My Cascade Juniper

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I thought the branch inside of the jin would be the upper apex 1st time around.
Now maybe a lower right branch to offset the cascade, if the spindly one now the upper apex here, recovers from your pinching.

The foliage on the cascade appears to be "shredded" but could be my magnification.
Did you pinch this during Winter?

Charles KiWi 8 9 20 a.jpg

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I thought the branch inside of the jin would be the upper apex 1st time around.
Now maybe a lower right branch to offset the cascade, if the spindly one now the upper apex here, recovers from your pinching.

The foliage on the cascade appears to be "shredded" but could be my magnification.
Did you pinch this during Winter?

View attachment 205107

Hi Japonicus,
Whew I wasn’t expecting that fantastic response !! ?. Thank you.

Firstly, yes you are correct, I pinched this 6-8 weeks ago (start of winter), dumb newbie move. Maybe should’ve tried experiment in the Summer. I guess I have learned the “impatient” hard way that repotting and wiring shouldn’t be done at the same time.

As I am writing this I am disgesting your design. I have 3-4 of these about this size and age. Best material I can find etc. I have about 1520 as 6 month cuttings so they are a few years away lol.
So this Juniper has only just been repotted etc, I can easily take the wire away, repot it to the new angle. Eg. No new roots to break.
And start the new design as per your drawing.
BUT, I think I should leave all growth on this for at least the next year to grow bushy (runners??) ?? Then be more selective re branching, design, and be better at wiring.
Am I understanding you and what I have written makes sense?
Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's winter/early spring in NZ now, Alexandra, the juniper should be fine I think.
@KiwiPlantGuy, your tree is probably in the first two branches, if not just the first one. If you try bending the first branch up instead of down you'll create a new trunkline that is pliable enough to bring some curving into it. The tree seems rather small and young, so there's probably a lot of possibilities still.

You are in the southern parts of the Northern Island, right? Do you know Samuel Brierley? Sam's a absolutely top guy and also owner at Eudai Bonsai in Whakatane, Bay of Plenty. He organised the Lake Taupo bonsai weekend the other day. If you have the chance, go work together with him (and others) sometimes. There's guys closer to your area, but I forgot their names, sorry.

Hi Maarten,
I don’t know Samuel Brierly, but did a google search and found him etc.
I am planning to move to Tauranga after my daughter leaves school, say 3-4 years etc. I do actually live a bit more south, 20 mins out of Christchurch, but hey I am pleased you have a NZ connection ??.
I am going to give the cascade another go via @Japonicus ideas, but hey that might not work either.
I love growing everything, and maybe a little thin on experience for all conifers and deciduous. I want to be a big “Grasshopper” only after 2 years. Time doing trees will help, and the enjoyment of growing.
Oops, philosophical me.
Charles

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Japonicus,
Whew I wasn’t expecting that fantastic response !! ?. Thank you.

Firstly, yes you are correct, I pinched this 6-8 weeks ago (start of winter), dumb newbie move. Maybe should’ve tried experiment in the Summer. I guess I have learned the “impatient” hard way that repotting and wiring shouldn’t be done at the same time.

As I am writing this I am disgesting your design. I have 3-4 of these about this size and age. Best material I can find etc. I have about 1520 as 6 month cuttings so they are a few years away lol.
So this Juniper has only just been repotted etc, I can easily take the wire away, repot it to the new angle. Eg. No new roots to break.
And start the new design as per your drawing.
BUT, I think I should leave all growth on this for at least the next year to grow bushy (runners??) ?? Then be more selective re branching, design, and be better at wiring.
Am I understanding you and what I have written makes sense?
Charles
Good evening Charles.
I see no harm in wiring and potting at the same time.
Remember to always allow the soil to nearly dry out prior to wiring, as with watering, that's when you wire.
Think of it this way...how much easier is it to bend a garden hose with no water pressure?

Any foliar work in the dormant stage of, or near Winter...that's a problem.
Being how the foliage is torn, I would suggest a dose of systemic bactericide/fungicide monthly.
Also this would be a good time for a horticultural dormant oil to protect against mites/insects.
The oil will discolour the foliage for a good time, but well worth no foliage of any colour.
When this occurs (the torn look) you've pinched where trimming is the correct approach.
Yes Summer is the time to pinch/thin/snip areas to open up for breath and light.

Eh, I wouldn't repot it till next time. The roots will need to be leveled more close to the new angle as possible
when you tilt it, so that requires more root work. Let it rest and then grow.

Like I said, that jin doesn't have to happen next growing season, so your foliage will gather strength
from the current upper portion, jin to be. I would want crazy runners on the lower portion and especially, most especially
the new upper apex to be that is so weak right now, that it will take 3 good growing seasons to have any stout, brown wood.
Feed that baby, control the upper growth or it will get stronger there, and the weak will become weaker.
Zone 9a? You're at the top of the zone for this plant. Is it commonly sold there?
1520 cuttings? Oh boy, look out! We have a bonsai nut in NZ!!! :)

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Since it's Winter there, I would get some fungicide into the gaping wound on the front of the trunk too.
If nothing else, lime sulphur at minimum. Then follow through with some cut paste. This should be done already.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Since it's Winter there, I would get some fungicide into the gaping wound on the front of the trunk too.
If nothing else, lime sulphur at minimum. Then follow through with some cut paste. This should be done already.

Hi Japonicus,
Thank you again for your advice.
Lol, 15-20 cuttings,so yeah. I do have a few hundred trees of all species, does that make me a nutter, me thinks so ?
Lots for me to think about, and probably repost this next winter, to then relook at design.
Go the runners !!!
Charles

Top Bottom