My Deshojo #2

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I picked this one up from an auction in feb this year, and this is my first chance to see its roots... they looked in pretty good shape. The pot I’ve had for a while was a bit smaller than I planed for the tree but wanted to use it as I really like it and wanted to put a tree in it.

The pot it was in was too big.

I think I took around 50% of the roots off:
40252CA1-7C8B-4BC2-8DA6-85BB214889DF.jpeg17B02251-4E5E-4F20-8ABD-D276DA3A2181.jpeg4D8FD853-6E3B-4013-A489-12FE65D320DA.jpeg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Drew, i half expected this to be another maple thread in which you wanted to carry out ground layering and grafting new branches on techniques. i was literally bamboozled to see that this one is a little further ahead in development;)

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great base - you could have taken even more roots off the bottom mate. Good pickup indeed!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you have any plans to shorten the tree? I could see it chopped at the section of the trunk where there is no taper.....possibly even inverse(reverse) taper.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Drew, i half expected this to be another maple thread in which you wanted to carry out ground layering and grafting new branches on techniques. i was literally bamboozled to see that this one is a little further ahead in development;)

Hi yeah I usually buy project trees. I went to an auction looking to buy another JBP and the guy forgot to bring it so I bought this one instead as I knew I had a pot for it. The pot it was originally in is a 2nd gen Shuhou stamp from Yoshimura.. (I confirmed this with Hidemi Kataoka san) pretty cool!

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1523.JPG

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great base - you could have taken even more roots off the bottom mate. Good pickup indeed!
Yeah I took alot odd the sides already so I went easy on the bottom this year... will have another go at taking more off next repot.

Do you have any plans to shorten the tree? I could see it chopped at the section of the trunk where there is no taper.....possibly even inverse(reverse) taper.
Yeah Ill just try and do the usual cutting back to shorter nodes as it grows I recon to build ramification etc...

D

Deleted member 21616

i love it! the trunk and base are great! Nice bark too; the first photos of rhe thread show those vertical striations!

any idea how old the tree was or how it was grown? (pot, ground, anderson flat)

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No idea how it was grown. I probably should have tried to find the seller as the auction but didn't. I'm guessing it was an import.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No soil at all underneath the rootball? Is this a standard practice for you when repotting maples? Why not put a thin layer of soil down? I’m not at this point of refinement with my maples yet, haven’t seen this done before.

D

Deleted member 21616

@Mike Hennigan i think @Smoke does it too! I’m very interested in the pro and cons

I repotted two 3yr old kashimas last week, one directly on the bottom of the pot, the other with soil underneath, just to test out precisely this

Last edited by a moderator:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Mike Hennigan i think @Smoke does it too! I’m very interested in the pro and cons

I repotted two 3rd old kashimas last week, one directly on the bottom of the pot, the other with soil underneath, just to test out precisely this

Think it's working ok.....
DSC01623.JPG

DSC01625.JPG

DSC01628.JPG

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No soil at all underneath the rootball? Is this a standard practice for you when re potting maples?
No soil at the bottom of this one as it would have been too high in the pot if i did. I don't think it will cause an issue as I want the roots growing our from the sides of the root-ball not the bottom.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No soil at the bottom of this one as it would have been too high in the pot if i did. I don't think it will cause an issue as I want the roots growing our from the sides of the root-ball not the bottom.

Nice! Yea I had heard Smoke mention doing this also but in my head I still imagined there would be a thin layer of soil put down. Very interesting. Looking forward to seeing your tree develop!

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry about the thread bomb @Drew Great Maple!!!:cool::D:D:D

maybe think about removing top 2-4 inches....5-8 cm??o_O:D:D:D:D:D
I agree @LanceMac10 It definitely needs shortening are regrowing in a few places due to long nodes etc so will aim to do this over the next few growing seasons.

Top Bottom