my collected leaning banyan

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This fig was collected about 11/2 months ago. It was in a big basket because of all the roots it had. I dont remember how tall it was, but it got chopped right after getting yanked out of its host. So last night my buddy and I decided to pot some collected trees. This one still has lots of roots, fine ones that feed the aireals, and from the trunk. Plenty to survive. So we kinda shoehorned it into this pot, which is the only kind I can find here. Plastic $2.00 crap. But theyre bonsai size and at least get the trees trained to live in the tight conditions. This tree obviously needs tons of help. I want to keep it a banyan style and leave the trunk at that angle since theyre natural and I think theyre ok. It has movement it whole length and back and forth, a nice start I hope. These backbud pretty well and I hope to get growth from the cut at the top for a leader. Or I could cut it just above a branch. I only left 2 branches so it should bud back all over the trunk pretty quickly. My idea is branches starting in the middle or so and grow them and an apex. Or I could make a raft type with braches from the whole length of the trunk. So what do y'all think? Ideas to help it or desighn ideas? I may as well cut off new buds where I dont want branches. In two months it should have tons to choose from. Or I could let low ones grow and resrict the uppers so it gets some taper started. Its standing on cut roots that are thick like the ones at the base. What sounds better? Im sure some wouldn't bother. But its what I can get, free, and I think its ok to learn from. To me its one of the better examples Ive found so far of the types I find. I like the roots but am conflicted about the thicker ones from so high. The smaller ones I like and will encourage by spraying and maybe moss and plastic.

Attachments

• IMG_20160705_130117.jpg
    IMG_20160705_130117.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20160705_130139.jpg
    IMG_20160705_130139.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20160705_130153.jpg
    IMG_20160705_130153.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 33

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I gotta say....
Your buddy must have a better camera!

Also, it's kinda hard to imagine these trees into something else without ever really seeing them with leaves...or growing, or how they grow...etc...

But I'm done ragging on you, and you know I love free! So....

Well, also...keep in mind I have no idea how these grow etc.

But here's what I would do.
aviary-image-1467756592310.jpeg

But Probly not soon.

I wanna see that left root let loose...to give it a "kickstand" of stability.
And if it will thicken, it will look even better to solidify its stance.

It seems there is too much high and topside root growth. The one lower heavy one seems strong enough. Id cut that higher topside root...And the branch.
The root above the branch thing doesn't really work for me...but again...I have no Idea how these grow...but that also may not matter.

I'd Probly cut that top tie loose too...
But I put it back in an effed up spot...
When it's free and thicker it should help "taper", as in, the whole banyan root mass visual taper....
It seems to be working against you in that manner now...AND where I replaced it...so don't put it back on there!

Free is good.
I have 2 spruces and a mugo that I paid for that are still alive...short some Junipers that haven't gone thru winter yet so they don't count, everything else that I have paid for has died.
Everything else I have was free.

I love free.

Free to beautiful is what this thing is about in my world!

Sorce

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Sorce. The roots higher than branches look bugs me too. When it gets established and sends out growth from the trunk, I can cut the higher branch and root section.
Your right, free is good. So is durable, tough too kill, fairly predictable, and available by the 100s. But its not often that I find one with so many exposed roots like this one. Plenty are poles with no taper, some of those I chop short and leave in a bucket to grow out more. I just show you curvy or unique ones. They can come with wierd shapes at attachment points to their hosts, anywhere the trunk touches the host and collects moss will turn into a mass of roots. These are big rainforest trees, not dwarfs or like the common small non strangler that gets 30'. These can be 100' or more if they have to stretch. In a sunny spot they grow roundish canopies and make a lot of shade. Typical figs I believe, from reading a lot about them. There are a lot of species of similar figs, so exact ID is hard. But there are the long leaf and rounder leaf types that I play with for my twigs in pots that might someday be pre bonsai. I have one that must be 8" around and 3' tall now, it was 20' when I found it. So far no buds but the brach I left is alive. Idk what I will do with it, but its alive so for now, like others, its just grow time. So I need to hunt more, to recover or die, so I can get them started too. Hunting them is as fun as potting and torturing them. I will take pics of a couple big ones while out looking. Some are big and you can hardly tell it started as a strangler, others grow from the ground like any tree. I cant afford to hit the nurseries lately, so hunting the figs noone wants works. I have lots in colanders or buckets just to grow, lots with movement but to small now. Heres one that I think is going to make it. It was pissed about collection! Only that one branch survived, without it this soecies dies like a benji. The round leaf kind can come back, usualy. This one leans too. Idk what I will do with it. Depends on where it buds. Its waking up, the branch has buds now.

Attachments

• IMG_20160705_131158.jpg
    IMG_20160705_131158.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 14

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice...I would love to see some shots of the collection areas...sounds cool.

I can totally see you championing these things like Vance does Mugo.

I want wait to see some progress on these things!
Jeez....I just had to look how long you been here...not even a year yet!
It seems so much longer!
I guess that's why I'm expecting so much more!

I really look forward to seeing what these become!

Sorce

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's my crude virtual. I agree with @sorce on the vertical air root. Although, I wonder if you should chop lower, below a couple of the larger air roots to avoid some nasty inverse taper as they thicken with the branches. Your climate should be easy to throw new air roots.

And I 2nd having you post some pics from these guys in the wild! I fell in love with ficus on our trip to CR about 8 years ago.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom