MY elm project

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This Yatsabusa Elm was taken from a very small cutting, it was container grown for one season after rooting, then placed on the tufa rock and buried. I've been slowly removing dirt from around the roots, this is the second summer its been on the rock and seems to be grasping the rock much faster then expected. I've been fertilizing heavily, the first branch will probably be the new trunk, while air layering the rest of the tree, for now I'm just trying to thicken the trunk and roots, so I'm letting it kinda grow wild to get good gains, any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. I'm gonna try today to get some better photos, but in the long run i feel this could be a decent tree.

Attachments

• resized pic1.jpg
    resized pic1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great work, I have a Yatsubusa Elm I purchased earlier this year and planted in the ground. Cant wait for it to develop more. I love how this tree has a natural dense growth which it seems to push from anywhere and everywhere.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks guys,its good to hear possitive feedback from others in the hobby(lifestyle)i live in the sticks and have three little ones so clubs and bonsai classes are not feasable right now.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would remove the dirt from around the roots slower. Don't hurry it.

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Great work, I have a Yatsubusa Elm I purchased earlier this year and planted in the ground. Cant wait for it to develop more. I love how this tree has a natural dense growth which it seems to push from anywhere and everywhere.

Hi Mike,

You have a Yatsabusa Elm in the ground? Is it hardy to zone 5a?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the info Jason,i was thinking of maybe recovering some roots,would this help them thicken a bit faster?and i live in Maryland Rogue,we have very cold winters sometimes and ive never had problems with elms in the ground,especially yatsabusa.

Top Bottom