my Blue Prince Holly

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
reluctant to post this because they pics are garbage. this thing has a significant blue hue to both leaves and the stems

heres my blue prince holly that caught my eye and tapped into my new-season-budget lol (got me for $25 + bs taxes)

was happy to see the thing was super healthy and also had a nice radial root base. i plan to hack this thing back significantly
because i know holly backbud like crazy, once i know its taken to its new home in a month or so. theres a split halfway up i will have to cut below or
figure out how to clean up. might plan on taking main branches (broomstyle down to a few inches each)

these pollinate female holly. this plant i have produces small white flowers in spring and fall.

we have many wild hollys around my property and general area, so i might look to harvest a regular holly and plant it nearby for
winter berry production. also, you cant tell in these photos, but part of what caught my eye is the blue princes (they had about 10 to choose from)
had leaf size about half of typical spikey holly. i personally dont think regular spikey holly leaf size is a problem for bonsai regardless of what people say because i know they can be full out 50-100' trees and run smaller leafs at that size than a lot of maples and other trees people bonsai, oak, etc.

before
20210325_183725_resized.jpg

after
20210325_190644_resized.jpg

one too many rips off the peace pipe or hungry to realise i should have planted it offset to the right, but o well.

for good measure
20210325_164359_resized.jpg

Top Bottom