GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
@amiller I want to thank you for your training tips. I also have a large hyper puppy and using your tips for impulse control when feeding has really helped.
Tonka used to knock his dish right out of my hands, now he sits and waits until I release.

Now if I can only get him over being afraid of everything

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@amiller I want to thank you for your training tips. I also have a large hyper puppy and using your tips for impulse control when feeding has really helped.
Tonka used to knock his dish right out of my hands, now he sits and waits until I release.

Now if I can only get him over being afraid of everything
My boy is better at not being afraid of everything, but still certain things scare him. I hope it goes away. Got to figure out how to build his confidence more and distract him. I hope the way to go is to use his prey drive. He is afraid of so me parked vehicles running or not. He's afraid of the city bus as it picks up people or drops them off. All this happens on our walks.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
He's a puppy dude.
And there isn't a thing you can do about it now.
The only thing you can do is watch for replicating the circumstances and try to avert it.
During training, I e stepped on him accidentally and he's gotten better about not biting me. ??

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I'm really glad I'm in a small town and don't have to deal with busses. The idiots in jacked up pickups are bad enough, I don't think Tonka could handle a bus though he was ok with the utility truck and tree remover crews.

How is Robert with strangers? Tonka really want to interact with people but only if they are ignoring him. As soon as someone tries to touch him , he jerks away and hides behind me. Kids really freak him out but so does anything moving fast like leaves or tarps blowing in the wind.

He is nervous enough that there has been some fear biting with other dogs, especially ones bigger than him. He is ok with smaller dogs. At least he was until the neighbor had their chiweenie outside off leash and he ran over and attacked my feet while we were on a walk. Tonka got very upset and wanted to take a chunk out of the little bastard. This is the same dog that bites me everytime he close close enough to do so. I don't understand people who let their small, badly behaved dogs off leash like that.

Thats a great picture in the flowers. Let your wife take more, some day you will cherish those memories and be glad of the pics. I have very few pictures of my past dogs, thats something I regret.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm really glad I'm in a small town and don't have to deal with busses. The idiots in jacked up pickups are bad enough, I don't think Tonka could handle a bus though he was ok with the utility truck and tree remover crews.

How is Robert with strangers? Tonka really want to interact with people but only if they are ignoring him. As soon as someone tries to touch him , he jerks away and hides behind me. Kids really freak him out but so does anything moving fast like leaves or tarps blowing in the wind.

He is nervous enough that there has been some fear biting with other dogs, especially ones bigger than him. He is ok with smaller dogs. At least he was until the neighbor had their chiweenie outside off leash and he ran over and attacked my feet while we were on a walk. Tonka got very upset and wanted to take a chunk out of the little bastard. This is the same dog that bites me everytime he close close enough to do so. I don't understand people who let their small, badly behaved dogs off leash like that.

Thats a great picture in the flowers. Let your wife take more, some day you will cherish those memories and be glad of the pics. I have very few pictures of my past dogs, thats something I regret.
He is good with strangers with some exceptions. Normally might want to leap at them and play or let people pet him. I have to keep him from jumping on people. I've let some people pet him and limit them to simple petting. No hugging or anything to get him excited about. Because he'll get jumpy or play bite. Now at his 6 mos, he wants more activity or seems to crave tugging.i stopped a while because he was teething. I'd stay away from that neighborhood dog, it could cause aggression in you dog if it bites Tonka.

It seems Robert's fear is improving slowly. I keep helping in along with my leadership and exposing him to sounds and things further in distance or with distractions. He climbed down my delivery truck with engine on today. He had to go potty, so maybe that helped motivate him.

I have to be proactive with him. At this stage he's testing boundaries. I think he's taking his sweet time with potty breaks lately, so I have to act to show him no play during potty. It sucks on rainy days and he wants to play and sniff around instead of potty.

Still so much more for him to see and hear and learn not to be scared of or bark at. Took him to park, from a distance he was ok. Up close about 15 ft from batter and he'd bark.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Super motivating after seeing dogs train at a club. I'm sort of shy to ask them out there as I'm not a member, but a client of one of the members. How did you keep your dog so focused at your side and on the target, @A. Gorilla ? My malinois was barking and all. My Boston terrier too, but the member's mal continued to ignore us and accomplish what it was practicing for and its handler's commands. A guy I train with says he gets his dog hooked on him through ball drive. It seems some just are that way with their handlers.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ivan balabanov videos, primarily. And help from those who follow that train of thought.

You need a foundation of classically conditioned focus.

Training anxious working dogs is like pounding and tempering steel.

You need to be ground zero of interest, and that doesn’t just magically happen. It’s a process.

Ivan and Bernhard Flinks really cut to the fundamental basis of training. Drive drive drive focus focus focus.

You don’t “correct” those things into a dog. You inflate him by keeping sessions of tug work short sweet and manic.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
His barking is fine. He’s excited and frustrated. Perfect. In fact, some communities tie out pups to watch adults and let them go nuts and want to engage with it all. No early attempts at punishment or control at all.

You exploit frustration.

If you can’t get a dog excited, there is no appetite to satisfy. He will be “meh” about reward.

Calm dogs suck for training. Really.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Haven't posted in a while. The boy is past 8 months old now and 44 lbs. Hes small for the breed.

The thing we're still working on is increasing his threshold to certain things. I'm not sure if he'll sort some things out on his own as I cannot foresee everything he freaks out about. I've been focusing more on public buses with their hissing compressed air sounds.

Here's him climbing a ladder. I find challenging things to help build his confidence and trust in me.

http://instagr.am/p/BkGg722nnGu/

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's him climbing a ladder.
That's badass!
I think you're doing wonderfully.
Rupert is on the small side for his breed also.
Just 78 pounds.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.
Rupert dont climb ladders. How do you get them started. He would but I dont know how to show him.
He jumps in and out of the window of my truck though.
If you can smell what I'm cooking.
I was just thinking about you yesterday when I was out with Rupert.
In my mind you guys were in all out dog training and didn't have time to post here.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's badass!
I think you're doing wonderfully.
Rupert is on the small side for his breed also.
Just 78 pounds.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.
Rupert dont climb ladders. How do you get them started. He would but I dont know how to show him.
He jumps in and out of the window of my truck though.
If you can smell what I'm cooking.
I was just thinking about you yesterday when I was out with Rupert.
In my mind you guys were in all out dog training and didn't have time to post here.

He naturally climbs stuff like pallets of goods, stacks of bags of bark, he like to jump up tables. I challenged him to climb pallets. We start small, but moved to big quickly. I leaned a pallet against some stacked pallets, and that was a bit difficult for him. Mainly it was fear, but he overcame it. I had to keep him from running away, gently guiding, a little tugging, no fighting with him.

One day I tried a ladder and he went up it like hes done it before. I dont try him going down even though I think hes capable when using a shorter ladder. I always use a leash to direct and for safety.
http://instagr.am/p/BjqkNxehdtT/

Top Bottom