bar stool yesterday.

But yeah....

I like to stand too!

Sorce

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use an old school TV video camera tripod. Put away right now....but I took a photo of it where it is stored when not in use. The top, not attached in the photo, is 1" thick wood....about a 24" circle, rotates and easily locked and unlocked. The height adjustment is that wheel in front...which gives me about 18 additional inches. The tripod is heavy duty...legs lock to uneven surface needs.

Attachments

• IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 34

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yea, there's definitely a ton of options out there, from which to choose from.
Just gotta go with which unit meets your individual needs.
I'll be looking at adding option(s) to mine this weekend, if I get some time.
Not exactly which option(s) though, IF I add any at all.
LOL...
Any thoughts?
Or just leave them the heck alone for now???

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi All,
Being that I really didn't want to spend several hundred dollars on just ONE of these tables, I decided to try and "build" them on my own.

The rest of the parts & tables arrived yesterday, and I simply swapped-out one of the flat bases with the base that has the inline-skate wheels.
I do most of my work in the backyard, and this thing travels over the grass with no issues at all.
Or I could just use the flat based table.

The flat-based unit adjusts from 27 1/2" to 36" fully extended.
The wheeled based unit adjusts from 29 1/2"" to 38" fully extended.

According to the product description, the cylinder is rated to 110lbs., which IMHO is great for bonsai work.
Anything larger than 110lbs., might pose an issue when trying to compress the cylinder (in order to lower the table). You have to push-down on the top, to lower it.

Next Step(s):
I might also add a 24" wooden table-top (shown in one of the photos) to at least one of the tables, because the existing black table-tops are MDF with a coating/covering on them. Naturally, I'd treat the wooden top prior to installation.

I'm now looking for thin rubberized matt material that can be placed on top, to prevent sliding of the pots.

The tops also swivel 360 degrees, but they don't "lock" (YET). So I'm working on an idea to add some sort of a locking mechanism. Possibly a magnetized device??? Then again, I might just leave them as they are.

Might add several screw-in "eyes" or brackets, to enable tie-down capability.

Suggestions on improvement features/feedback is always appreciated.

Final Thoughts So Far:
At this point, I am extremely happy with the results.
And if anyone would like further information on these handy goodies, I'll be happy to share it with you.

Best Regards,
BigBen

View attachment 159780 View attachment 159781 View attachment 159782 View attachment 159783 View attachment 159784 View attachment 159785 View attachment 159783 View attachment 159785
Is this pretty much what you got?IMG_3114.PNG

I have been looking for something like this but felt they were too short to work on most trees standing up and the adjustment height range is very small... are they sturdy?

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi Eric,
Yes, that's them.
I paid $69.95 online for TWO of them, including shipping. They were $47.99 for one, and $69.95 for TWO of 'em... So it was an easy decision... LOL...
I purchased the wheels & extra base elsewhere though.

Naturally, the inline skate wheels added a little height too.

They're definitely sturdy for what we'll need them for. You DO need to push them down to lower them though.
Not difficult at all. I lay my forearm down on the center of the table top, hold the lever and push down. Piece of cake.

Top Bottom