My Club is Doing a BYOT Workshop

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This weekend my local bonsai club is doing a BYOT workshop. My question is, what trees would benefit from being worked on this time of year? In my mind this is one of the worst times of the year to work on trees. You guys are welcome to correct me if I’m wrong. I’m just not sure what trees would benefit from a pruning/styling this late into fall.

Any thoughts?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wait to hear from someone in your locale but I imagine in zone 8 there is still much you can do.
Better yet, ask a couple of other members what they think.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wait to hear from someone in your locale but I imagine in zone 8 there is still much you can do.
Better yet, ask a couple of other members what they think.
I’ll reach out and see what they recommend. Our seasons are weird. We don’t really have a fall to winter progression. It was in the highs of 70s/80s about 2 weeks ago and now temps are in the highs of low 50s/upper 40s with lows in the 30s. Then next week, we have another swing of warmer weather for a couple weeks getting back into the 60s. I’m guessing after that we will finally hit our ‘cold’ time of the year.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This weekend my local bonsai club is doing a BYOT workshop. My question is, what trees would benefit from being worked on this time of year? In my mind this is one of the worst times of the year to work on trees. You guys are welcome to correct me if I’m wrong. I’m just not sure what trees would benefit from a pruning/styling this late into fall.

Any thoughts?
In Houston, here were the things that kept me busy in November.

1) Needle pulling black pine. You can wire and prune this time of year as well.
2) Fall cleanup of juniper foliage. You can wire and prune this time of year as well.
3) Cutback of deciduous trees.
4) Removing wire from deciduous and broadleaf trees
5) Preparing deciduous trees for grafting in spring.
6) Working on juniper deadwood (define live veins, carving, removing moss, cleanup and preservation of deadwood, checking for boring insects)

I’d imagine that all of that may be done in Fort Worth also. Please tell everyone there I said hi!

Scott Barboza

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Zone 8a is similar to here. I'll work on most trees year round if they don't need winter protection. Pines, junipers and other conifers can be pruned or wired and bent. Fall just before or after leaf drop is a great time to cut back deciduous. That's when I do most pruning on maples.
I probably would not be repotting but most styling work should be OK. Obviously the experienced local club members believe it is a good time and you'd have to assume they have some knowledge so let the experienced locals guide you.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In Houston, here were the things that kept me busy in November.

1) Needle pulling black pine. You can wire and prune this time of year as well.
2) Fall cleanup of juniper foliage. You can wire and prune this time of year as well.
3) Cutback of deciduous trees.
4) Removing wire from deciduous and broadleaf trees
5) Preparing deciduous trees for grafting in spring.
6) Working on juniper deadwood (define live veins, carving, removing moss, cleanup and preservation of deadwood, checking for boring insects)

I’d imagine that all of that may be done in Fort Worth also. Please tell everyone there I said hi!

Scott Barboza
Zone 8a is similar to here. I'll work on most trees year round if they don't need winter protection. Pines, junipers and other conifers can be pruned or wired and bent. Fall just before or after leaf drop is a great time to cut back deciduous. That's when I do most pruning on maples.
I probably would not be repotting but most styling work should be OK. Obviously the experienced local club members believe it is a good time and you'd have to assume they have some knowledge so let the experienced locals guide you.
Thank you both for your input! I also reached out to my club and got their suggestions and what the plan is for the workshop.

Top Bottom