My Ficus bonsai trees are dying. The both came in poor condition. Almost no leaves left. Can I cut them into a stump for new growth in the spring?

Lisai

Seedling
Reaction score
I got a Fukieon and a Too little weeping fig bonsai trees this year.
They came in poor condition and have gotten worse. There are only 2 leaves left on the Fukieon and a dozen on the fig in no good grouping or form.

I was wondering if I could trunk chop them into stumps and get new growth next spring?

I figured I might be at least be able to help the trunks grow thicker and start new growth.

But, if it is pretty much hopeless, should I write them off now and start with better trees in the Spring?

Please advise.
Thank you in advance!

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No! If your trees are not healthy you NEED to get them better before doing any work, let alone a trunk chop. That would most surly kill them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you just recently get them? Dropping leaves from stress (like shipping and being in a new location) is pretty common. I would put them outside, out of direct sunlight, keep them moist but not sopping wet and they may recover within a few weeks. Fukien tea is especially temperamental.

Lisai

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks all. I kept caring and they just started some new leaves!

Follow up Q:
Where, online, (going to PA), do I buy fresh, disease free, highly likely to germinate indoor bonsai tree seeds?

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good to hear! Just saying this to make sure you know, but there is no "bonsai" tree. There's some species of trees that lend to differemt bonsai techniques more so then others. With that said if you are going to be growing them indoors you will want to go with Tropicals! So the question becomes where do I get good tropical seeds.

I know thats not the answer you were looking for and sorry if you knew this. It can be hard to tell with new accounts sometimes.

As for your question. Im sure someone will hook you up.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
None of these trees like being moved and sometimes they will react by dropping all their leaves.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Where did you get them?
What kind of soil are they in?
Can you share pics?
Where are you located?

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I got a ficus shipped to my from Florida.
All the leaves fell off but it quickly grew new ones. FT are a bit more finicky than ficus.
On a healthy tree it will usually bounce back.
D6B646D8-06F5-4192-88E4-A7DA233CC987.jpeg
During recovery
0BC0A82F-AAF9-444A-816B-81CDEF15CA98.jpeg
And now- to be fair this is about one year later.

Top Bottom