My Dwarf Mugo Pine... advice needed!

cooldaddyfunk286

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Here is my dwarf mugo...I honestly think this thing, right from the get go, has AMAZING potential and structure. I was afraid since its DWARF and so developed, that it wouldn't grow any further...well I was wrong, I pinched some of the buds and it started taking off in growth. Its in a TINY pot, and dries everyday, so I think I'm going to re pot it today into a 1 gal air pruning pot to develop finer roots and to grow further.

I bought this 2-3 weeks ago, and I made the mistake of putting it indoors under my grow light in the tent setup...but the tree is REALLY HAPPY for the time being. so I'm a little torn on what to do...

do I re-pot today, back in the grow tent, let it take to the pot and think its summer time till spring...

do I leave it in the small pot and get it outside now? bury it outside, pot and all...we had out first snow last night, but it didn't stick.

I'm hoping/thinking to re-pot it today, put it back under the grow light and let it take to the new pot and let it ride out in the grow tent under late summer/fall temps all winter, and then start doing the RIGHT thing w this pine, now that I know it needs to be outside. I plan to simulate a dormancy inside if I can, and by spring, I'll be treating this pine the way it needs.

look guys, please no flaming. I KNOW NOW that putting it in the grow tent was the wrong thing to do by Bonsai Law...but its greener, bigger, and happier than hell...so based on that, I wanna do whats best for the tree given my situation.

Thanks!

20141115_133534_zpsnkdfecng.jpg

20141115_133519_zpslycjwnw3.jpg

20141115_133534_zpsnkdfecng.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It may be "bigger, happier, greener" now but it will not stay that way. It needs a dormancy period every year and will die at some point if you dont allow it to have this. The problem is if you just throw it outside now, it might go into a bit of shock with the sudden temperature change.

I recommend: Do not repot now.
Try to get it acclimated to outside slowly over the next few weeks so that it gets used to it. Do this by putting it in a cooler area (if you have such a place) now for a few days. Outside if temps are 40 or above should be fine. Then gradually expose to longer and colder periods until it is outside all the time. Protect it from anything below 30 for now. Once you get it fully acclimated to outside, let it have its full dormancy.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would probably just stick it outside and let it fight it out for winter, seeing as it's cheap stock and mugos are so cold hardy. You probably need to scrape the surface soil away to see where the base really starts so you know what kind of nebari you're working with. Look in the crotches where the branches split and reduce them down to two per split so you don't end up with whorls or knots. Look up the thread on here with Vance Wood's compiled advice.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I say leave it in the grow tent and see what happens. If you can keep it alive inside, maybe I'll give them another shot...I couldn't keep mine alive outside:p.

cooldaddyfunk286

Yamadori
Reaction score
well...

What Im THINKIN is transplant it, back in the tent for a week or 2 to take to the new pot. ( it REALLY needs to be repotted, I can see new roots trying to fight thru the tangled web. this baby wants to GROW. I understand that they need dormancy every winter, the tent in is a cold garage, with lots of t12 fluoros on the high ceiling. I think the low temp in the garage, and the low light (juust enough) may accomplish a dormancy. I was told the coldest 3 months, so I still have a bit of time to repot and let it get stronger before i attempt to give it a dormancy. I know its cheap stock, but I can NOT find Mugos anywhere by me. there is only one bonsai nursery and its a half hour north. I picked up this dwarf mugo and the dwarf hedgehog white spruce when I went to Jersey a few weeks ago. It may even be my favorite tree we have believe it or not, so the last thing I wanna do is shock or kill it. Iv been saying if I put it outside, I know it has to be done slowly, it needs to be acclimated.

suppose I can't simulate a proper dormancy in the garage, I think if I let it just grow in the tent through a SINGLE winter, its much more likely to be better for me than if I do not re pot (because it needs it horribly) and just put it outside. We got out first snow on the ground yesterday!

What I'm really going to need you guys to tell me is if I let them go dormant in the cold garage, WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR?! basically how will I KNOW that its gone dormant? what are the signs? change in color? needle drop? how do you know? (This I have been wondering for all our evergreen varieties) Because my 2 junipers Iv had growing on my back deck at home for a few months, I plan to put them in the shed for their dormancy, super cold, windows for light. i just NEED TO KNOW what I'm supposed to be looking for, since this is my first season with this.

thanks guys! I appreciate all the different opinions. To me, that's what forums are all about. You get a handful of great opinions, but only YOU truly know whats going on in person, so you combine common sense, with what your experiencing, and the advice your being offered...and you go from there! Thats how Iv always had amazing success with all of my hobbies. Love forums. I just didn't want anyone thinking I'm not listening. I am.

You guys are leading this horse RIGHT to the water! I just need to test pH and PPM before I drink it! ;):)

P.s...I don't plan to KEEP this tree indoors, its just what I'm doing right now, and what will be best short term. I'm hoping that even without ONE dormancy, this tree will be just fine for the long haul once next winter rolls around and these junis, pine and spruce will have already been living outside since the spring! So, I will get everything sorted out by next season as far as keeping the strictly outdoor trees OUTDOORS.

But, I know I'm doing well so far.

thanks again.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
You're over thinking it. A root bound mugo is NOT a problem. Repotting out of season and trying to keep a temperate tree growing year round IS a problem.

Since it's been in your garage just put it outside now and forget it. You will not need to monitor it when dormant and outside, just bury it in snow and be done with it. Your current plan will very likely kill the tree.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am not the Mugo expert, Vance is.

But, I'll tell you that a sure-fire way to kill a tree is to "baby it". Sure, we want to give them optimal conditions, but what that means is we need to provide an environment as close to what these trees experience in the wild in their native habitats.

This tree is native to Northern Europe and the Alps.

I'll let you take it from here.

Oh, by no stretch of the imagination should this tree be reported now.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A root bound mugo is NOT a problem. Repotting out of season and trying to keep a temperate tree growing year round IS a problem.

Since it's been in your garage just put it outside now and forget it. You will not need to monitor it when dormant and outside, just bury it in snow and be done with it.

This.
Don't repot. Just get the thing dormant and start next year.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm with Adair and Bobby on this one. Stop messing with it. I know, especially when you are starting out, to want to do something. I think in this case you will end up killing it if you don't stop.

There is this notion that a root bound tree will surly die if we don't intervene as soon as possible. Then tell me why a trees growing in rock crevice in the wild can survive for hundreds of years without ever being repotted. Maybe the tree doesn't know it is supposed to die once it becomes root bound.

Another couple of months root bound is not going to kill a tree. Messing with a trees roots at the wrong time of the year just could though.

Take a look at A question for Vance Wood for a good guide on how to grow mugos.

I would also recommend taking another trip up to that nursery that is a half hour north. I was there a couple of weeks ago and they had quite a few mugos. Most of them had some good trunks to work with. I am kicking my self for not picking up a couple at 40% off. They are probably mulched in for the winter by now though. Come spring you should have more selection.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dave, why would you tell someone to put that tree back into a warm grow tent when you know it needs dormancy?

Several of us have said the exact same thigs to him in two different threads. He works for a plant related company, he doesnt know these things or at least have some idea already?
I have come to the conclusion that the OP only wants to hear things that align with his opinion and beliefs.

Unless youre going to tell him that a warm grow tent year-round is great for a temperate tree, and you can do any work, any time, anywhere to any tree, then he doesnt want to hear what you have to say.

I am done participating in these discussions.
Good luck OP, youre gona need it.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dave, why would you tell someone to put that tree back into a warm grow tent when you know it needs dormancy?

Several of us have said the exact same thigs to him in two different threads. He works for a plant related company, he doesnt know these things or at least have some idea already?
I have come to the conclusion that the OP only wants to hear things that align with his opinion and beliefs.

Unless youre going to tell him that a warm grow tent year-round is great for a temperate tree, and you can do any work, any time, anywhere to any tree, then he doesnt want to hear what you have to say.

I am done participating in these discussions.
Good luck OP, youre gona need it.

I agree.. i just got a JBP thats a couple years old and its outside in the snow and its doing fine. I see no reason not to stick that thing outside and forget about it until the birds start to sing again. And for how do you know when they are dorminant. I go by if the soil is frozen solid.. chances are they are sleeping :)

Rick

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This guy seems to have it in his head that he can grow temperate trees in a tropical setup. Take it from someone who has been where you are, you aren't going to be successful with the Mugo. I've spent thousands on lighting alone and was unsuccessful at keeping temperate trees happy. If you just listen to us it'll save you money down the road.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
For those of you who thought I was serious in my post, I wasn't. I thought it was obvious in an ironic way:(. My apologies. Still, if the OP wants to experiment with his set up and trees, let him. You've all tried to help him out here. Let's see what next spring brings.

Top Bottom