My first collected tree, Bougainvillea

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Wow, it's been about 3 years since my last update. So much has changed with this boug, and in my life in general since that 2014 update.

Almost 3 years now since Chowder (pup in the original post) passed. She was a great dog and is missed!

The tree has been reduced significantly in an attempt to prevent the rot from completely taking over. It got to a point where the middle completely rotted through of the original structure, and I saved the right side. Wood hardener and lime sulfer have been making the rot slow down, but not sure if I'll have this one in 10 years or not. We will see.

For now I'm going to let these wired branches back bud and reduce further from there this summer when it starts blowing up.

Attachments

• IMG_3956.JPG
    IMG_3956.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3957.JPG
    IMG_3957.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3958.JPG
    IMG_3958.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3959.JPG
    IMG_3959.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 40

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CHOWDA'!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:) I bet doggy heaven, (if there be;)) is filled with sheep to herd, sticks needin' a fetchin' and stuffed animals that need mounting....:D:D:D:D(edit: never had a dog that didn't take a fancy to a random teddy..)
Frisbee catching canines get exclusive rights to "people heaven" VIP status....who doesn't love when a pooch catches a toss from their Master and maybe throw some tricks in there?:confused::eek::D:D c'mon, it's "people heaven", the entertainment leans towards a PG rating! ;):D:D:D But you can rent an old Airstream with a '52 Chevy wrecker to tow it.....o_OOdd, but there it is....:D:D:D:D

Run free, Chowder, let the flea and tick collared yoke that once enslaved you, be visited upon thine enemy....and we be re-united in a leash-less land of Kibble and Kitty!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Really unique Bougie creation!! Rot must be a problem in your climate when this type of deadwood is exposed. I really like the styling approach here, lots of character.:cool:
My neighbor has one with some deadwood he worked quite awhile ago, of course, we have MUCH less humidity here. Alost zero sign of degradation...except for the neighboring trees jeering you because you killed a few other Bougies...

I hope any changes in your life were for the better amongst those three years....but the loss of a pet might indicate relatively rough sailing. Stay positive and find solace in your horticulture pursuits.:rolleyes::D:D
But a couple beers and "sum kine'" will settle most lows in a jiffy!!!:confused::D:D:D:D:D:D

Cool Boog!!!:cool:

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm really sorry to hear about Chowder. We lost one of our pups (she was 10) around Thanksgiving and I still miss her every day.

It's too bad you lost so much of the deadwood, but in your climate I'm not sure it can't be helped. I still like the tree a lot. I hope it sticks around.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
CHOWDA'!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:) I bet doggy heaven, (if there be;)) is filled with sheep to herd, sticks needin' a fetchin' and stuffed animals that need mounting....:D:D:D:D(edit: never had a dog that didn't take a fancy to a random teddy..)
Frisbee catching canines get exclusive rights to "people heaven" VIP status....who doesn't love when a pooch catches a toss from their Master and maybe throw some tricks in there?:confused::eek::D:D c'mon, it's "people heaven", the entertainment leans towards a PG rating! ;):D:D:D But you can rent an old Airstream with a '52 Chevy wrecker to tow it.....o_OOdd, but there it is....:D:D:D:D

Run free, Chowder, let the flea and tick collared yoke that once enslaved you, be visited upon thine enemy....and we be re-united in a leash-less land of Kibble and Kitty!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Really unique Bougie creation!! Rot must be a problem in your climate when this type of deadwood is exposed. I really like the styling approach here, lots of character.:cool:
My neighbor has one with some deadwood he worked quite awhile ago, of course, we have MUCH less humidity here. Alost zero sign of degradation...except for the neighboring trees jeering you because you killed a few other Bougies...

I hope any changes in your life were for the better amongst those three years....but the loss of a pet might indicate relatively rough sailing. Stay positive and find solace in your horticulture pursuits.:rolleyes::D:D
But a couple beers and "sum kine'" will settle most lows in a jiffy!!!:confused::D:D:D:D:D:D

Cool Boog!!!:cool:

Thanks!

Rot has definitely been a problem. I need to reapply lime sulfer and wood hardener (now that it'll be raining much more in a month or two). Summer's are very hot and humid. I honestly prefer the winter, but I really look forward to the lightning and thunder storms. They light up everything, are extremely loud at times, and shake the house!

The changes have been good! The only complaint is that I'm working more than I ever have . Just thought I'd follow up on Chowder after I reopened this thread and saw her sipping from the hose (it made me laugh and remember that moment).

I'm really sorry to hear about Chowder. We lost one of our pups (she was 10) around Thanksgiving and I still miss her every day.

It's too bad you lost so much of the deadwood, but in your climate I'm not sure it can't be helped. I still like the tree a lot. I hope it sticks around.

Thanks-

Sorry about your loss too, it's never easy losing a close friend.

I'm actually pretty happy in the direction the tree has now, as long as I can prevent further rot or at least slow it down more.

I'll get some better photos of the dead wood soon.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't believe its the same tree!

Wow!

Pretty!

Up there in Doggy Heaven!

Get some Bitch Clam......

Chowder!

NE shout!

Sorce