My Birthday present

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently got this tree from Muranaka Bonsai in Nipomi, CA (you might see his e-bay stuff as MBN78).
The nebari needs work, but for the price, I felt this was a nice pine for me to gain some experience.

Comments solicited.

Attachments

• jbp2.JPG
    jbp2.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 98

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Happy belated birthday Barry!

I think the pines that Muranaka sells are quite nice for the price. I was quite pleased with what was going on there when I visited during my trip. George was out but his father (forgive me for not remembering his name) gave me the full tour and even convinced me to pick up a couple of nice little pines like yours. Same type as yours with a good base, decent trunk and some branches in good position but not much to speak of for nebari.

What are your plans? I bare rooted mine (not very good soil) and placed then in a colander with a soil of akadama, pumice and lava. I did some rot spreading as I could. Both seem to be doing well with one really greening up.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Happy Birthday! By the way, in case you didn't know it, they grow all their pines from seed. I recently bought two red pines from George, and his black pines were the source of the pines used in the pine workshop at the GSBF Convention (after purchasing from Muranaka they were placed in the ground for 4-5 years to bulk up prior to the workshop).

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Good learning tree :)
Irene

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I know you took more than just one pic!
Share them :)
Mom

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know you took more than just one pic!
Share them :)
Mom

Actually, I did take only one photo, but I'll take more soon. While looking at this tree, you might have input on my option of reducing the top by a little less than 25%. It has the branching to do it, however, I hesitate because the lower branches are already a little heavy for the tree and I'm afraid reducing the height would only draw attention to the oversized branches.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Ok where are the pics?
Mom

Top Bottom