My Bonsai germinated without cold stratification?

Pierre

Yamadori
Reaction score
the other one did not make it, maybe because it was too leggy. should I keep my current bonsai seedling in that small pot for now. I also got myself a Jerusalem pine bonsai grow your own set.

rawlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Pierre -
I think that depends on the pot and where you will be keeping the seedling in the coming months. You’re going to want to keep it watered but not waterlogged in these early days, which might be easier to manage with a slightly larger pot, with good drainage. (Not sure if that one has drainage holes or not.) I started mine indoors in a largish houseplant pot in the winter, then moved them all into individual 3-4 inch pots as soon as they were exposed to warmer outdoor conditions, as shown in my photos above.

You may also want to think about root cutting to develop nebari, and/or some other first year items, which might prompt a change to a different pot or soil. I would highly recommend taking a look at the posts on Jonas Dupuich’s Bonsai Tonight site that are tagged with “Black Pine” and “Seedling” - especially “How to grow Japanese black pine from seed” and “How to create seedling cuttings - Japanese black pine”. While you may not want or need to do everything he addresses there, you may find the overview useful for helping you plan for the future development.

Good luck with them!

- Mike

rawlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Neglected to mention that one other reason I went for a different first year pot is that I bury my seedlings in the garden (covered by mulch) over the winter, and I suspect (though I’m not certain) that the larger pot size insulates the roots better. (At least reduces the risk that fine roots wind up in contact with ceramic at subzero temps)

- Mike

Last edited:

Pierre

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi mike

the current pot my bonsai seedling is in has got a drainage hole at the bottom, but I am planning on transplanting it into a slightly bigger pot tomorrow, like you said above.

rawlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi mike

the current pot my bonsai seedling is in has got a drainage hole at the bottom, but I am planning on transplanting it into a slightly bigger pot tomorrow, like you said above.
Pierre,

Were you able to get it repotted yet? If not, definitely have a look at the Bonsai Tonight posts first for some ideas on soil, sand and stem cutting.

Mike

Pierre

Yamadori
Reaction score
Pierre,

Were you able to get it re potted yet? If not, definitely have a look at the Bonsai Tonight posts first for some ideas on soil, sand and stem cutting.

Mike

Hi Mike

I have looked at Bonsai Tonight and the info on there is very useful. No i haven't repotted my bonsai yet , but what i have done was, pinching the root system off, and dipping it in rooting gel, I hope it will make a new root quick. the reason why i did that was cause it looked like if the bonsai root was i think dying or something.

Pierre

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello there.

I have planted a couple of Jerusalem Pine seeds and they have germinated 2 days ago. They are strong and healthy. I have laid some slate chippings to keep the ground moist. My Jack Pine is doing ok, it still has no roots. Should i leave it and see if it will grow roots?

rawlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello there.

I have planted a couple of Jerusalem Pine seeds and they have germinated 2 days ago. They are strong and healthy. I have laid some slate chippings to keep the ground moist. My Jack Pine is doing ok, it still has no roots. Should i leave it and see if it will grow roots?

I’m definitely just a beginner here, so I’ll urge you to seek other more experienced opinions, but I’m pretty sure roots can still appear later than three weeks after stem cutting. I would stick with the seedling as long as it looks healthy. There are a bunch of case studies over on the threads for the Six Year Japanese Black Pine Contest thread that you can browse to see how long it took those guys to see rooting.

- Mike

Pierre

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi there

Update on Jerusalem Pine tree saplings.

In August I mentioned that I have planted a couple of Jerusalem Pine seeds, and that they have germinated. Initially I thought I would have 3 Strong and healthy saplings but a few days ago I saw that instead of 3 saplings I have got 4 now. I have repotted my 3 saplings into smaller pots and kept the new sapling in the original pot. The 3 saplings are doing good. I also got myself a small ficus ginseng bonsai tree.

Top Bottom