My first Cali Juni

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Picked this up the other day. It has gotten a bit leggy and needs some work but it will be a fun journey.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice find, but those fine roots need to be treated like gold plant the juniper deeper in the pot...

good luck.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice! Its hard to tell from a photo, but it looks to me like the foliage isn't healthy enough for styling yet. I'd agree with the advice to plant it a little deeper to develop the roots and wait to work on it until it is putting out some vigorous growth shoots (runners).This is going to be a great bonsai.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice Tree! I'd love to see how you train this. :)

I also agree about planting it deeper.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice! Its hard to tell from a photo, but it looks to me like the foliage isn't healthy enough for styling yet. I'd agree with the advice to plant it a little deeper to develop the roots and wait to work on it until it is putting out some vigorous growth shoots (runners).This is going to be a great bonsai.

I think that it has been in the pot so long that it has started to push itself up and out exposing the top roots. The tag on the tree said that it was collected in 1992 and does not look like it has had much work done to it since collecting so it has likely been sitting in this pot for some time.

I've added some additional soil to the top and plan to slowly feed it well this year to strengthen it for work hopefully next year. As soon as my wife saw the tree she quickly claimed it as her own but for me to care for and style.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think that it has been in the pot so long that it has started to push itself up and out exposing the top roots. The tag on the tree said that it was collected in 1992 and does not look like it has had much work done to it since collecting so it has likely been sitting in this pot for some time.

I've added some additional soil to the top and plan to slowly feed it well this year to strengthen it for work hopefully next year.

You can chop a plastic pot and use the top few inches as a collar above your current soil top and fill that with soil. It is just a pot extender in a way. If you can push and wedge it in between the soil and the better. It can be slit then "stapled" together so bigger pot will work okay.

Edit. Don't forget to anchor the "extender" to the pot or tree so it won't get knocked off easily.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I will try to do a sketch.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom