My big cedar

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
It's my best container plant. I'm proud of it because i bought it as a newly grafted 4 inch pot about ten years ago. It is a 'collectors conifer', Cedrus deodara 'Cream puff'.

It's a little slower growing than the species, but I wouldn't say slow. It was selected for its powder blue color. It took years to start looking tree like, I've never pruned a branch. I staked a leader for a few years until it started showing apical dominance. And it is just now coming into its own. Everyone who sees it comments about it.

Anyway, I'm toying with the idea of making it a bonsai. But not sure if it is ready. The trunk is about two inches thick. The tree itself, it's planted in a whiskey barrel, is probably 6 feet tall or so. So it's big, but the cedar bonsai i see that i like are a little heftier. And I've seen just a few deodara bonsai online. The atlas cedar seems to be more popular for bonsai. To me the deodar is a prettier tree.

Obviously, i like this plant, if i am gonna chop it and make it bonsai i don't want to rush it. I want it perfect.

Should I wait? If i do should i cut back those low branches to get those interior buds growing? The side facing the neighbors lousy fence isn't getting enough sun so i do plan on moving that huge barrel. Any other thoughts or ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 65

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Bonsai

I will definitely wait to do the major stuff until the right season.

But the more i think about it, the more that I am certain its a bonsai tree. I've been in this house about 11 years. I don't want to plant it out, because I'll move in a few years. And it is growing really vigorously. Two years from now it will be monstrous.

To be on the safe side when i start pruning it (late winter early spring) I'll take a bunch of cuttings.

Right now i think pruning it, moving the container to a sunnier spot, giving it another year to thicken up the trunk is the plan. It's growing really well. Maybe one more year is enough to thicken the trunk significantly.

But i know the trunk wont thicken much in a bonsai pot.

Top Bottom