My chamaecyparis obtusa "nana gracilis".

Hans van Meer

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
yesterday I finished the final styling of my "Hinoki cypres" Chamacyparis obtusa 'Nana Grasciles' 95 cm/38 inch.
About 12 years ago, I was very lucky to buy 4 or 5 of this old old "Hinoki's" directly from a professional grower in "Boskoop" (Holland). He had planted them together with his father some 50 years ago, when he was still a young boy. He seamed to like the idea of having them restyled into Bonsai! All these long years, the small scrubs were used as "Mother plants", every year all the strong growth was cut off to be used for grafting or as cuttings. So the trees had remained small for all those years and most of the foliage grew close to the trunk. But this was not the case with this tree, it was tall, straight and all the foliage was located in the top part of the tree. So I only had some branches in the top that I had to bend down and let grow for many years. So I had to style the tree in a way, that made those hanging branches believable. This "Hinoki" would be a fantasy tree (they don't exist as large trees) and styled as a Old Pine/Larch/Picea solitaire, that lost it's top section some were in the past and all of it's bottom growth, and all of the branches were forced down by the weight of the winter snow. I have seen examples of those old soldiers on many a high mountain side in the Alps. So, to give the trunk more interest, I made a Shari over the full length of the trunk. And then waited for all these years, until now, for the foliage to grow and the branches to thicken, in the mean wile the Shari aged very nicely and the bark grew beautifully over the deadwood in some places, making it all look aged and mature. I really love the foliage of these "Hinoki's", you can create wonderful foliage pads, with out it becoming to overly styled, it looks really natural, like a tree in the distance. I think this fantasy tree gives of a good impresion of a aged mountain dweller now and I decided to enter it into the "Noellanders Trophy" next January! Although this species is not so commonly used in Bonsai any more, I do believe they are wonderful material for good bonsai! Even this, not so good starting material, turned out into a believable old looking tree. This tree has become a good representative of what I seek for in my designs and styling, I hope you like it to? :D
I found this wooden slab to place it on in the show, do you think it goes well with this tree?
Regards,
Hans van meer.

Attachments

• December 2008 115 hans van meer web.jpg
    December 2008 115 hans van meer web.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I love them, but they die here in the ground or in a pot. Your's is beautiful, good work.

Harry

Top Bottom