My Cold Storage Built This Weekend

Baldemotions

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Here is a blog posting about the cold storage box I built this weekend. I include what I hope is the complete material list along with a bunch of photos.
5' x 8' x 8'

http://www.mnbonsainetwork.com/minnesota-heated-cold-storage-bonsai/

It was a good three days.
IMG_2181-225x300.jpg

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good. Placing it against the side connected to the house will help save on heating. I would vent the air or leave the door open on warmer days. Stale air seems to attract a lot of problems.

Baldemotions

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I for sure will be venting. The other thing I need to figure out is the best way to catch the water. I will probably try to install some sort of gutter system or something like it to catch water and dump it into one location.

Baldemotions

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
In the back of my mind I wouldn't mind connecting a duct into my basement to help draw warm air in. That would save on counting on my space heater for a 100% of the heat.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bet in the back of your helper's mind there is a princess castle almost finished in that cold storage thing. :)

ed

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think it will cost you that much to run a space heater in that room. A 1000-1500 watt heater can do a pretty good job. If you need more heat if it gets to -30 below you can run another space heater. My trees sit on shelves in my garage and I have only used another heater several times in the last fifteen years. But you are apparently a handyman so there's probably no stopping you.

Baldemotions

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Far from a true handyman. First time building anything.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I for sure will be venting. The other thing I need to figure out is the best way to catch the water. I will probably try to install some sort of gutter system or something like it to catch water and dump it into one location.

I stretched out plastic under the benches and then put holes in it over the boot trays that you buy for winter here in MN. It works pretty well. It's the water that hits the walls and drips down that I don't have much of an answer for.

Top Bottom