my first collected material (azalea)

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I collected this azalea in spring of this year. It may or may not be suitable for bonsai, I didn't take my time finding it and didn't really see any real potential in it. Lol but my friend wanted the shrub gone, so I went and got it , for free. Regardless, I am very happy of the fact that my first collection was successful, for now... I'm not building an ego or anything, just saying. But before I collected it, it was about 4 feet high at the tallest shoot. I chopped it down to what you see now and cut all of the branches and foliage off EXCEPT for a few twigs and leaves here and there. All of those have since been removed and replaced with all the new growth it has now. I haven't really been able to figure out how to get rid of the two stumps without disturbing/possibly damaging the roots somehow or without agressivky handling the tree. But I'm sure you guys will have a lot to say about this one ;) let me have it, good or bad. I'm open to all the thoughts, opinions, advice, criticism, or input you might have on this material. Maybe mother daughter? Twin trunk? Idk. And also there is no nebari spread..just big thick base? The link contains two photos, front and back just click the photo to go o next one.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...49730926.1073741827.1408001016&type=3&theater

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't do facebook so I can't see your pics....But congrats on keeping it alive.

Brian

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ha thanks man! I use an android tablet so I haven't been able to post pics. I have photobucket but for some reason it wouldn't allow me to upload these two images. Wish ya could see em.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You'll enjoy this forum much more when you post pictures in the approved fashion. Either an embedded photo using tags or uploading directly to the site.

Grats.

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You'll enjoy this forum much more when you post pictures in the approved fashion. Either an embedded photo using tags or uploading directly to the site.

Grats.[/QUOTE]

I wish it were that easy! Using a tablet, there is no option for uploading pictures, what-so-ever. :\ I get no icons to attach files. And there is obviously not an 'upload photos' feature when making posts.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Your link doesn't work for me. Are you able to access a laptop??

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ben,

When you make a post, do you see a link that says "manage attatchments" somewhere below the text input window? You upload attachments through there to your personal gallery. Then you can select the ones to post. You have to make sure they are the correct size (not too big) before the site will accept them.

Not many people are going to want to have to log into FB to view your photos. You will get better help if you can figure out how to post them directly.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
you probably have already looked for root spread below the surface of the soil it was in. But it would not surprise me to find decades of buildup from decayed mulch, etc. covering the nebari. Careful not to rip out the fine roots during your search. Sometimes a long thin nail is a decent tool to probe straight down to see if you feel any lumber below the surface.

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ben,

When you make a post, do you see a link that says "manage attatchments" somewhere below the text input window? You upload attachments through there to your personal gallery. Then you can select the ones to post. You have to make sure they are the correct size (not too big) before the site will accept them.

Not many people are going to want to have to log into FB to view your photos. You will get better help if you can figure out how to post them directly.

Hey, sadly, I do not have that option to upload photos. I am using an android tablet and all I get is my cursor when I go to make posts, no icons off any kind or any other managing settings. All I see is, "title" "message" and "Tags" there is no upload button for pictures and since I am using a tablet the icons do not come up. I've tried EVERYTHING. I used photo bucket but I can't upload certain pics to photobucket. It shows ALL my pictures instead when I paste the link to posts. I take pics with my phone so I have to send pics to my email, download them to my tablet and then upload them to photobucket and paste the link with my posts. It totally slipped my mind ppl would have to sign on to fb to see those pictures :/ I really wish they would make it easier to upload photos on this website! The website on my tablet is in a mobile form, if I could switch it back to regular somehow, I'd probably get the icons for managing attatchments. Bonsaiempire.com is another forum I use and they have "upload attachment fields" below the "messages" field. Its sooo easy. I feel like bnut could easily make it just as easy. And I like bnut a lot better than bonsai empire. But I really want you guys to see the pictures, so I can get some feedback. All my posts end up being about how to post pics haha. But thanks for the concern and for the help! Much appreciated. I'm going to figure out a way to upload the photos so I hope you guys will come back to look at them and give me some feedback. :)

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Okay guys I just decide to use my phone and it still shows the website in desktop mode, so here are te pics! :) I have NO idea why they're sideways but it was the best I could do. Sorry for breaking your neck. :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 38

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
pain in the neck BE GONE!

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 13

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh yeah, the tree...
So you probably already know that slingshots went out with Dennis the Menace. I might think about taking out the more upright trunk. Leave a stub at the base so it can dieback to the base. You and clean that up in a year or so. Then, start looking for usable branching and wire to shape, prune after flowers die off. Azaleas are some of my faves. One school of thought is to grow just for the flowers and dont worry about design. Others like both, or just the design. One thing to keep in mind is that the bark is very thin, and healing a wound from pruning takes just about more time than you probably have left on earth.

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh yeah, the tree...
So you probably already know that slingshots went out with Dennis the Menace. I might think about taking out the more upright trunk. Leave a stub at the base so it can dieback to the base. You and clean that up in a year or so. Then, start looking for usable branching and wire to shape, prune after flowers die off. Azaleas are some of my faves. One school of thought is to grow just for the flowers and dont worry about design. Others like both, or just the design. One thing to keep in mind is that the bark is very thin, and healing a wound from pruning takes just about more time than you probably have left on earth.

Ok, thanks. And I personally like having the design plus the flowers. But kinda leaning more towards design just on this certain one (I have a few) because I collected it and want to make it awesome. But should I just let it grow out through the season until it flowers and then prune it? And couldn't I prune just right before it blooms to direct all that energy into the branches and leaves?

-ben

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It appears to be a large-leafed variety (non-Satsuki) and so will probably bloom early (Satsukis bloom a bit later in the summer). I think I would let it bloom and then style it. I dont think you would be channelling much energy if you were to cut off one trunk before blooming. I dont think that much energy would be saved due to how early it should bloom.
One thing about wiring azaleas though, they become brittle so dont wait too long or they can crack when bending.

Top Bottom