My First Bonsai...

MikeGSoCal

Seedling
Reaction score
I’ve decided to jump into this hobby after walking through the bonsai display at the Wild Animal Park in San Diego.

I’ve been reading as much as I can and now I feel like my head is spinning! So I’m here looking for a little direction.

I bought this Juniper (nana or squamata) with the thought of doing root over rock. I’ve now decided against the ROR style and plan to get a Maple for that. I’m not really sure what my next steps with this cutting should be.

Thanks in advance for any advice. 256088FC-C8AD-498A-894C-5B9BD60ED2BA.jpeg

MikeGSoCal

Seedling
Reaction score
My location is inland San Diego country. Zone 10a

MikeGSoCal

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the link...I have joined the San Diego Bonsai Club...just waiting for meetings to start up again. And I’m looking forward to learning from members there.

As far as this little Juniper am I correct in thinking I should re-pot and root prune it in February with 1 part akedama, 1 part lava, 1 part pumice?

At this time should I put it in a bonsai pot and start shaping or let it continue to grow in a bigger pot without any shaping or trimming?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
At this time should I put it in a bonsai pot and start shaping or let it continue to grow in a bigger pot without any shaping or trimming?
Not one answer to this except it depends what you want to achieve.
Trees in small pots generally grow and develop really slow.
Putting this little fellow in a small bonsai pot means you will still have a skinny trunk small juniper in 10 years.
Keeping it in a larger grow pot will allow all parts to grow and create thicker trunk and branches much quicker. Having a thicker trunk will allow you to create a much more impressive bonsai.
Starting with a very small plant is cheaper but means many years of waiting while it grows unless you will be satisfied to have a little stick juniper in a bonsai pot.
Small cheap trees are a good way to get started while you learn to keep plants in pots alive. Expect a few to die while you master watering, location, soil types, pruning and shaping so financially good to leave the larger, more expensive purchases until you have experience and confidence.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jocking Mike G to my dismay!

Welcome to Crazy!

What's that glass?

Sorce

MikeGSoCal

Seedling
Reaction score
I’ve got A LOT to learn. Heading to a nursery today to look for another juniper and a trident maple.

The windscreen around our gas fire pit. The blue is some cobalt fire glass.

Top Bottom