My First Bonsai: A Fukien Tea Tree!

1.0reef

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello, my name is Shane. I've been hard at work, shaping and growing my aquariums scapes. I am working on a Amano style scape. Which seem to be very similar to Bonsai considering shaping and growing, but usually a fraction of the age. I've always loved nature, excluding wasps, around 3 years ago I saw this tank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh6Cz_H8Uhg and that started my aquarium addiction, the FW side was fueled by some of the AGA aquascaping contest contenders. I saw my first Bonsai at least 5 years ago, I knew next to nothing about them. I liked them, but didn't care for them. Lately a saw a few more, just incredible ones, and saw some of the vigorous care that went in to them.
On my way back from Socal I passed by a bonsai tree stand, in 105 degree weather!
I bought this Fukien Tea Tree plus some ferts for $50, plus the awesome tree trunk pot. Sorry about the terrible pics, the best camera I own is my Iphone 3S's camera :(

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to B-Nut!

First, avoid buying from those sellers...they are usually overpriced and sometimes sell sick or dying plants. FYI, similar sized Fukien tea can be had from Walmart or Home Depot for $8.00-$12.00.

2nd, FT loves outdoors (as most plants do). Mine are under shade and only get morning sun but our temps are relatively close. Your tree may drop leaves but should re-grow a new set shortly (IF it is healthy). They do not want their roots drying so learn how to water them properly. Usual sign is dull leaves then wilting. If that happens, dunk the entire pot in a container with water for several minutes. Again, depending on how dry you let it go...it can drop all its leaves also.

Good luck!

1.0reef

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you very much, I feel like an aquarium noob all over again.
I had read they liked being outside, but it's still 100 for a while. I can only imagine later July/Augest :cool:
The seller watered it the day before I bought it, which is nice, I gave it a bit of moisture just so the top of the soil is cool and a bit moist.
I saw a few unhealthy leaves, and cut them off, but otherwise it looks quite healthy. I feel like I'm going to have fun shaping this tree in the years to come! :D
Also, the seller said that they aren't that hard to keep, would anyone here agree to this?

1.0reef

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Also, I read up these prefer high light, ATM this plant gets filtered morning sun. I added a 13 watt Ottlight over it, I'm currently running the light 4 hours a day.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to B-nut.
Fukiens are notorious for being finicky and dropping leaves for any reason, so don't be discouraged if it does.
I'm in NY and mine loves full sun all day every day during the summer. In winter i have it inside under lights for 12 hours a day. Mine never liked to stay too wet so I tend to let it get dry between waterings, however I have a lot of humidity. You will have to see how yours responds in your climate.
You can check the soil moisture by pushing a chopstick down the side of the pot to see if it is still moist below the surface.

Best of luck with it!

1.0reef

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I saw 2 yellow leaves, luckily it wasn't 50 phew
Watered it, misted it (They love humidity so I'm going to do this daily), thinking of watering every 2 days or daily.
Looks good otherwise. I think the leaves yellowed up because I didn't water it in a dry 100 degree heat.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The yellow leaves could be just that you have moved it, Teas are a really easily stressed tree and it does not take much for leaf drop. They will take 100 degree heat better than they will take indoor environments. Good luck with it and keep er green.

ED

1.0reef

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I moved it outside yesterday, get's some sun, I hung an led over it (3K warm white) which will probably help.
No more yellow leaves.

1.0reef

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The tree is doing quite good, I mist it 2-3 times per day and the moss bed under it/around the pot around 5 times per day.
I'm going to start a journel thread, I'll get a link to it from this thread soon.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
be careful not to love it to death. Misting several times a day seems like too much to me, and it isnt even outdoors in high heat. Also, watering without knowing if it NEEDS water can kill it quicker than a lot of things. Take the advise of an earlier poster and put a chopstick into the soil and leave it there. Check it for dampness every day. If damp, do not water. If dry, water it.
Bonsai culture is one of patience. Be sure to practice that part well.

1.0reef

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah, I actually cut back on the misting (Once a day, if the afternoon) But i'm still misting the moss bed below it a lot.
I water once a day, check the moisture. 2 days ago it was cooler and the soil wasn't dry so I skipped.
Lucky my fish tanks helped with the patience part, one of my salt tanks is still cycling after 6 weeks and counting. The first hard coral won't be added for at least another year, maybe two.

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Yeah, I actually cut back on the misting (Once a day, if the afternoon) But i'm still misting the moss bed below it a lot.
I water once a day, check the moisture. 2 days ago it was cooler and the soil wasn't dry so I skipped.
Lucky my fish tanks helped with the patience part, one of my salt tanks is still cycling after 6 weeks and counting. The first hard coral won't be added for at least another year, maybe two.

I feel you on the aquariums, I have multiple 20-55 gallon aquariums. All fresh water.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had my tropicals under 2 50w LEDs this past winter in a 15 Gal aquarium and they only needed watering twice a day. I used very free draining soil with 5% long grain sphagnum so I probably got away with over watering at that rate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom