My first bonsai: an Ohio Buckeye transplant

Ulmius

Seed
Reaction score
After reading up a bit on bonsai, I went out to a friend's place, and I got an Ohio buckeye from a sample near a creek a few weeks ago, here it is now... the leaves have fallen off since then for the fall season, and I have it in partial shade on my balcony area outside. I have it in a drained pot with Miracle-Gro soil, and it's still green, so it must be doing fine, I just get nervous when I don't see growth. Anyone here have experience with these? I figure the leaf buds on the ends will start growing come springtime.

Attachments

• IMG_4594.jpg
    IMG_4594.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4595.jpg
    IMG_4595.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4596.jpg
    IMG_4596.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 19

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please add location to profile. Helps with advice. Transplant not exactly at best time and leaves fall likely because of this. Is not Fall yet;). Keep pot soil from hard freezing in Winter and from drying out but do not keep in house. Best of fortune in spring.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Learn what dead is without scratching.

"Seeing Green" never really changes anything for the better.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The leaves are too big and only someone from Columbus would fall for it. Fumble on the one.

Ulmius

Seed
Reaction score
Please add location to profile. Helps with advice. Transplant not exactly at best time and leaves fall likely because of this. Is not Fall yet;). Keep pot soil from hard freezing in Winter and from drying out but do not keep in house. Best of fortune in spring.

Thanks for the tips! When I read about the species, I learned that their leaves actually fall earlier than other trees, and all the buckeyes on the property had dying leaves. That being said, the stress from transplanting certainly didn't help, so I'll be watching it. I think the soil shouldn't freeze too badly come winter, but with this area, there's usually a few days of snowfall and a few more icy days.

Ulmius

Seed
Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

Learn what dead is without scratching.

"Seeing Green" never really changes anything for the better.

Sorce

How does one do that? The only other method I use is bending the branches with thumb and forefinger to make sure the wood is still supple.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How does one do that? The only other method I use is bending the branches with thumb and forefinger to make sure the wood is still supple.
The slight wrinkles in your first picture are an indication that it might be a goner. The green can stay for a while after it’s dead, this is why it’s not the best test.
You need a ficus! Since fall/winter is coming, it’s not a good time to start an outdoor bonsai.
Go to Lowe’s, HomeDepot or a local plant nursery and grab a little ficus for $15.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The leaves are too big and only someone from Columbus would fall for it. Fumble on the one.

I laughed pretty hard at this for some reason.

With that said, this wasn't collected at the right time of year, and into soil which is great for tomatoes, but poor for bonsai, which probably will doom it. However, if that happens, don't let that discourage you. Read and learn some more!

1. I'm in the camp that any species can be fun and can make a "bonsai". Leaves don't have to be tiny - you can always visualize large leaves as foliage masses, or grow the tree for its winter silhouette.
BUT,
2. There are some species that are just going to be a lot easier than others to pull off, both horticulturally, and visually.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Me, too. Buckeyes are such big targets...

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What’s your experience working with them? Have you worked with them long?

I'm on my third season with this collected buckeye. Each year has seen more growth as it filled out its roots. In the spring, I plan to pull it out and take a look and if it is ready will pot it up.

The biggest thing I've learned is to keep it shaded and cool. They'll be one of the first trees to leaf out and one of the first to go dormant. In year 1, I had it in full sun for far too long. All the foliage was gone by the end of June. Last year, I moved it to the shade sooner but not soon enough. Foliage was gone by late July (IIRC). This year, I got it into part shade as soon as it started to warm and full shade by the time summer hit. When it got hot, I watered multiple times a day and syringed (spray with water) the foliage at least once a day. It is September and it still had the foliage, though it is just about spent.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
8AADAF10-995F-492E-85F7-07F49FB7A8DB.jpeg8AADAF10-995F-492E-85F7-07F49FB7A8DB.jpeg

Buckeyes in PA on July 4th. I love my Buckeyes!
1) They like partial to full shade. I have them blooming in the deep shade.
2) They don’t drop their leaves unusually early, at least in PA. Mine are still beautifully green.
3) This has got to be one of the hardest trees to try to Bonsai!

Welcome to the Forum! Be prepared for these people to rock your world! I vacillate between fascination and the urge to bury everything in the compost heap and run!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm on my third season with this collected buckeye. Each year has seen more growth as it filled out its roots. In the spring, I plan to pull it out and take a look and if it is ready will pot it up.

The biggest thing I've learned is to keep it shaded and cool. They'll be one of the first trees to leaf out and one of the first to go dormant. In year 1, I had it in full sun for far too long. All the foliage was gone by the end of June. Last year, I moved it to the shade sooner but not soon enough. Foliage was gone by late July (IIRC). This year, I got it into part shade as soon as it started to warm and full shade by the time summer hit. When it got hot, I watered multiple times a day and syringed (spray with water) the foliage at least once a day. It is September and it still had the foliage, though it is just about spent.
Interesting, I do frequently see them growing in the shade, but I was unaware that this was a preference 🤔
Very cool 👍

Top Bottom