My first bonsai (14 years ago) - ginseng ficus

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I imagine a lot of people hang onto their first tree for sentimental reasons, even if (like this one) it is mostly crap. This "ginseng ficus," grafted by the grower with both standard microcarpa and green island foliage, has been grown out and severely cut back a number of times. Several years ago, I successfully approach grafted one of the standard branches onto the green island main "trunk," in a vertical orientation. What I did not realize is that the standard would grow much more rapidly - leading to the obvious reverse taper at the graft site. I have been attempting to fix that by approach grafting a standard branch onto the green island trunk below the graft site, and will graft another standard branch going in the opposite direction this summer. I have and probably will continue to see and remove green island foliage that buds out from this area. Just another odd quirk of this tree.

It also produces copious aerial roots whenever humidity is over about 70%. The heavy columnal roots you see were produced about 11 years ago, without much effort. Whatever magic gave me those has been difficult to repeat for some reason, but possibly in the next year I will add a humidifier to my grow tent setup, and attempt to create a mass of roots to cover the grotesque (Rubenesque?) form of the "ginseng" roots.

Long term, I hope to develop a spreading, banyan-type canopy. This should be easier now that I am growing under intense LED lights.

0127211007a.jpg

0127211008.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Defoliated and partially wired. When it leafs back out, I plan to pack that gap in the base with sphagnum and wrap with plastic to grow roots and hopefully fill in the space. In the long run, after the next graft takes on the center trunk, I may cut off the top few inches and grow a crown from the grafted branches.

0213212027.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, we are now at 16 years and I decided to make a big change. After accidentally getting knocked off the bench and having its top snapped off, the tree failed to sprout there. So I placed the tree in a terra cotta pot and tilted it to the side. One branch now becomes the top.

20230129_090621.jpg
20230129_093019.jpg

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, we are now at 16 years and I decided to make a big change. After accidentally getting knocked off the bench and having its top snapped off, the tree failed to sprout there. So I placed the tree in a terra cotta pot and tilted it to the side. One branch now becomes the top.

View attachment 470420
View attachment 470421
I like how you salvaged the fall! It looks good as a semi cascade!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didn’t start actually trying bonsai out until6 years ago. But I do still have a jm I started from seed 11 years ago. And yes I am trying to salvage it lol the roots are terrible but personally I love it because it is my first tree that I still have lol

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You go! There may be a great bonsai in there yet.
There has to be! I neglected it for years and it didn’t quit so I am now obligated to make it into a bonsai! Also removed 90% of roots out of a 8 gallon container last spring and it responded well. I can’t give up on her now!

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If any of my dumb ugly ginsengs look like this in 16 years, I'll be ecstatic. Cool tree!

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We all have an “ugly tree” from the early days providing we didn’t kill or dispose of it, i like how you saved it after the drop and actually prefer its new look. Not every tree has to be perfect, sometimes it’s nice to appreciate the character of some of the more unconventional ones.

For a first tree it’s looking a lot better than most holding that title!

Top Bottom