My Dale Cochoy pot...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was so honored to have met Dale, and his wife Nanc. He may no longer be with us...but, he did it his way clean to the end. Even with his last firing which surely took a lot of inner strength to see through. But he did. I got to the point I could ask him questions...and sometimes feel it's like I didn't get to finish the book...when I think of things I wish I would have asked.

So, I was admiring my pot of his. The glaze...reminds me aged patina copper to a degree.

Ideas, pitcher plant for sure...and some taller accent plant.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Sticking with the water/bog theme...this bronze sculpture to add as well. Just made purchase...An exquisitely sculpted solid bronze sculpture by David Meredith.
This piece measures approximately 8cm tall by 1.5cm by 1.5cm.

image.jpg

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I recently found out he used to be president of the Cleveland Bonsai club. I also know the potter who bought his equipment. She's very good so hopefully his spirit will live on in her work.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I recently found out he used to be president of the Cleveland Bonsai club. I also know the potter who bought his equipment. She's very good so hopefully his spirit will live on in her work.
I had not known that. I know he established the Canton/Akron bonsai club. We had talked about that. Since I was interested in a club. But they were to far from me. But have since moved an hour closer. Very cool you know the potter...I believe Al/smoke does as well. He's shown some of her work if not mistaken. That had to be one of the hardest sells for him. But, knowing it was going into capable hands. Bringing closure and peace of mind.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's a little tidbit from our February 2000 newsletter (when he was president):

"On the evening of January 26th , Dale Cochoy led a bonsai pot making demonstration. About 15 brave souls ventured out for the lecture/demo. Attending members got to partake in personally making their own bonsai pots. Dale will be firing the pots at his
shop for presentation at the next meeting. The members that attended put a lot of time and effort into their pots."

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here's a little tidbit from our February 2000 newsletter (when he was president):

"On the evening of January 26th , Dale Cochoy led a bonsai pot making demonstration. About 15 brave souls ventured out for the lecture/demo. Attending members got to partake in personally making their own bonsai pots. Dale will be firing the pots at his
shop for presentation at the next meeting. The members that attended put a lot of time and effort into their pots."
Very cool...I wonder if he created the other group...to be closer to home. Makes one wonder if he was originally up that way originally. I know he spoke of having a bald cypress at his old place. Planting it even. But, I never thought to ask where that location was.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So this question, should go in accents. But since this pot is here. I hope it gets answered.

Pitcher plant...4-8"... How big is to big? Only going in one of the pots. Possibly the furthest pot. Something to mimic the stem the frog is on to go in the center pot. With more straight like reeds I think. With the frog...on a moss bed up front. It's the smaller of all three pots.
image.jpg
Though in all honesty, the pot can be turned for different looks as well.
image.jpg
image.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dale did a lot of notable bonsai stuff, from chrysanthemum bonsai
https://www.bonsaimary.com/Chrysanthemum-bonsai-part2.html

to selling his pots at the World Bonsai Convention show in Korea in 1997 as the only Western vendor. He was invited by the Korean Bonsai Association to sell at the show. I note this here because much was made about a couple of U.S. potters getting invited to show there wares in Japan a couple of months ago...

In Dale's own words:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/wild-things-bonsai-studio.986/
I still have my wild things bonsai studio T-shirt...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

to selling his pots at the World Bonsai Convention show in Korea in 1997 as the only Western vendor. He was invited by the Korean Bonsai Association to sell at the show. I note this here because much was made about a couple of U.S. potters getting invited to show there wares in Japan a couple of months ago...

In Dale's own words:
I hadn't known all that. Thanks for sharing! Very cool you still have your shirt too. ?

Pondering this suiban, but sent them an email asking which finish they felt best. I just can't make much from their photos on their site. To offer more water to the bog plants which will be in Dale's pot.
https://bonsaitrees.com/detail.php?id=312&catid=5

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've decided against pitcher plants. I don't wish to have Dale's pot competing with a suiban under it (two potters work). Still keeping the dwarf horsetail as one...and the frog on the Reed is working its way closer to me from the UK. In Akron,Ohio currently.

I'm pretty smitten with the texture of the dwarf horsetail. Scott Lee has success with them in pots without plugging the drain hole.

So, what goes with horsetail...that isn't a bog plant needing lots of water. But tends to a water theme plant feel?
First photo is of the horsetail in bloom.
image.jpgimage.jpg

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

In Dale's own words:

I used to have a Zelkova broom started by Keith. Roots as flat as a pancake!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Horsetail spreads by spores. Invisible, carried by the lightest air current. You have made a grave error.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Horsetail spreads by spores. Invisible, carried by the lightest air current. You have made a grave error.
The dwarf isn't to be as bad as the regular size. I've asked a few who have it as Kusamono. Another option is... To not allow it to bloom. Removing the cone tops...removes the chance of spores from spreading. Easy in a small pot.

Top Bottom