My brand new very old carving tools

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there,
My great-grand-father, and his father, were wood sculptors.
Not like freaking Rodin or such, their art was to decorate furniture, like this:

00039b BUR-1024x839.jpg

This is not one of their work, I found it on the web, but that the spirit.

At the passing of his grand-father my father, also very good in wood-crafting which was his main hobby, inherited his tools.
At the passing of my parents - more than 17 years ago - my siblings and I couldn't keep their house nor a bunch of their stuff, including my great-grand-father tools.
We sold the house and stuff but didn't want to sell the tools so we asked to a friend and former colleague of my father, very good in wood-crafting also, if he would keep them as we knew he will take care of them.
He accepted but wanted to add that it was just a deposit, if anyone of us wanted them back in the future he will give them back.

Time passed.
I f... around a lot and forgot about the tools.
Then I started to paint, in 2005 and few times after started to think it would be cool to sculpt, the though of my great-grand-father tools came back a little but I was still very unstable, geographically, and I wouldn't have any place to store or use them.

Time passed again and my wife and I finally settled in Chicago suburbs. I started to try to do bonsai. The living and dead trunks start pilling up and the though of my great-grand-father tools become a carving for them.

Last week my wife and I were in France and took advantage of this trip to bring back the tools, less the ones the friend of my father, who is still alive and working with them, uses regularly.

And here they are together with the mallet (in boxwood) of my great-grand-father:

DSC03939.JPG

I sorted them by shape of the blade:

- valley in V (just 5 of those):
DSC03950.JPG

- Valley in U (26):
DSC03953.JPG

- strait (13):
DSC03946.JPG

- and the last group comprise some with a S shape, of duck's neck curve (21):

DSC03944.JPG

So that's it.
Those are my new more than 100 years old carving tools, 65 of them.
Back in the family ;)

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
A lot of new tools you buy at most hardware tools are crap. The quality is mediocre and the steel is cheap. A lot of older tools and knives use simple carbon steels that have a fine grain and are easy to sharpen. They work well and will last a long time with proper maintenance. Looks like a nice set and its pretty neat that it has been passed through your family.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a few of my grandfather and great grandfathers old hand tools that I've been meaning to clean up and sharpen so I can use them. Nothing as cool as these, though.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Being able to touch your history and to share the story is great. Thank You

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi there,
My great-grand-father, and his father, were wood sculptors.
Not like freaking Rodin or such, their art was to decorate furniture, like this:

View attachment 96098

This is not one of their work, I found it on the web, but that the spirit.

At the passing of his grand-father my father, also very good in wood-crafting which was his main hobby, inherited his tools.
At the passing of my parents - more than 17 years ago - my siblings and I couldn't keep their house nor a bunch of their stuff, including my great-grand-father tools.
We sold the house and stuff but didn't want to sell the tools so we asked to a friend and former colleague of my father, very good in wood-crafting also, if he would keep them as we knew he will take care of them.
He accepted but wanted to add that it was just a deposit, if anyone of us wanted them back in the future he will give them back.

Time passed.
I f... around a lot and forgot about the tools.
Then I started to paint, in 2005 and few times after started to think it would be cool to sculpt, the though of my great-grand-father tools came back a little but I was still very unstable, geographically, and I wouldn't have any place to store or use them.

Time passed again and my wife and I finally settled in Chicago suburbs. I started to try to do bonsai. The living and dead trunks start pilling up and the though of my great-grand-father tools become a carving for them.

Last week my wife and I were in France and took advantage of this trip to bring back the tools, less the ones the friend of my father, who is still alive and working with them, uses regularly.

And here they are together with the mallet (in boxwood) of my great-grand-father:

View attachment 96099

I sorted them by shape of the blade:

- valley in V (just 5 of those):
View attachment 96101

- Valley in U (26):
View attachment 96102

- strait (13):
View attachment 96103

- and the last group comprise some with a S shape, of duck's neck curve (21):

View attachment 96104

So that's it.
Those are my new more than 100 years old carving tools, 65 of them.
Back in the family ;)
I also have these same tools and only use them on my trees, I really like them a lot. I think you will as well.
I don't know how old they are, but I have had them for 20 plus years.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's a great story and very close to my heart. It reminds me very much of a similar story I posted a while back http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/the-saw.14092/page-2.

Thanks!
I just read the story of your saw and I like it a lot! :)
The big difference being that I never knew my great-grand-father.
He knew me as there is a picture of him and his wife holding me when I was a baby but he passed away before I could remember him (I remember my great-grand-mother though, as she passed away when I was 5. Strong people they were! :D essentially when you think that my great-grand-father was a WWI vet who was gazed in the trenches and smoked for the rest of his life ;) )

But I don't have memories of him and his tools like you and your grand-father.

Top Bottom