My Bonsai Adventure 2007

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes, I remember stumbling upon the same fortune cookie factory, with my wife. The ladies kept offering free samples to us.

Yep, Karen hauled me there as well. I of course stared for a few minutes and left with a bag to enjoy. Good munching material.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
October 25, 2007

We picked Brent up at about 9:00 and headed off to Occidental to visit Jim Gremel. How exciting can it be to visit Jim (arguably the best cedar stylist in the US as well as one hell of a shimpaku artist) with Brent? Quite exciting as the day would soon prove.

We crossed the foothills to a commentary by Brent on the local trees we saw along the way. I never realized the diversity in the oak species in northern California. We did a quick pull over to check out a huge tree growing on a rocky outcropping. Brent has been trying to decide if it was a California juniper or a cypress. All I know is that is was a perfect tree on a great rock. We drove thru a small stand of redwoods just prior to arriving at Jim’s place - sweet! They were small second growth but impressive to us none the less.

Once the gate swung open at Deer Meadow Bonsai I was impressed. I also almost had to break in to a run to keep up with Jim and Brent. Those guys were all over, barely giving me time to process what was in front of me. Looks like there will be plenty of back tracking to do today. We headed strait down to the trees planted in the ground. Tons and tons of shimpaku and Japanese Black pine. Jim said he has a problem with propagation. I don’t think he has a problem unless he runs out of places to plant them as there were trees everywhere!

We slid around to the other side of the house and of course there were trees everywhere including some future monster black pines. We spent plenty of time laying flat on the ground to check out the trunks. Once these guys are chopped and dug someone will be scoring some fantastic pines.

Marco Invernizzi was wrapping up for lunch so Jim got a couple of pizzas and some cold drinks for everyone. He was doing a full day workshop with 2 people and the trees were looking great. Marco slipped out and we had the chance to meet and chat after he forced us to sit and eat. I was trying to be a gentleman and let everyone get some food and Marco was trying to make us sit down and throw George and I plates of food.

We were off like a rocket after lunch, wandering some more with Jim and Brent. This time more detailed discussions were taking place about specific trees and where that were headed. I got the video camera and did some wandering. I got to shoot lots of great trees everywhere. It will be a few days before I can digitize all the footage and try to make a simple movie file to share.

In the end I showed restraint and didn’t buy a single tree. The ones I wanter the most were his cedars and I know those will not make it in Florida. I did see one dead one and I should have purchased the dead carcass. Even dead it would be the highlight on my bench. I really should have grabbed one of the junipers he does the Jim thing on, wrapping the trunk and coiling it all over the place. I’ll try to pick one up at the GSBF next week.

The trip back to Brent’s was full of more bonsai and regular tree discussions. So much discussion I nearly ran out of gas. The trip back thru the foothills yielded a different view of some spectacular trees like some big and old blue oaks.

We are completing the chop and plant routine tomorrow at Brent's .

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
October 26, 2007

Last day at Evergreen Gardenworks. Not an overwhelming amount of trees to cut free from pots and plant in the growing field. It went quickly and we were done by lunch. After cleaning up and putting everything away we wandered around, looking at everything again.

My replacement camera body arrived around noon, perfect timing for me to take several hundred shots. I need to sort thru them and I will post a link to a gallery soon. Lots of great development shots on stuff.

We had such a great time we decided to try to do this again next year.

George and Christy fly home on Saturday so most of the day will be traveling back to San Francisco. I'm hoping to have a quiet evening to organize photos and video clips and get some stuff posted.

Has anyone gotten more info on Kim's?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just talked to Benny Kim this morning and he said that the nursery is on it's way out. Not wishing to sell the nursery but just to sell out the stock. I told him that I wished to be there on Wednesday in the morning and he said that was no problem. I look at this as an opportunity to make a couple of quick purchases and do some quality haggleing on price. He does have a good supply of plastic pots,(largest in the nation) and a lot of mica. Probably about a container of wire also.

Could be worth the trip this time around since a future trip could mean it wouldn't be there. If you wish to be there Wednesday morning, you'll catch me there. Tha goes for you to Atilla. Be there or be square.

Cheers, Al

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I just talked to Benny Kim this morning and he said that the nursery is on it's way out. Not wishing to sell the nursery but just to sell out the stock. I told him that I wished to be there on Wednesday in the morning and he said that was no problem. I look at this as an opportunity to make a couple of quick purchases and do some quality haggleing on price. He does have a good supply of plastic pots,(largest in the nation) and a lot of mica. Probably about a container of wire also.

Could be worth the trip this time around since a future trip could mean it wouldn't be there. If you wish to be there Wednesday morning, you'll catch me there. Tha goes for you to Atilla. Be there or be square.

Cheers, Al

You are the man Al. I will indeed be there. Are you driving up on Wednesday or will you be in town already? I don't think I can wait until then so I may go before then to "look". I can't let you beat me to a great deal can I?

So who's in for this and what time?

Thanks again!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll be leaving Wednesday morning about 4AM. Tht should put me in Phelan about 8 in the morning or thereabouts. I do not have to go to Hanford to pick up trees since Bob Hilvers said he could get it all in his truck. That leaves me to take the cut off out of Tehachipi and cut down the 395 to Phelan road and to the nursery.

I expect you will not buy everything. As I well remember whenever I have taken someone there, whatever I pick out as a potential good tree to someone else they never buy and always pick a clunker. Not that you will choose all the clunkers, it's just that taste very so much I am sure with all that will still be there we couldn't possibly want all the same things.

Cheers, see ya in Anahiem, Al

Attachments

• dscf0343.jpg
    dscf0343.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 62
  • dscf0347.jpg
    dscf0347.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 62
  • dscf0348.jpg
    dscf0348.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 57
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow,
I envy the opportunity you guys have right now! I can't wait to see some of the things you bring home!

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
October 28, 2007

I miss San Francisco. Nice place to visit and if you twisted my arm hard enough (and had a truck full of cash I could use to buy a house) I would move without a second thought. Work would be easy to find I would think. Anyhow...

It's a long way south to the LA area. I headed down to Nipomo to visit Muranaka Bonsai. George Muranaka was out but his father was in (lucky me)! I can't remember his name but he was kind enough to give me the nickel tour. He was especially proud of all of his old specimen trees that he has worked on for quite some time. After I wandered and picked a few trees I asked if I could take some photos of his trees. No problem, he even let me in the gate to some fantastic California junipers on display benches.

I picked up a few pre bonsai to pump up our club auction next month. 2 nice cork bark oaks, 2 field grown JBP that were dug in the spring and a small but proportioned trident. All very inexpensive and Mr. Muranaka even gave me a discount because I was from Florida. That will help on the shipping back to Florida.

I took the 166 from Nipomo across to my hotel for tonight. Again I am surprised as to the diversity of the terrain in California. Leaving the coast I hit some nice hills leading to a winding and barren canyon road that wound and twisted forever. I saw some great old oaks and lots of nothing but canyon and sky. I did not find many cars on the road. Once I can out of that area I went thru miles of citrus, peach and cotton.

It's only 9:00 PM but I'm exhausted from the drive. Photos from today here.

The photo is for George. Yes, they were "quickly" and Karen was right, it was very good. I miss San Francisco...

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Al - I'll see you around 9:00, perhaps earlier if I can get going. Look for me - I'll be the confused and slacked jawed Floridian. I would happily accept your suggestions on trees and your opinion on avoiding clunkers. Cash or credit cards there?

Chris - I saw a "pavement ends" sign on the 166 and wanted to shoot a photo for you but alas the pavement ended and I was in a line of cars with no place to pull over. I hope the thought counts?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like a great trip so far Graydon. I have enjoyed your adventures in bonsaidom. I'm glad its you out there at the moment going through Muranaka and Kim's. I would of mortgaged the farm by now. I look forward to pictures of your finds. Thanks for taking the time to make us all drool.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
October 29, 2007

I traveled down I 5 south in to the greater LA area. What a great drive across what I am assuming is the Sierra Nevada Mountains. I can see why so many people are attracted to this area with the Pacific and the Mountains so close. Driving thru LA made me think that spray paint must be cheap and available too. I don't mind graffiti, in fact I find some of it quite nice and think it is an art form of sorts. I don't want my car tagged however...

I decided to swing by to see Roy Nagatoshi on my way in to town. He came to Florida recently and did a workshop with our club. I mentioned at that time I would be coming to the GSBF and he told me to come by and see things. Roy has quite the nursery and collection of trees. I had another one of those speechless moment at Roy's over the grafted California junipers. Roy was kind enough to show me around and provide examples of how the grafting process looks over several years until it eventually becomes natural looking. Wow. I'm going back tomorrow (Tuesday) as I need to absorb this stuff again and wander to see if there is anything I can afford...

Looking at what I would still like to see but somewhat crippled by some of the nurseries not being open on Monday (or Monday - Wednesday) I decided to call Benny Kim and drive over to check out his place. Another long but scenic drive. I'm glad my rental car has unlimited mileage. By the way Pasadena is nice. I need more time there to see if I can spot some wild parrots that live in the area as well as to visit Bungalow Heaven and the Gamble house (gotta love arts and crafts houses).

After what seemed to be forever I arrived at Kim's. I sure am glad I brought a GPS unit for the car as I drove right up to the nursery without getting lost. Those are some nice photos Al posted but as he pointed out it is no longer like that. I do believe this place has seen some tough times and I am afraid much of the material has suffered. I lost count of the hoop houses and green houses that were empty or nearly so. Many were damaged. Many of the pines have lost all of the low growth and most of the deciduous stuff has escaped the nursery cans and rooted in the ground. The junipers are all over and seem to be doing well. Benny was working on a big pine when I arrived and as I walked around I heard a chain saw and a die grinder going. When I came back the tree looked much better.

I'm torn as I want to meet Al at Kim's on Wednesday but I didn't really see anything I can't live without. I love the junipers (simply as trunks for grafting) but once I figure in the shipping it will get expensive fast to get them back to Florida. Renting a truck and driving back would be a better way to go but I'm not set up for that. I will think about this as I do believe the experience with Al alone would be worth the drive.

I'm going to try reaching Gary or Mas at Chikugo-En and see if I can talk them in to opening up for me to visit and shop on Tuesday. Damn shame for me to come all this way not to see the place. I will also make the trip to House of Bonsai.

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
October 30, 2007

I decided not to meet Al at Kim's on Tuesday. Any of the stock I saw that I liked would have been cost prohibitive to ship back to Florida.

My first stop was by House of Bonsai to see what they had going. More of a common nursery with a ton of bonsai supplies and some decent material on hand. Nothing rang my bell here but just looking around led me to believe that the stock here moves quickly and I bet there is some great "private" material somewhere. *** (EDIT - I found the sweet stuff. She had pulled it all and repotted or cleaned it for the vendor area at the GSBF. Very very nice stuff especially the 2 large tridents and 3 or 4 Japanese maples.)*** I picked up some small plastic pots to plant out some seedlings later this winter. Cheap and heavy duty. I should have bought 100 of them as they were less than $1 each. Plenty of soil components as well as a wide selection of pots.

My second stop was to see Gary at Chikugo-En. I called knowing they were closed but I thought if I was polite and explained I was in from Florida that they may open up and let me check it out. Indeed he did open for me. Un-frigging-believable. By far the best retail bonsai nursery I have visited. Sorry, no photos. I asked Gary and he hesitated to say OK. No issues, I respect him for being honest and I understood not wanting to have photos out there of the great stuff behind the walled and gated location. You will need to take my word and go see this place. It would not matter where you came from it would be worth your time. I was told that this place was the best at what they do and that is an understatement. Gary was kind enough to answer any question I had and tell me more about some of the advanced trees and techniques they use to make such great material.

I could not resist and I purchased some shimpaku. A couple of Itoigawa and a couple of Kishu. Three of them are shohin in finished pots and one is larger stock in a nursery can. I had to keep thinking small so I could afford to ship them home. I lust over the larger material but until I can afford the shipping that is out of the question.

October 31, 2007

Halloween at the GSBF show was not too many tricks and many treats (as in all the fantastic exhibit trees and ones for sale in the vendor area). I was one of two volunteers in the vendor area to help them unload and move stuff to their booths. We spent almost the entire day unloading and moving stuff and I was always amazed as to what was coming in for sale. Nice trees and great pots. I was also amazed that everyone wanted to discuss tropicals with me when they found out I was from Florida. Does everyone assume just because I am from Florida that I have and love tropicals? I met so many vendors and exhibitors I can't begin to remember who they are. Several tried to tip us after helping them unload. That is always awkward to me as I am not looking for tips per se - just to meet new people and learn stuff. They could always buy me a beer at the bar for cocktail hour...

I also met Joanie from BT as well as Al Keppler. Al and I chatted for nearly an hour. Al is great and it would be a pleasure to hang out and look at trees or stare at pots. Good times.

Thursday is the start of my video duties. Apparently lots and lots of stuff to shoot including several demos and workshops by Kunio Kobayashi. It's a shame I have to get right up there with Mr. Kobayashi so I can tape his work. Bummer huh?

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
November 1, 2007

What a day. More vendors arrived to set up and thankfully I was able to avoid the moving of trees so I could set up for the video support. I did take some time to go prowl the area and I need to stress this again - top notch material. If you are from California and don't have nice trees you must be blind or broke. No other reason would be acceptable.

First up was shooting some progress footage of a 5 way tree styling contest. The artists were teams from the 5 districts in California. The material was foemina juniper. It was nice to see 5 different approaches to working on 5 nearly identical trees. Great material and plenty of time to do the styling as they had 3 hours today and 2 or 3 hours tomorrow. I doubt any of the teams will use the remaining 3 hours to finish up. They were all looking great.

Our own Al Keppler was a member of a team and I got lots of good footage of him working and thinking.

Hung out a while with Jim Gremel and Gary Ishii from Chikugo-En Bonsai. What a couple of talented and funny bonsai people. Actually everyone has been great. I'm having a blast.

The second thing I shot was the themed Pirate dinner. They had a troupe of actors do a pirate thing and in the end they pulled Mr. Kobayashi out of his seat and made him an honorary Captain and even gave him a jar of dirt. He was a great sport and played along and even post for photos with the actors when it was over. I attached a few of the shots I took. Any guesses on who the pirate is in the last photo?

Attachments

• IMG_3583.jpg
    IMG_3583.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3585.jpg
    IMG_3585.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3595.jpg
    IMG_3595.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 46
  • al.jpg
    al.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like all had a great time. Al looks great adorned in full pirate regalia. Interesting observation though. Looks like Al has been investing in Grecian Formula :)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Tom you should really appreciate the pirate get up, there has been the occasional outfit that could burn retinas, colored pink - the pirate is good.:D

Graydon, I'm jealous. Nice reports by the way. Thank you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Slightly OT, but what do you guys do with the videos? Do you happen to post them on youtube or some other video site? I'm always interested in styling techniques and it's beneficial to watch how other people approach their work.

Thanks for posting your adventure Graydon! Please keep posting your photos as I've been looking at them with great interest. There's clearly a great deal on the West Coast that I need to see/do ;)

-JT

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Last time I saw Graydon he was running around with a camera as big as my torso filming people :) It was nice to meet some of the bonsainuts in person :) Now if only I can decide what to do with that Cali Juniper :)

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
November 2, 2007

Another fun filled day for all. Lots of great workshops again including bald cypress, foemina juniper, black pine and a bring your own tree with Mr. Kobayashi. Good material all around (well I sill think the cypress were ho hum in person but.. great instruction from Mel Ikeda made up for the material). Mr. Kobayashi worked on three trees, all California junipers if I am not mistaken. He puts three pairs of tools on his hand at the same time - quite impressive and efficient. I will post a link to him doing this once I can digitize some footage.

The afternoon Demonstrations were Pedro Morales doing Ficus Nerifolia, Kathy Shaner doing a Liquidambar (a huge one) and Warren Hill doing a Foemina forest. Three hours full of three talented artists. Lots of good photos and video.

So what are you going to do with that California Juniper Mr. Nut? And that camera is not that big... it just looks that way on camera.

What is going to happen with the videos? That is a good question. We call what I am doing here "winging it". I believe a short GSBF convention video will be made. I do have a ton of footage so no doubt something will happen with it. I have not been taping the entire 3 hour sessions, more like progress shots when major changes happen. Whatever does happen I will post a note or link here to let everyone know.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
November 3, 2007

I spent most of the day shooting video of Mr. Kobayashi's demonstration. There were workshops going on but I couldn't break away to catch them. Good stuff I hope. I reviewed some of it on the camera screen but have not had time to dump stuff to the laptop. Shot it all in HD video in 1080i so at least the resolution should be good despite the bad lighting in the room.

I decided to take video of the exhibit trees as the lighting was so poor I would have had to use a flash. Al and I discussed the issues with lighting and being able to see and appreciate the trees and it sounds like he has taken the bull by the horns and will be working for a solution for better lighting in the future.

After the dinner (which I have enjoyed every evening because I get to meet and chat with 9 new people every night) was a big raffle and the auction for the demo trees. The Kobayashi tree went for $4,250 and was a good deal for the winner.

I had an unusual experience after the evening's events wrapped up. I do believe I was sworn to secrecy however so I don't think I can divulge the details. You would think I was nuts if I told you anyway. I can say the Mr Kobayashi seemed to have a good time.

Not much happening on Sunday besides a few critiques and the final raffle at lunch. I think I will pick up a bit more stuff to ship home tomorrow. I hope there are some more volunteers around to help the vendors load up. Three or 4 of us did most of the unloading.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
November 4, 2007

This will be my last entry from the event. It's all over now and its time to go home. I am beginning to miss home. Mosquitoes, humidity and rain all under represented in California. Once I get home and settled in I will begin to sort video clips and update photos.

Simple day, a few workshops and one lecture to check out and shoot for footage. I got some time in the vendor area and bought a pot or 6. I got a couple of tools I have been drooling over and I also picked up a shimpaku for one of my club members. If he does not like it I'll keep it. I got some business cards form some of the vendors I have never heard of so I can try to go see them on my next trip. Several of them were interested in swapping me pines, maples or shimpaku for tropical stock. Sounds good to me. Getting rid of tropicals from Florida and getting some good material in return.

I helped a couple of vendors load up, had lunch and packed my stuff up. I headed out to the car to load up and when I shut the hatch I heard glass fall. Crap. Seems someone did a snatch and grab on my rental car and got a handful of change from the console. Nothing else in the car to steal. After calling the rental company and the local PD I was able to get a Police report and arrange to swap out my car. I did have to drive to the airport to swap it for a vehicle with all the windows intact. Bummer.

All in all a dream trip. I met a ton of great people, had a blast, saw a beautiful state and managed to learn some things along the way. The most impressive thing was the trees out here, both finished and stock material.

Time to pack my plunder for shipping. I'll post some photos of my haul when it arrives in Florida.

Thanks for taking the time to read this stuff and for the comments.

Top Bottom