My big project Trident..

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
OK, this is the tree I had to slip pot.. I didn't have the exact right sized pot and didn't pick a front view at the time, so easy on the potting job.. It will find a new home next spring..

I really wanna know what you guys would do branch wise? This tree has a great base and awesome root system.. I am kind of thinking I should shorten up each branch and let it grow from there.. Also thinking of chopping about 4 inches odd of what I am guessing was meant to be the new leader which is unsightly..

Let her rip nuts!!

Don

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 149

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree. :)

In your second picture, it looks like there is a relatively straight section without much taper and which may even have a bulge/inverse taper where the new leader is growing. If that's the case, I would think you may want to consider chopping below that point, with the usual caveat that sometimes it's a bit hard to get the feel of the tree from a 2D picture.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chop ALL branches back by at least two thirds. Grow out the resulting new shoots for two years, chop those back by two thirds or more, repeat until you push movement and taper into the branches.

As things stand now, the branching is uniform, uninteresting with no taper or character. This disparity will only get worse as time passes.. You "build" deciduous branches through repeated clip and grow of new shoot.

Also, as mentioned, the leader appears to need a re-chop to make it less noticeable and more natural looking.

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Chop ALL branches back by at least two thirds. Grow out the resulting new shoots for two years, chop those back by two thirds or more, repeat until you push movement and taper into the branches.

As things stand now, the branching is uniform, uninteresting with no taper or character. This disparity will only get worse as time passes.. You "build" deciduous branches through repeated clip and grow of new shoot.

Also, as mentioned, the leader appears to need a re-chop to make it less noticeable and more natural looking.

Agreed.. Thank's for the input.. Let's Chop!!:D:D

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Very nice tree. Get rid of he two lower right hand branches (bar branches to that nice left-hand branch) and get some foliage on the top and you have a winner!

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 77

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I agree with many of the points made in this thread so far, but it is a very nice choice of stock to start from.

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
All the branches have been cut back to a third, a new leader was chosen, and the 2nd branch up on the right (the big ugly one) is gone.. Could not post pics, but will try again later..

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Scissor's are on the shelf for this guy..

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 93

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It could be the photos, but it looks like you still have inverse taper issues at the top. Are you considering further reducing the trunk to maybe where those two bar-type branches are?

Not saying that I would make the further reduction now, given how much you took off the tree already.

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
It is a bit of an optical illusion.. it's not bad when u see the tree in person.. I will address it after it grows out a little.. I don't wanna shorten this tree anymore, so I may have to do a little grinding..

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start :D

I'd get rid of that knot of branch stubs on the left hand branch in the first photo. It will only get uglier and heavier and will serve as a central growth point for the subsequent branching at the expense of branching down the better section of the branch.

I'd also shorten the right hand lower branch by half too...

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hey rock, when u say the left knot of branches do u mean the bottom left?

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I chopped below the reverse taper and shortened the branches.. Why? Maybe I'm a little crazy? Let's see how bulletproof these guys are.. If it dies, I'm out a few bucks.. If it lives it will be an awesome tree.. Either way I'm learning some kind of lesson.. LMAO!! :D

I'll keep u posted..

Now I get it.... Bonsainut....

Don H.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Hey rock, when u say the left knot of branches do u mean the bottom left?"

Yep. I'd cut that thing in half.

Don't worry about hacking tridents. They are resilient trees and can take a lot of punishment. It's getting a little late in the season for drastic stuff, but your tree will do fine. Don't let it dry out and don't overwater. Put it in a place out of the afternoon sun.

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Ok, without bein able to put this tree in the ground or graft, how would I feed this trident to get optimal new branching? It is backbudding like crazy..

As far as grafting, if I could get a hold of a trident to use for branching would grafting be a good idea? Or would you just try to grow natural branches?

Thank's
Don

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thread grafts are fairly easy, let a branch grow out from the existing branches, drill a hole thru the tree where you want a branch and bring your long whip thru, almost instant branch. Natural branches are good if you get a bud in the right place, buuuuut, yep getting it to show up in the right place.

Top Bottom