My Bald Cypress Came Out Of Dormancy Early

Omar

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all,
My BC began emerging from dormancy very early this year, around last week or so. Should I wait until the buds swell a little more or should I be good to repot this weekend? I'm having a difficult time judging the most ideal time to repot.

20170301_184724.jpg20170301_184656.jpg 20170301_184513.jpg20170301_184143.jpg

Omar

Yamadori
Reaction score
Good to go, repot soon before the foliage emerges. Afterward protect from frost and give it lots of sun.

Aaron

Thanks very much Aaron. I lost a tree last year when the same thing happened and we were hit by a late March frost. I'll definitely be more vigilant this year.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks very much Aaron. I lost a tree last year when the same thing happened and we were hit by a late March frost. I'll definitely be more vigilant this year.
Late frosts are awful, we always have them here. I've lost a few trees in the same manner, I like to stick my BC in my tropical greenhouse after repotting, no chance of frost and the heat and humidity really get it jump started on the season.

Aaron

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
With BC as tough as they are wouldn't it be better to wait till after any frost hazard?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
With BC as tough as they are wouldn't it be better to wait till after any frost hazard?
That's another two and a half months for me, all my trees would be fully leafed out by then! I repot when buds swell and protect from frost from there on.

Aaron

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The one I collected was 12' or so and leafed out I'm mid March. Chopped out the bottom 30" and potted it up. Took 3 weeks or so then it started budding everywhere. I did mine two weeks ago and have to play the in out game now. Next year I think I'll try waiting till after last frost.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
In my 20 years of repotting trees, I have never been able to repot- excluding conifers- after the risk of frost is gone. Back when there were real winters and I lived in MA, my maples would start swelling in late March or early April... the last frost date was early to mid May. Here in N GA, I've had maples breaking dormancy in mid January this year, though they usually will get started by late February... last frost date around here is early to mid April. My point is that it's a pipe dream thinking you won't have to protect your trees at some point during the spring unless you grow only extremely cold hardy junipers and pines. The take away here is to site your trees appropriately during the winter (consistently cold/preferably frozen and out of the sun) so they stay dormant as long as possible... and when they begin to break dormancy, repot as needed and protect from freezing weather as needed.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
In my 20 years of repotting trees, I have never been able to repot- excluding conifers- after the risk of frost is gone. Back when there were real winters and I lived in MA, my maples would start swelling in late March or early April... the last frost date was early to mid May. Here in N GA, I've had maples breaking dormancy in mid January this year, though they usually will get started by late February... last frost date around here is early to mid April. My point is that it's a pipe dream thinking you won't have to protect your trees at some point during the spring unless you grow only extremely cold hardy junipers and pines. The take away here is to site your trees appropriately during the winter (consistently cold/preferably frozen and out of the sun) so they stay dormant as long as possible... and when they begin to break dormancy, repot as needed and protect from freezing weather as needed.

yep and yep - there is a freeze coming up and i'll have to do a shuffle with most of my tree's

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My BC began emerging from dormancy very early this year, around last week or so. Should I wait until the buds swell a little more or should I be good to repot this weekend? I'm having a difficult time judging the most ideal time to repot.

Way to early in your area for this to be budding at all. With rough weather coming put it in an unheated shed, garage, or entry way out of sun until the frosts pass. Discuss when to repot after all danger of frost is gone - serious, don't mess with it now.

Grimmy

Omar

Yamadori
Reaction score
Way to early in your area for this to be budding at all. With rough weather coming put it in an unheated shed, garage, or entry way out of sun until the frosts pass. Discuss when to repot after all danger of frost is gone - serious, don't mess with it now.

Grimmy

I completely agree but there was unseasonably warm weather the last 10 days in February, 3 or 4 days where temperatures were in the low 60s. No choice but to deal now and protect it to the best of my ability.

Another question that now arises is the temperature at which the tree needs protection? Should I bring it indoors for brief periods when temperatures are expected to be <40? What's the lowest temperature that it can now safely tolerate?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What's the lowest temperature that it can now safely tolerate?

That is a question many will argue as all are from different locations. My climate is similar so I will tell you what I would do.
I would take it into a shed, garage, as I already stated and leave it there until all danger of frost has past. That will be several weeks but I know this tree in North East climate and firmly believe it is the best thing to do.
Don't dance, just shelter - easy honest.

Grimmy

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm a noob don't listen to me, but Repot that mofo SOON.

Top Bottom