My Bougainvillae

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If they are opened by this weekend, I'll try to snap a pic or two.

Even if they aren't open share a updated pic anyway man cause I'd love to just see how much this has filled in with growth at least. I remember seeing the pics back in spring when you got them and was just amazed at the size of that trunk so would like to see what it looks like now for sure.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A nursery that's like...Goodwill! I love it! I may have to talk with my local guy...let him know what my fancy is...if he comes across any when redeveloping landscapes.
It is indeed. Actually, these, are the first bougie I saw in their lot and was told no one is buying them. Last I went there, they have 3 more but no main trunk (just clumps of similar sized shoots) so I passed them up. There may be a main trunk hidden under the soil though.

Working with landscapers and nurseries is a good idea, you just don't know what they might come up with.

Even if they aren't open share a updated pic anyway man cause I'd love to just see how much this has filled in with growth at least. I remember seeing the pics back in spring when you got them and was just amazed at the size of that trunk so would like to see what it looks like now for sure.
I will, just planning to wait for the flowers but if you insist...will do. ;)

Thanks guys.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Dang poink

You don't play around with smaller plants huh? I like the intensity

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
When I went to Texas last year for work, McCown I think the town name was, right on the border with Mexico, all I saw was huge bougies here and there and everywhere. We don't have the abundance or size bougies here. Not sure if it has to do with our wet winters or what. Awesome pieces you have though

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When I went to Texas last year for work, McCown I think the town name was, right on the border with Mexico, all I saw was huge bougies here and there and everywhere. We don't have the abundance or size bougies here. Not sure if it has to do with our wet winters or what. Awesome pieces you have though

It is the weather. Bougies like warm/hot weather and can hardly tolerate freezing temps. Down there, they thrive almost year round. Here, they can't thrive when planted in the ground because of cold spells...all it takes is a severe ONE to kill them.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You don't play around with smaller plants huh? I like the intensity

I have several small seedlings & cuttings but the bulk of my trees are bigger than average "newbie" plants. I am just lucky (and grateful) finding them (for cheap or even free). :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Now Dario...you big tease...I keep seeing you post and expect to see photos. I must say...I have an addiction/passion for bougainvilleas...I think they will always hold a special place to my heart. If I lived where they thrived...my entire yard would be filled of them.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dario - When you get tired of the bright orange one or find another please call me. I am having a horrible time finding bright orange at a reasonable price and when they are they are twigs. We are pretty certain one would do well in her tropical facilities and she soooooooooooooo badly wants an orange one. At a decent price I would take a chance for her happiness.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Grimmy...no doubt about it, if I can keep a Bougie through winter. Your wife should be able to. ;)

Yes I agree, would only depend on the plants condition and time of shipment really. Just hard to find an actual Orange one with at least a 2 inch base which I don't think is a lot to ask. Most vendors have semi- orange or the types that transition from pink. Weird thing is true Orange is not a special cultivar for any reason, just not popular.

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Now Dario...you big tease...I keep seeing you post and expect to see photos. I must say...I have an addiction/passion for bougainvilleas...I think they will always hold a special place to my heart. If I lived where they thrived...my entire yard would be filled of them.

Sorry, they are not easy to photograph right now that is why I am waiting for the weekend. They are in the corner of the yard and the drip irrigation (collar type perforated hose) makes it difficult to just move. I will post pics this weekend...I promise. :)

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Orange?

I'm sure the nursery just a block down the road has some orange bougainvillea, somewhere in San Antonio there is a nursery that specializes in them but I've never been. Anyway, next time i see one ill get a picture if you want it I'll get it to you.

The only ones i like are the dwarfs... I had torch glow last year but didn't protect it and it croaked.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry, they are not easy to photograph right now that is why I am waiting for the weekend. They are in the corner of the yard and the drip irrigation (collar type perforated hose) makes it difficult to just move. I will post pics this weekend...I promise. :)

Good enough...I didn't realize they were difficult to get a photo of...in their current location. I can wait...just knowing I have something to look at come this weekend. Will get me through. ;)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dario - When you get tired of the bright orange one or find another please call me. I am having a horrible time finding bright orange at a reasonable price and when they are they are twigs. We are pretty certain one would do well in her tropical facilities and she soooooooooooooo badly wants an orange one. At a decent price I would take a chance for her happiness.

Grimmy

If you want/need it that bad, I can part with the smaller orange plant. Be warned, the bracts start as orange, turned peach, etc., but are pink now. Also note that the first branch where the tie wire is on at the first pic is dead.

If you are interested...PM me your price (keep it low wink-wink) plus actual shipping. You can also wait until I post the pics this weekend.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm sure the nursery just a block down the road has some orange bougainvillea, somewhere in San Antonio there is a nursery that specializes in them but I've never been. Anyway, next time i see one ill get a picture if you want it I'll get it to you.

The only ones i like are the dwarfs... I had torch glow last year but didn't protect it and it croaked.

The offer is greatly appreciated. As I said even a 2 inch base would be sufficient if indeed Orange. Her expertise is in Tropical and Southern trees even though she lives up here now. Myself I do not fool with them at all. If I cannot Winter it in an unheated shed or outdoors it lives elsewhere :p

Grimmy

Reaction score
If you want/need it that bad, I can part with the smaller orange plant. Be warned, the bracts start as orange, turned peach, etc., but are pink now. Also note that the first branch where the tie wire is on at the first pic is dead.

If you are interested...PM me your price (keep it low wink-wink) plus actual shipping. You can also wait until I post the pics this weekend.

Yours is called a Rosenka. They change from orange and red to peach color.
There is an just an orange variety that is called Sundown Orange.
That just stays orange.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20 - 25 degrees sounds awfully optimistic for any bougy. The large wood may be ok, especially in the ground, but I'd protect it if there's a chance of a freeze(or even frost).

Andy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
20 - 25 degrees sounds awfully optimistic for any bougy. The large wood may be ok, especially in the ground, but I'd protect it if there's a chance of a freeze(or even frost).

Andy

Thanks Andy. Yes my plan is to bring them in at around 35*F still as with my ficus and fukien tea. The real tropicals will be in full time one we start hitting 50*F

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here are a few pics taken today...I decided to just take it where they are so sorry for the busy background. I have some things lined up for tomorrow and will be busy.

Attachments

• P1180066.jpg
    P1180066.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 28
  • P1180068.jpg
    P1180068.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 25
  • P1180070.jpg
    P1180070.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 25
  • P1180072.jpg
    P1180072.jpg