my first bonsai i need big help

Reaction score
i was given a juniper bonsai tree as a gift and i want to take care of it but i dont really know what im supposed to be doing. i dont have an outside area to put it so i placed it next to the only window i have in my room. I think it gets lots of sunlight and I water it everyday. I also put it on the rock tray that it came with. I was reading a website and it said to put water on the rocks something about the moisture i think. Anyways, it is turning brown and some of the leaves are falling off. I've only had it for about 2 weeks and i dont know why this is happening because im watering it and its getting sunlight. does anyone know what i can do to stop it from turning brown? i really need help because i dont want it to die and i dont know what im doing wrong. hopefully ive attached some pictures so you can see what im talking about. I dont know if theyll help or not but anything helps. thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0639 (1).jpg
    IMG_0639 (1).jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0641 (1).jpg
    IMG_0641 (1).jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0643 (1).jpg
    IMG_0643 (1).jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 26

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a tree species (juniper) that will only thrive longterm in an outdoor environment. Do you have access to the building rooftop, courtyard or other open area with lots of sun to keep it? If not, maybe a friend or family has a sunny place for it?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a Juniper bonsai and despite what they may have told you when you bought it, its an outdoor tree that needs to be outdoors. It will survive for a little while inside, but they will always go downhill and die off if kept inside year round. I see you don't have a good outdoor area to keep it in, so not really sure what to tell you here. I will say to make sure it gets as much light as possible, and watering everyday is not doing you any favors. Wait for the soil to dry out a bit and only water when the first half inch or so feels dry to the touch. Stick your finger in to the first knuckle or so and if it feels wet or moist, don't water. if it feels dry, go ahead and give it a drink.

Best advice would be to pick up something a little more suitable to your indoor environment. If that is a south facing window you should do fine replacing that juniper with a Ficus or a Schefflera. You'll see a happier bonsai with more growth with one of these species.

Here is a pic of two Junipers I have. They are the same age and practically the same style. The one on the left had lived outside its whole life. The one on the right was kept in a window in an office for about a year and a half or so.
2j.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is that same juniper from the right but after having been outside for 1 full growing season.

IMG_20190801_063841.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is a common misunderstanding on the care of these junipers that is almost universal across everyone who starts off their interest in bonsai with this entry point and the response is universally that which @cheap_walmart_art has expressed.

This is the fault of those selling the bonsai and not the buyers. Read as much info as you can in the juniper sub forum on basic care and growing requirements. Youll find that they require things such as outside light, dormant period during cold months and that they dont like 'wet feet.

Try to find a good tropical for your indoor environment. Even these like to be outdoors during summer.

Include your location in profile for best advice.

Uncle Robo

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep it outside if you can. If not, open the window.
Don't water it everyday, let it dry a bit between waterings.
You don't need the tray of rocks.

Top Bottom