My day @ the growing grounds- 2014 chuchin

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Everyone,

Recently I was traveling through the Carolinas on business and decided to pay a visit to Marc Torpa of the Growing Grounds. I wanted to provide feedback to the bonsai community about my experience with Marc.

Despite some of the negative experiences that have been published I have to admit my in person experience with Marc were like night and day. Upon my arrival to the growing grounds(By appointment only) My wife and I were warmly greeted by Marc himself. Marc and his crew was in the middle of processing trees for sale but promptly stopped to give me a show of his nursery.

The man is a complete gentleman and is passionate and indulges in bonsai like all of us. For a person who has been doing Bonsai as long as he has he still approaches the art with tenacity and conviction. He was a down to earth guy and I felt a commonality like I was amongts a person I knew for 20 years.

In terms of his nursery HOLY COW...Trees everywhere...Well grown. Even though he had like what seems like thousands of trees the guy had a story on each. Just like us, Just like if anyone asked you about a tree on your bench most of us could tell a story. I was completely disoriented and in shock by the number of trees that this 1 man operation is producing.

I needed an inhaler, my pupils were dilated and I just can't quite describe the feelings I experienced that day. Please understand my love of Bonsai and understand being in a position like this and you may be able to imagine what I went through. Its enough to send someone to the hospital. All and all please consider Marc if you want a good bonsai and a good experience.

I am not speaking for everyone and every experience. My goal in writing this synopsis is only to give a perspective of my personal experience. This trip was important for me because it paved the path for me to deal with Marc for a long time in the future. At my age(Mid 30's, god willing that will be a long time.

I hope this is helpful to everyone and provides an insight...Here are a few pictures...

James(CHUCHIN)

Attachments

• Growing Ground Pic 1.jpg
    Growing Ground Pic 1.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Growing Ground Pic 2.jpg
    Growing Ground Pic 2.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Growing Ground Pic 3.jpg
    Growing Ground Pic 3.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 176

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for taking us along the trip. I appreciate you sharing your experience especially with what was said about him. Sounds like a good guy, I wish him success and may he improve his online vending strategy. :)

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple more pictures from the event...In this one Marc and I are cracking up about something. He is absolutely hilarious and a good guy. The other picture is of a trident I identified.

James

Attachments

• Growing Ground Pic 4.jpg
    Growing Ground Pic 4.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Growing Ground Pic 5.jpg
    Growing Ground Pic 5.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 152

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple more pictures from the event...In this one Marc and I are cracking up about something. He is absolutely hilarious and a good guy. The other picture is of a trident I identified.

James

Looks like you had a great time! I wonder if you will "leaf" out at the same time as the trident ? :p LOL I was thinking when I seen the picture, they are both deciduos varities .....

ed

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like you had a great time! I wonder if you will "leaf" out at the same time as the trident ? :p LOL I was thinking when I seen the picture, they are both deciduos varities .....

ed

Ha Ha! It was an awesome time. I spent 5 Hours hanging out with Marc... I delt with him online for the past 10 Years but never in person. We clicked right away...Bonsai Guy to Bonsai Guy! He has that fire for the art!!!

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
let's see what you brought home

Hey Don,

I purchased The Kabudachi Momjii, The tall Kaede and the smaller Kaede with both me and Marc in the picture. All pre-bonsai fun projects...Good bones...

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I agree, Marc is a great guy. I have another family outing planned this summer and I am definitely going to go back to visit, hopefully with some money to burn! I believe he put it very well when he said "it's big and beefy or it isn't here." :p

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice scores CHUCHIN! I specially like the kabudachi maple. Looks like a great project! Thanks for posting this as it sheds a different and better light on Marc. Unfortunately I had a bad experience with a large maple I bought from him. During shipment the tree's entire apex was completely destroyed due to VERY poor packing. I attempted to contact him to no avail. Oh well perhaps he is changing his ways? :)

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I see the long ride was worth It, i like both trees, especially the clump.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice scores CHUCHIN! I specially like the kabudachi maple. Looks like a great project! Thanks for posting this as it sheds a different and better light on Marc. Unfortunately I had a bad experience with a large maple I bought from him. During shipment the tree's entire apex was completely destroyed due to VERY poor packing. I attempted to contact him to no avail. Oh well perhaps he is changing his ways? :)

Thanks MACH I am actually taking this to a workshop in May with Jim Doyle... Its an oversized tree and looks great in person...When you come down to see my Nashikigoi and have a beer with me ill show it to you :)

James

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see the long ride was worth It, i like both trees, especially the clump.

Thanks Bud! Talking about driving...It was so funny to see the grimmace on folks faces driving by when they looked in the rear of my SUV and saw a bunch of plants. It was a good road trip...I had to be there anyway so I figure knock 2 birds with one stone.

Are you guys keeping T.Suggs? :) (Freak of nature that guy)

CHUCHIN

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Wow!

Looks like you picked up some really decent material to work on. Good luck with them and keep us updated on the progress.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm glad your experience went well. I'm sure Marc would love to hear about this positive feedback. I'd love to be back home in N.C. to see what he has to offer. There's so many things that can be grown there, and vice versa for SoCal. Being in SoCal has it's advantages, but it's hell trying to grow maples here. lol;)

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm glad your experience went well. I'm sure Marc would love to hear about this positive feedback. I'd love to be back home in N.C. to see what he has to offer. There's so many things that can be grown there, and vice versa for SoCal. Being in SoCal has it's advantages, but it's hell trying to grow maples here. lol;)

That's true, but you have Stone Brewery in your backyard. That counts for a lot. Sorry, back on topic now...

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Nice trees, thanks for posting. I always appreciate the positive...great props:)

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow!

Looks like you picked up some really decent material to work on. Good luck with them and keep us updated on the progress.

Thanks bud! I appreciate the well wishes...Very excited about each project.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Can You post better pictures of your trees? I would love to see them better.

Top Bottom