My developing Korean Hornbeam

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I got into this hobby in 2012 i purchased a lot of younger material over the next few years. Some lived, some died. I think I picked this one up in 2014 from Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks and it has been relatively problem free. It was young and thin, so I placed it in the ground for a few years where it grew relatively well. I'd like some more girth to the trunk, but I also want to work with trees and this is only one of three deciduous i have in a bonsai pot so work it I shall for now.
IMG_2627.JPG

Gives some nice fall color.
IMG_2629.JPG

Dug a few years back and cut down some. Left to recover the season and then cut down some more to what I decided would be the new leader.
IMG_2628.JPG

New leader grew out and this is how it looked this year before work.

IMG_2630.JPG

This is now after a recent repot and wiring. The scar obviously needs to heal and i'll keep that tissue rolling, slowly...I'd like to get foliage in tighter but want to see where the healthy buds pop from to cut back farther. It's been a good learning experience with this tree thus far.

IMG_2634.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Don't change what you're doing for now, but in the future, that second section of trunk should probably be shortened. If you are going with a traditional informal upright design, the movement of the trunk should become tighter as you move up to the apex. Right now the second section is too long and straight.

My hornbeams are only barely starting to bud out now...

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't change what you're doing for now, but in the future, that second section of trunk should probably be shortened. If you are going with a traditional informal upright design, the movement of the trunk should become tighter as you move up to the apex. Right now the second section is too long and straight.

My hornbeams are only barely starting to bud out now...

It does look straight in the photos but there actually is a lil wiggle in that section, not enough. I do not disagree with you though and when i was working it i was debating shortening it further and picking a new leader. I get a little skittish with deciduous after cutting off a lot and ultimately held back...

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love it! Thanks for sharing. Hows the scar from the first cut back healing over?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love it! Thanks for sharing. Hows the scar from the first cut back healing over?

Slow. I haven’t done it any favors by slowing the growth.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome!
I have some gallon size I am nursing in prep for cuttings.Hope to start very early indoors after the trees have enough dormancy.
Enjoy your Autumn colors.
I love these trees.

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thats looking really good! Thanks for sharing the progression too. As I'm new I can attest to what you experienced back then with buying a lot of young material maybe a bit too quickly. Haha Hopefully in some years I'll have a few progressions like this myself. Cheers!

Top Bottom