My Collected Spruce and Fir

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Great trees and great photographs of the bear nursing...I'd never seen something like that before. Very cool!

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In a recent post I mentioned how much I envied those living on the west coast for their proximity to excellent yamadori. Your post is a perfect example of that. That first tree is also my favorite. I'm always looking for places on the east coast where I can collect stunted evergrees, but whatever is here is usually on private/state property. What species of pine are native to your area?

Wildlife around the collection site help make the effort of collecting worth while.

Looking forward to seeing how they progress.

T

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There was another post recently where there was a battle about East Coast trees vs. West Coast trees...do I see a competition brewing?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Battle, probably not, we have some fine diggable materials on the east coast too, those guys on the left coast would love to grow larch there if they could. Plenty of other too. They just get thier nursery materials at half price.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All the trees in this thread are doing well pretty much the same, this summer was the second summer in a box. They all had new buds and growth. The only thing I did was cut some of the longer lanky, branches from them through out the summer as I'd walk by, ya that can go. Nothing major just working on keeping them happy. I might have some updated pics I'll post if I can find them.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I only collected a few this summer, but I didn't take any pics. Slow summer for collecting, real life got in the way.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
All the trees in this thread are doing well pretty much the same, this summer was the second summer in a box. They all had new buds and growth. The only thing I did was cut some of the longer lanky, branches from them through out the summer as I'd walk by, ya that can go. Nothing major just working on keeping them happy. I might have some updated pics I'll post if I can find them.

Gorgeous trees! I'm happy they are doing well.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking for pictures to post I thought you'd find this interesting, the date- this summer July 15 in my favourite avalanche path yamadori hunting zone. Same place as earlier in the thread a year later. The snow was so deep in this zone it's still there. Oh and kids make terrible collecting partners...

Attachments

• IMG_8132web.jpg
    IMG_8132web.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8124web2.jpg
    IMG_8124web2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice trees and good luck with them!

Dig dig pop up look for bears.... dig dig pop up look for bears....and I'm 100% serious. Lots of bears.

...and about 30 yds. away "BEAR THREE CUBS I'LL NEVER MAKE IT BACK TO THE TRUCK>>MILES AWAY PANIC" The Mother casually looks over, kept feeding the three cubs. I took my knife out (it's big), my bear spray ...
Knife? No matter how big, you must be kidding! I won't carry less than a .44 magnum in that area...preferrably a big bore rifle.

The crazy things we do for bonsai...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
But you can outrun them when the bears charge -right? So bonus there...

Of course I'm joking, nice looking bunch you have there. And some nice trees to show for the dig. Does the dog at least help?

Top Bottom