My Biggest Dig yet

BenBSeattle

Sapling
Reaction score
I need help Identifying this pine. I think it's Scots but not 100 % sure. It's my biggest tree yardadori dig yet. It's been demolishing in hellcat as of late but there's a few branches trying to push candles. Collected Oct 2020.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boy! Between digging, cutting back, getting windblown on drive home, etc roots have been brutalized. Will they supply tree to grow/survive? Personally not too optimistic but always hope for best. Could be GREAT tree if surviving.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow. Nice work.

Here's some fun yamadori math I worked out awhile ago, showing how there's an exponential relationship between trunk diameter and the amount of digging and lifting you have to do.

I.e. they're always more work than they look!

Assume that you want to dig out a roughly half sphere of dirt having a radius that is three times the radius of the tree.

That means digging out

1/2 * (4/3 * pi * r^3) OR

2/3 * pi * (1/2 t * 3)^3

For a 5 inch diameter tree, that means about half a cubic foot of soil, or roughly 40 pounds.

But for a 10 inch diameter tree, that means 4 cubic feet of soil, or basically 300 pounds.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
I wish the tree survives but the chances are extremely low - the tree is dying already in my opinion. This is not a broadleaf tree that can regrow roots from thick cut sites. As Japanese say: "The strength in pines comes from roots" and you basically left it with none... Also the transport with roots uncovered didn't help at all - you let what was left of roots to dry out.

Top Bottom