My Cork bark Jade

Ampersand

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a beginner to growing bonsai.
I was wondering how often can I water my Cork bark Jade?
During the summer I would water it daily when the temperature was 80 degrees Fahrenheit. But now it is getting a bit colder and I've been keeping my Jade inside by the window to still get sunlight and it's been dropping it's leaves.
Am I doing something wrong?

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
During the summer I would water it daily when the temperature was 80 degrees Fahrenheit. But now it is getting a bit colder and I've been keeping my Jade inside by the window to still get sunlight and it's been dropping it's leaves.
You may need more light to keep it happy indoors.
When watering now may be the time to go easy also. Like once a week instead of everyday.
You will see the leaves begin to shrivel when it’s time to water.

Ampersand

Seedling
Reaction score
You may need more light to keep it happy indoors.
When watering now may be the time to go easy also. Like once a week instead of everyday.
You will see the leaves begin to shrivel when it’s time to water.
Thank you for the feedback I will take your advice :)

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Promise me that if it doesn’t pull through that you will try again.
There are many plants.
You just have to find one that enjoys the care that you can give it.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Hello! If you add your location and USDA zone info to your profile, the experts around here can be even more helpful!

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Let’s talk about those rocks in your pot, @Ampersand. Is there any soil in there?

Ampersand

Seedling
Reaction score
Update: It seems Like my jade has been shriveling up on the tips of its branches. I haven't water it as often as I used to I let the soil dry up before watering. any tips?

Attachments

• IMG-5450.jpg
    IMG-5450.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 38

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
throw is outside as long as your temps are above freezing and just make sure the soil isn't dry and lets see if pops out shoots for you, you need leaves on that badly for it to start photosynthesis.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update: It seems Like my jade has been shriveling up on the tips of its branches. I haven't water it as often as I used to I let the soil dry up before watering. any tips?

Your location is needed.

Once it lost its ‘leaves’, it probably should not have been watered until you saw new growth. If it doesn’t have leaves and put out growth it really doesn’t need water now matter how dry it becomes. It is likely rotting now.

I’d unpot it and check the roots and lower stem for black squishy areas. If rotting, then cut it off above those areas and let the stem just sit out to dry. After a few days, you can pot it back in a small granular substrate with no organics. Something like, pumice, perlite, sand, scoria, crushed granite, etc. If the stem has enough reserves it may push roots and new growth. If not, it will continue to shrivel.

If this is a Portulacaria afra, they can be tricky to water when you move them from outside to inside. It is hard to overwater them when they are actively growing outdoors. But once moved inside (even though humidity is lower), the lack of wind and sunlight greatly reduces transpiration. Sticking a wooden chopstick or skewer into the soil to see if it is wet at depth can be a good tip for learning when to water.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For clarity and to avoid a soil war, yes you grow these and also root cuttings in about any substrate and outdoors my mix has organics. But I’ve found for rooting susceptible cuttings (e.g., prior rot or those over a few inches diameter), pure pumice is the best. For very large cuttings, I dry them for a week or longer and dust the bottom with powdered sulfur.

Ampersand

Seedling
Reaction score
For clarity and to avoid a soil war, yes you grow these and also root cuttings in about any substrate and outdoors my mix has organics. But I’ve found for rooting susceptible cuttings (e.g., prior rot or those over a few inches diameter), pure pumice is the best. For very large cuttings, I dry them for a week or longer and dust the bottom with powdered sulfur.
Thank you for the advice, As for my location I am located in 5b area for Illinois. as for the jade I have it inside for the majority of the time because of squirrels that like to bite off branches.

Top Bottom