My First Bonsai Maple, this tree and i need a lot of help

Scaryface

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Guys

Attached are a few photos of my tree, i purchased it today, it was a little rushed, and now on closer inspection, it seems this tree has been manhandled a bit. "See attached photos" now this being my first tree i need some help.

This is a Acer palmatum approximately 8 inches in height. Germinated in 1998. "if you need it".

1. The leaves look a bit Scorched " this is what I am actually hoping it is" what are your thoughts?

2. Should i re pot? I don't know when last re potting was done

3. Any tips or advice on styling i should research or focus on with what i currently have.

4. Any tips or advise in general.

Thanks in advance !

Attachments

• maple front.jpg
    maple front.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 61
  • mapletopleafhelp.jpg
    mapletopleafhelp.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 57
  • trunkupclose.jpg
    trunkupclose.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 59

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Most users will ask you to post your location and/or your USDA zone. This will help a lot of the pros give you more specific care information.

I am extremely ignorant when comes to the art of bonsia but from a simple gardeners prospective I would say this plant is simply a bit sun scorched. I would say this plant is on the low side of healthy and you should wait until spring to do anything to it.

Please have a professional here give you second opinion and confirm though before you do anything, although I am fairly sure you will be suggested to put it in the ground at the least.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ceijay is correct. No one can answer what to do with it "now" until we know where you are. Please go to your profile and enter your location.
Welcome to the forum!

It's actually a decent start for a first tree, and it looks to be in good soil. Leaves on maples can get this scorched appearance from a couple things, mainly if they dry out a bit, or get too much sun or wind. It will not hurt the tree, its only a cosmetic issue. If you are new to bonsai, you'll need to learn how to correctly water first. Put a wooden skewer down into the soil, pull it out every day. When it begins to come out a bit dryer, then water until it streams out the bottom of the pot. Wait a couple minutes, then repeat.

Scaryface

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you for the replies guys. I am in South Africa Gauteng Region,

@Ceijay - Thanks, am thinking that too, I was just unsure if there was any prep work that needed to be taken care of.

@JudyB - I have updated the location status thanks, couldn't find it earlier. my USDA Zone would be equivalent to your 7a Region warm temparate, dry winters. but I am sure there is more to it than that.

Thanks !

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am only a gardener and not a bonsai artist so I can only offer you a very limited amount of information and prep work would be something I would not feel comfortable making suggestions on.

With your location being South Africa I am unsure if I can offer you any sound advice even at a gardener level. However there are users here from your area who can give very useful information. The advanced artist here seem to like additional information regarding plant species, previous work done to the plant including watering and feeding routines and possibly future plans for this plant.

My uneducated opinion that this plant is adorable and I love it. The trunk is on the thin side which is something I rather prefer but I am sure is not desired by many. It has some character with the knots from trimming old branches but over time I am unsure if they will develop into something ascetically pleasing as they may enlarge as the tree ages. The nebari of this plant is either non-existent or not visible in the photo and may require more development.

Please, PLEASE take the advice of more advanced members as these critiques are from an organic gardener and NOT a bonsai artist. Wish I had something like this to start with.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's a good start. For Noobs (like myself) the hardest part is the waiting. We get confused when someone tells us to have great bonsai, you have to let them grow. Seems counterintuitive but you will soon learn this to be true. I recommend studying the horticulture behind it. Check out this link: http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/AcerPalmatum.html and to quote Sorce,.."Welcome to the crazy!"

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fun!

Scaryface

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Ceijay - I have very little gardening experience and no bonsai experience so i am beyond noob, but your input and that from everyone else has helped to stop me from doing something very stupid. The Trunk is currently at 18mm width, my long term goal will be a trunk of about 1 - 1.5 inches and a height of +- 15 Inches. well that is the plan anyway, just wondering how the stems 1st branch will pan out, i have read so much i cannot remember where i read this but usually the 1st branch should be about 1/3 of the total height of the tree. Sorce has offered me some interesting reading and alot of thinking to do. Oo So much of stuffs to learn, The Nebari are not visible due to the stones, there are only two visible roots if you brush them aside.

@Bunjeh - I can so relate- i want it, i want it now! mentality. but i need to learn patience and i cant wait for the end result. Thanks for the link gonna read it now.

Top Bottom