My bonsai trees are loosing their leaves

Adriana69

Seed
Reaction score
Good morning. I am so happy that I find you. I love bonsai ...I have two, I don't know what kind ( I had them as a gift and the label was removed). During the summer I kept them outside (I live in Malta ), they were full of leaves and the big one had even flowers, but as soon the rainy weather came they start loosing their leaves. I brought them inside, but still they were loosing their leaves. On the big one I discover something like bugs but covered in a white cocoon. I removed them all...now I saw that my bonsai have small growing leaves , but unfortunately they look like this. Do you think there is still hope ? Thank you very much for your help. I know it is hard but do you have any idea what species they are ?

Attachments

• Bonsai 1.jpg
    Bonsai 1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Bonsai 2.jpg
    Bonsai 2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 56

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
1 is a Fukien Tea. Very temperamental outside their natural zone, drops leaves easily and attracts insects. They should be kept above 45 degrees F, and outside when temps allow.

2. Is a Chinese Elm. They are semi-deciduous and hardy to USDA zone 5-6. This is normal, and this should be outside. It will begin to grow again in the spring if it is alive.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When people visit me at this time of year, they assume all my deciduous bonsai are dead because they don't have leaves :) It is a uniquely California thing, I think, because anyone living in any other part of the country understands the changing of the seasons :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When people visit me at this time of year, they assume all my deciduous bonsai are dead because they don't have leaves :) It is a uniquely California thing, I think, because anyone living in any other part of the country understands the changing of the seasons :)

Not a California thing. People all over who don't understand bonsai are flummoxed when they "Act like real trees." I post photos of bonsai in fall colors on my facebook feed. My friends are mesmerized by those. Most people assume bonsai are "special" kinds of plants and not just regular trees in pots.

Top Bottom