my Chaenomeles are blooming

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I had a great late Christmas and New Years surprise. All three of my Quince are flowering. We had an unexpected day or two of rain so all of the opened blossoms were pretty much destroyed in the storms but there are buds all over so I should be able to get some shots soon.

Nothing spectacular yet - just 3 varieties I got a month ago from Evergreen Gardenworks (thanks Brent!). I got a 'Toyo Nishiki' a 'Not Minerva' and a 'Chojubai White'. I was looking for something to divert my attention form all of the pines for a while and the Quince seemed to fit the bill. I don't think I have seen any in Florida so I thought I should give it a go.

OK all you Quince growers - time to spill the beans. How do you do what you do? Feeding info, pruning info etc. I have a few articles from older Bonsai Today issues to keep me going but I would love to discuss something new, hoping to learn as I go.

I'll post photos as soon as some new blooms open. You have got to see the 'Chojubai White' as the flowers are so small and border on being almost yellowish.

Thanks!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Chaenomeles 'Not Minerva'

Mine are just starting to bloom now! I bought these a few months ago from Brent at http://evergreengardenworks.com. I thought I would send along a little spring color for you all! Hope you like it.

BTW: I am with Graydon, feel free to post Quince tips and techniques. I need them all.

Attachments

• Chaenomeles-'Not-Minerva'_f.jpg
    Chaenomeles-'Not-Minerva'_f.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the bump.

I have no tips. I feel I have been lucky to keep mine alive. Out of the three I too got from Brent only one is is leaf now and it is 'chojubia white'. I repotted it this winter and removed 2 suckers that had rooted - so I now have three of them. While repotting I uncovered an even nicer trunk han I thought I had when it arrived.

I'm swamped with work but I'll try to shot some photos over the weekend ad post.

robert1955

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Quince have bloomed and now leafing out. They grow fast here in SoCal. I have 2 now, I've had them 3 years now. I have a problem with aphids but other than that I like them. Nice to know others are grow these too.

Bob

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
GGGRRR Red Spiders

Well the romance of the spring blooms is gone. :-( What comes in its place? Red Spider Mites... Yes now it is over 80 most days and drying out nicely, the nasty little beasties have made an appearance. I am following Brent's advice from his page and hitting the undersides with a hard spray of water. So far so good.

Any experts out there on mites and Quince pipe up!

Top Bottom