My cillecting trip

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone

I went last weekend with dad to a really cool spot to help him dig some yews. I wanted to show some pictures of that day and this neat area. I think next time he needs to bring another aduklt. the last picture I shows why. My first picture shows how beautiful this area is. the next one is one of the path up the mountain that was a long hike. The third one is a picture of root over rock, Ithink its more like root over boulder:p. The last two are Dad hard at work digging up the trees.

Attachments

• jsw_imgp1457.jpg
    jsw_imgp1457.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 65
  • jsw_imgp1458.jpg
    jsw_imgp1458.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 58
  • jsw_imgp1451.jpg
    jsw_imgp1451.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 80
  • jsw_imgp1480.jpg
    jsw_imgp1480.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 102
  • jsw_imgp1482.jpg
    jsw_imgp1482.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 121

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I went last weekend with dad to a really cool spot to help him dig some yews. I wanted to show some pictures of that day and this neat area. I think next time he needs to bring another aduklt. the last picture I shows why. My first picture shows how beautiful this area is. the next one is one of the path up the mountain that was a long hike. The third one is a picture of root over rock, Ithink its more like root over boulder:p. The last two are Dad hard at work digging up the trees.

LOL I agree Taylor!
That is a boulder!
Very beautiful country you have there Taylor....
Perhaps one day I can come up to visit and you can show me your favorite place.
I love the woods!
Irene

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Those are great pictures, Taylor. It looks like you had a nice time out there, but I'm not so sure about your dad. I'm impressed, though, because I don't think I would look as good as your dad did in that last picture if I had just dug up those trees all by myself. Take care,

Dave

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your collecting trip with us. I would of loved to have been there and give your dad a hand. I bet he had a hard time getting up the next morning ;)

A Friend in bonsai
John

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Taylor,

Looks like you had a good time watching your dad get all dirty collecting trees.... did you make him collect you one? We are going to have a girl at the end of Jan. 2008 and I hope I can take her along on collecting trips when she is old enough.... that would be cool!!

So, do you point out the good trees for your dad to dig? :)

Thanks for sharing, Jason

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Mr. Dav It was a fun day. You think Dad looks good :eek:

Hi Mr. John Your right he did:p He walked funny for two days . Then scratched from the poison ivy for another 4 days:p

Hi Mr. Jason Its always fun to go dig trees in the dirt with Dad. He didn't dig one for me. I dug it my self. It was easy because the roots were sitting on top of a huge rock. He did have to carry it down the hill:) I do point to trees that I think are good. sometimes he will dig them sometimes he won't. I think he doesn't dig them when hes already dug others. It is so cool that you are having a girl. GIRLS RULE!!!!! I bet she goes collecting with you. I would, you have really nice trees out there.

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mr Jason , this is the tree I collected. I think its pretty good. The nebari is really nice even though Dad didn't get it in the picture. I like carving and this has a lot of deadwood. I think I can make a really nice bonsai out of this.

Attachments

• jsw_p1060475.jpg
    jsw_p1060475.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 33
  • jsw_p1060476.jpg
    jsw_p1060476.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 18
  • jsw_p1060477.jpg
    jsw_p1060477.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 21
  • jsw_p1060478.jpg
    jsw_p1060478.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 23
  • jsw_p1060479.jpg
    jsw_p1060479.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 17

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Mr Jason , this is the tree I collected. I think its pretty good. The nebari is really nice even though Dad didn't get it in the picture. I like carving and this has a lot of deadwood. I think I can make a really nice bonsai out of this.

Nice tree Taylor!
Irene

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score

Wow Taylor, that is a pretty good tree! And good for you collecting it all on your own.

Nice tree, I look forward to seeing what you do with it.... it should be a good one based on what you did with your little juniper :)

Thanks for sharing with all of us!

Jason

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Taylor, I have been watching your posts and it seems as if you are developing quite an eye! Congratulations on your tree, I know you will do great things with it!

Oh, and thanks for posting!

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Taylor,
That is a VERY NICE yew! Better than most would have selected I think:D
As someone who has collected MANYYYY yews over the years I can tell you they respond great and are very hardy. It should do good for you.
I'm glad you and dad are collecting yews as they don't seem to get the attention in the USA that they should.
Some of the best yew bonsai I have EVER seen was in Seoul, Korea in 1997. I thought them even better than the many great ones I saw in Japan!!
Here is a picture of one that graced the opening doors of the '97 World Bonsai Convention there.
Something for you to aim for!;)
This should pretty much "Take care of" your Dad's back!:D
Regards,
Dale

Attachments

• Yew&Inna.jpg
    Yew&Inna.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 37

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mr Jason I will take a picture of it in the spring as the buds come out. My plan is to work the deadwood over winter. It gets so boring here then. I will also pull down the branches to get them to set in the area I want them.

Thank you Mr. Chris I'll do my best

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mr Dale I think these trees are cool to. I am glad to know someone else uses them for bonsai here in America besides Dad. I don't understand why people don't use them here. I think they are good trees and train really easy. That yew in the picture is HUGE. It would take me most of my life to train and carve that one. Thanks for your looking at my tree.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

I am beginning to think you might be able to make a decent bonsai out of stink weed. You have an eye kid---don't shoot it out.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You know what I mean by an eye don't you Taylor? An eye is a gift. Some people are skilled and can become very good artists if they are trained. Some people have talent, an eye for the subject, they too need training. But if they keep training and exercising their abilities and reaching for things that are not always easy, they can become great artists.

It is here that you are going to have to be careful. Talent makes some things come to you more easily than they do to those who do not share your talent. But talent has a price, it will drive you to a point where maybe things don't come easy to you like they did before. When that happens, and it will, the temptation will be there to go no further and you will stop growing. At that point it is your decision to go into places where you discover you have to work hard to gain new ground, the things you want to learn, or the things you should learn may only be given to you after you work hard for them. You are already learning that lesson with the tree you want.

I hope I haven't thrown too much information at you, and you may not understand it all now, but I would be very honored if you would keep it because one day you will understand.

Top Bottom