M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I knew they were smart but I didn't know they were smart enough to mobilize their territory
They pee on car tires all the time.
I can see Rupert trying to hop on 3 legs trying to mark a moving tumbleweed.
He got to go face to face with a bobcat at 4:00 this morning.
My sister watched him go after it in her front yard.
Thank God he didnt catch it!
My sister was happy though.
Her one dog weighs about 4 pounds.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What did you do "wrong"?

I'm kinda skeptical of that train of thought (broadly), especially with your degree of attention.

Kinda like the axiom that the shaking cur in the shelter "must have been abused". More likely, it was pain in the ass fearful dog from birth who nipped kids and freaked out from plain old shit genes. Meanwhile you have these hard headed high energy dogs who probably WERE abused (by weak dog standards) because of their energy and drive and yet they are still generally friendly and confident (if not a handful for an average dog owner).

Ive said it before...there isn't 18 years of brain growth in these things. They are born, grow fast, and act out their instincts and die in 10 years.

I really doubt you had any negative influence on his temperment.

Malinois were not bred on the basis of compatibility with dog parks. So...who gives a damn about dog buddies. Just manage his environment.
Thanks @A. Gorilla Yes, he was a very fearful dog. Fearful of environmentals since pup. So much better now, and still improving. I'd definitely look for a more fearless dog in the far future. Basically now, I'd like to keep training my dog so that I can walk him or have him in the car with me without getting reactive towards neutral dogs passing by.

I've been working on playing the "possession game" method of Ivan Balabanov hopefully getting his play drive to increase so much that playing would be a good way to get him through stresses.

Phew! I dunno if I'd get a malinois again. Maybe a working class working line pitbull 🤣 This guy has no off button.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Phew! I dunno if I'd get a malinois again. Maybe a working class working line pitbull 🤣 This guy has no off button.
Maybe a nice calm German Shepherd.🤣
I almost went for a rottweiler before I got mine.
Big lovey guys but have some health problems.
I went with what I know.
You now know about Belgian Malinois.
To be sure one of the smartest.
You're learning how to think like a Malinois.
This is your first one.
He's still a work in progress.
Kind of like a bonsai.

I have a story.
I take Rupert out daily in the same spot along the river for his walks.
We meet other people occasionally.
Some walking dogs.
I've never really had too many problems.
One guy had 2 dachshunds off leash once and freaked because he's petrified of German Shepherds. Rupert was leashed. He told me he would kill him if my dog hurt one of his. They played.
But just a couple months ago a guy known as Nutty Buddy came down the trail.
There must be something wrong with him too.
Rupert hated him.
To the point that he would have attacked him.
I'm not small by any means nor very weak.
My dog actually pulled me off of my feet in an effort to get at Buddy.
If it weren't for the leash and me tackling Rupert on my way to the ground it would have been bad.
It got me to thinking my dog had went nuts finally and hated everyone.
But no.
It's just this one person.
These dogs know what's in a person's heart and I believe they can actually read minds.
I've had him around strangers since just to see and he's fine.
My grandmother once told me when I got my first was if your dog doesn't trust someone it's probably wise for you not to trust that person. There's a reason. And something to remember.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maybe a nice calm German Shepherd.🤣
I almost went for a rottweiler before I got mine.
Big lovey guys but have some health problems.
I went with what I know.
You now know about Belgian Malinois.
To be sure one of the smartest.
You're learning how to think like a Malinois.
This is your first one.
He's still a work in progress.
Kind of like a bonsai.

I have a story.
I take Rupert out daily in the same spot along the river for his walks.
We meet other people occasionally.
Some walking dogs.
I've never really had too many problems.
One guy had 2 dachshunds off leash once and freaked because he's petrified of German Shepherds. Rupert was leashed. He told me he would kill him if my dog hurt one of his. They played.
But just a couple months ago a guy known as Nutty Buddy came down the trail.
There must be something wrong with him too.
Rupert hated him.
To the point that he would have attacked him.
I'm not small by any means nor very weak.
My dog actually pulled me off of my feet in an effort to get at Buddy.
If it weren't for the leash and me tackling Rupert on my way to the ground it would have been bad.
It got me to thinking my dog had went nuts finally and hated everyone.
But no.
It's just this one person.
These dogs know what's in a person's heart and I believe they can actually read minds.
I've had him around strangers since just to see and he's fine.
My grandmother once told me when I got my first was if your dog doesn't trust someone it's probably wise for you not to trust that person. There's a reason. And something to remember.
My boy, will get reactive with people who are scared of dogs because they tend to stare or freeze up in a standing position that looks like they're challenging him. 😅 Otherwise he's super sweet to strangers. Once however, I think he wanted to test a guy, a neighbor by being tough. He acted ok, but then jumped up and pushed the man 😄. Made me a little nervous. I make sure strangers who are my friends stand sideways or get down so he'd accept them better. It's not something we practice regularly because I've never wanted him to go up to everyone.

I've had big GSD on my mind as a future prospect. There are a few at the PSA club I visit that are so sweet, but excellent workers. I like their big bear heads and goofy face. Quickly look scary to a stranger 🤣. I cant remember the last time I've been scared of a dog; not good because bites can be so damaging 😅.

Top Bottom