My beginner bonsai collection (Tips/Advice/Suggestions wanted please)

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DSC01717.jpg

Japanese Black Pine.
DSC01718.jpg

Japanese Black Pine.
DSC01719.jpg

Japanese Black Pine.
DSC01720.jpg

Procumbens Juniper.
DSC01721.jpg

Trident Maple. This started out as a 2 year sapling. I have been growing it in that pot ever since.
DSC01722.jpg

Itoigawa Shimpaku Juniper. (Not styled by me. Was an eBay purchase.)
DSC01723.jpg

DSC01724.jpg

Katsura Japanese Maple. I want this to become a potential bonsai one day.
DSC01726.jpg

Italian Stone Pine. I purchased this around Christmas, and did some pruning on it. I would like for this to become a potential bonsai.
DSC01729.jpg

Procumbens Juniper. My first ever bonsai. A gift from my girlfriend.
DSC01730.jpg

Blue Atlas Cedar. This guy has a long ways to go, but it's taking a long time. It hasn't shown any signs of new growth since early last year.
DSC01731.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice assortment, thanks for sharing. The JBP in the second photo (chikugo-en nursery?) and the itoigawa have very good trunk movement.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How did you guess? Though it is possible it came from that nursery. It was an eBay purchase. I bought it from this seller. He ships his merchandise from El Monte, CA. Thanks for your comments. Can you give me any advice? :)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
How did you guess? Though it is possible it came from that nursery. It was an eBay purchase. I bought it from this seller. He ships his merchandise from El Monte, CA. Thanks for your comments. Can you give me any advice? :)

Similar color, size, cuts, and shape as a couple 1-gallon JBP Gary Ishii sold me last year.

Advice? Read everything you can get your hands on, contemplate your trees, take your time. Think in terms of seasons and years, not weeks and months. Everyone has an opinion; listen to people whose trees you appreciate.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you. I will do this. I checked out your web page, and wow... Is all I have to say. I may have to take a road trip up to Chikugo-en Nursery one of these days. I try to buy the best books I can find, find deals on authentic Japanese tools, pots, trees, watch Graham Potter's Youtube channel, and so forth.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
the shimp and the pine are nice... the procumbens has potential .... the others need time ... lots of it .... growing things out in little pots won't net you much size ever ... that's fine of course if you are after tiny bonsai...

Brian's advice (as usual) is great ... listen to those people who create what you hope to create ... while there are many hard and fast truths in bonsai there are places for opinion (mostly in styling) .... horticulture is a science after all...

best advice I can give is find a local club... lucky for you living in CA that means there is no shortage of great clubs whose members can mentor you on your way....

most important of all .... have fun .... enjoy yourself and push yourself to step outside your comfort zone... you'll be surprised what you can accomplish ... :)

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
yeah I guess Harry knows a thing or two :p ( that is entirely tongue in cheek )

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are some very nice trees to begin with. Great varieties for bonsai, although I'm not sure the Japanese maple will thrive in the heat where you live - local bonsai folks can tell you about that better than I. It's always key to understand what grows well in your climate as a bonsai - old-timers in your local club can best give that advice, as well as point you to cheap sources of good material, and cheap sources of soil components that work well in your climate.

Some of your trees, as mentioned, already have promising trunk movement - the fact that you picked them out shows you have a good eye.

The advice above is solid. I'll add my highly-deflated 2 centavos, and I'll base it upon my suspicion that you may be in this for the long haul.

Bonsai can be an expensive hobby, so it is wise to understand the best allocation of your resources unless you are fairly well off. The trick is to spend as much as you need in order to get great material - skimp elsewhere, if you have to, but get the best material you can afford: that will produce an excitement and satisfaction that will sustain the hobby for years. Loosing some of those great potential bonsai will also inoculate you for the path ahead: even the greats lose lots of trees. Gotta get over that one, and the sooner the better.

You can spend a fortune on books, but if you are really serious about the hobby you will get 90% of everything you need from book-learning by buying John Naka's two volume set, "Bonsai Techniques I & II", and Deborah Koreshoff's "Bonsai". The rest is truly just icing on the cake.

Same with tools. Either get a moderately priced set, or get just a few moderately priced bonsai-specific tools and fill in the rest of what you need much cheaper at Home Depot.

Same with pots. Fairly nice, moderately priced Chinese pots can be had on eBay - a nice pot is worth spending money on once you have some nice trees worthy of them, and will also create the kind of thrill that will keep you in the hobby.

If you don't mind some criticism of the trees you've posted (growing thick skin also helps in this hobby if you're going to post them here :) ), let me say a few things.

As Ang3lfir3 said, most of your trees are so small that they are not likely to keep you in the hobby over the decades it will take to grow them into something in small pots. Best, if you can, to put them in the ground for 5-10 years in your yard, or someone else's yard if you can, planted in good soil in an appropriate location over a tile or plate (to facilitate nebari development). Learn how to do that and how to use that time to turn you seedlings into fabulous starter material.

You have wrapped wire onto several straight branches, and then merely used that wire to bend them down, leaving them straight but better placed. The actual wrapping is done fine, but what you have used it for is a waste of wire and effort. The hobby will quickly become a much greater source of enthusiasm and pleasure if you use wrapped wire to create in each branch the same sort of movement someone has created in the trunks of you more interesting trees. My tutorial at BonsaiSite on "Baby Bending" will explain this further.

Horticulture trumps styling every time, so learn how best to keep your trees alive first. Styling is best learned, or rather inspired [Derivation: To take in the Spirit] by building up your mental reservoir of images. There are two common ways of doing this. The first method is to look as much as you can at well-made bonsai, in books and magazines and online and such, but preferably in person. Second, and IMO the more helpful, is to study how trees grow and look in nature by getting out there to the wild places. As opposed to the first method, which may help you create convincing bonsai, studying nature will help you create convincing trees.

Clubs, online resources, maybe someday a teacher - Others may have a lot of great advice along those lines.

You're off to a good start and seem to have a good eye. Hope my ramblings help.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for your constructive criticism. I really appreciate it. :cool:

The Katsura Japanese maple that I have (I also have a Bloodgood, and an Ariadne, but I do not intend on training them) do indeed grow okay in my climate. The only downside is that our summer sun usually burns their leaves to a crisp. It doesn't kill the trees, but it does put a damper on their beauty which in my opinion are their showy leaves.

I live in an apartment building. So since I do not have access to planting these trees in ground, I have to suffice with pots instead. And if it means planting them in a larger pot, that can be done. The Katsura J.M., and the Atlas Cedar I've already planted in a much larger pot. I know it will take many years before they mature, but this is something I want to endure.

And yes, I have already found that this is indeed an expensive hobby lol, but just because it is doesn't mean I want that to dissuade myself from this hobby. I love this form of art. It fascinates the hell out of me. :eek:

As far as tools go, I know they are not Joshua Roth, but I've gotten myself a decent set of Japanese made Fujiyama tools courtesy of Dallas Bonsai. Pots, I have bought from this seller. I have found eBay to be my goldmine for starter material, or anything else I've trying to get my hands on.

Thank you for your reply, and hopefully I will get better in time.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I need to appologize to you for coming to this thread so late as to seem I am piling on in some way; I am not. You have quite a few nice, very young trees to watch develop. I would suggest to you, a trip to a couple of nurseries to wade through a bunch of Junipers to see if you can find some material a little more substantial that you can start wring, pruning and styling with more than secondary branching. Just my opinion but you have to set your sights higher eventually. There is nothing wrong with your trees that twenty-years wont resolve. Many beginners come at bonsai thinking that trees are grown up into bonsai. The truth is; most bonsai are cut down into bonsai from larger trees. This is a lesson you need to learn now, rather than latter, but you will come to this conclusion eventually.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was lucky when a year or two into my pursuit of the bonsai hobby to have found a teacher who offered a series of classes. Taught either one evening a week or every other. (It's been over 35 years ago!) Wow! Anyway, we started with formal upright for the first class, then informal the next class, and so on though slants, cascades, windswept and forrest. We used juniper for all but the forrest. That foundation of basic styling has served me well ever since.

The teacher ran a small bonsai shop, and of course, his goal was to create lifelong customers. He did so with me.

None of my "creations" lived very long, by the way. We pruned, wired, and potted in about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. (I think my little hornbeam forrest survived.) I think what killed mine was the drastic rootball reduction. And, then I completely covered mine with sheets of very dense moss. Oh! The moss was wonderful! But it was completely waterproof! No water got to the roots! Now, I don't put moss on at all until I dress it for showing. Alas... the slant tree was rather nice...

But, I would suggest to any beginner that a series of classes like that would be very helpful to their bonsai education.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Blue Atlas Cedar: "It hasn't shown any signs of new growth since early last year."

Your cedar needs to be repotted into a mix that's free draining. The soil looks a little like wet soil. If you repot it in the late winter early spring (which where you are may be January) and remove most of the old soil and get it into a free draining mix and into the sun you'll see it take off.
A few of your plants show an interface with older wetter soil in the center and a drier substrate on the outside. Most will do better when repotting season comes around again and you can get rid of the interface issue and have them in a uniform free draining substrate.
If it's hot and dry there you're going to want to include some screened turface or akadama for moisture retention.
Ian

SantaCruzin

Seedling
Reaction score
If you get a chance, definitely make a road trip to Chikugo-En. Im sure you wont be disapointed.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Grouper said everything well. I'll add a couple of VERY opinionated extras:

1. Trees. Hold back from buying a whole lot of mediocre stock. Save up your money -- pass on any more trees like these -- and buy yourself one or two somethings with some heft to it that you can have a hope of turning it into a nice bonsai in a year or two or three. ALL of yours are 5-10 years (or more) from being anything to write home about. Rather than spending $10 for a tree, save until you can spend $50, $60, or $100 on either pre-bonsai or an already-on-its-way bonsai. Avoid Ebay! FULL DISCLOSURE: My largest tree is just over two feet. Most are under 6 inches, and half are under 4 inches; but I've been in the sport for many years and I specialize in little ones.

2. Tools: ALL you need now with Japanese writing on it is a concave cutter. Everything else is available in the garden department or hardware sections of Sears or the Big Box stores.

3. The San Diego club is very active; they have a permanent display, I understand, at the SD Wild Animal Park. Join. Take every workshop they offer. Attend every demo. Attend the Golden State Bonsai Convention and participate there.

4. Enjoy!

Top Bottom