My first, but not last, BONSAI STAND build.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Hartinez Thanks. Nah, I sprayed them with vinegar and tomorrow they’ll get a few coats of hydrogen peroxide so they get a nice reddish rust then maybe a clear coat of powder.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Hartinez Thanks. Nah, I sprayed them with vinegar and tomorrow they’ll get a few coats of hydrogen peroxide so they get a nice reddish rust then maybe a clear coat of powder.
One of the stands is probably for that great little shohin Olive of yours yeah?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Hartinez No, I made it a bit small. The taller one is for a little cascading buttonwood and another is for a semi-cascade ficus triangularis. The leaves were resting on the table and getting cooked in the afternoons. I’ll make one for the olive soon now that you mention it. I made those two out of necessity more than anything.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks Brian. I used a clear coat so the color is entirely from the wood itself. Walnut is my absolute favorite wood to work with and is a beautiful dark color. I plan on making a walnut base next.

On a second note. I’m a full time designer and build lots of lifestyle accessories with wood, like furniture lighting, jewelry and other art installations. My design methods almost always include using paint or some other color to accent the wood being used. I’ve had an idea for a while to have an accent color besides black, to be painted on a few key edges of a stand. Could you see something like that be used or of benefit for certain bonsai display? Like maybe your most recent Satsuki “kinsai” exposed root azalea? Or do you think it would take away from the composition?

Hers a chobudai I made for a client last year and I painted the underside in a Torii gate red, with the elevation matching a Torii gate. I always thought this same design in a smaller scale would be lovely for a stand. View attachment 240686View attachment 240687View attachment 240688
Danny,
Your work is very professional and your design esthetic is right on target. You’ll find that there are many bonsai artist who also are in the design and architecture professions, myself included. Keep moving in this direction!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Danny,
Your work is very professional and your design esthetic is right on target. You’ll find that there are many bonsai artist who also are in the design and architecture professions, myself included. Keep moving in this direction!
Thank you so much for saying! I love to design and build and feel lucky every day to get to do it for a living, I’m sure you feel the same. I’m excited down the road, to build more stands!

Top Bottom