My first Escambron - Broom style

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Bought this one from our local bonsai nursery, about an hour away from my place. I chose it for it’s awesome bark already on main trunk, and it’s feature at the base, the bark being split. I like it because it gives it a wild and rugged personality.
Lots more to have to work on, such as branch selection on the top, and taper, which it severely lacks. I have whittled it down a bit right after purchase but lots more fine twigging and ramification to be done. It had been repotted a week before purchase, so I chose to do light wiring and mild pruning on the top, to avoid reverse taper and for creating space.

This species seems to love Houston weather with our high humidity and already temps reaching mid 90s.
the growth you see on second pic is about two to three weeks of growth. Very vigorous shoots.

Attachments

• 631331E0-70D3-4A0A-8A23-92C75BE36C67.jpeg
    631331E0-70D3-4A0A-8A23-92C75BE36C67.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 17
  • ABEBBDD8-2184-4BE4-9F06-6EAEE8AD0D89.jpeg
    ABEBBDD8-2184-4BE4-9F06-6EAEE8AD0D89.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 17

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Did some late spring pruning this morning on most top growth, down to a pair of nodes or down to the last node. Keep the growth compact while also allowing the lower branches to have more energy.

Attachments

• 73B832BB-BC27-4AD7-A4BB-DBE9AD41A829.jpeg
    73B832BB-BC27-4AD7-A4BB-DBE9AD41A829.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 17

Dorotystew

Seed
Reaction score
Bought this one from our local bonsai nursery, about an hour away from my place. I chose it for it’s awesome bark already on main trunk, and it’s feature at the base, the bark being split. I like it because it gives it a wild and rugged personality.
Lots more to have to work on, such as branch selection on the top, and taper, which it severely lacks. I have whittled it down a bit right after purchase but lots more fine twigging and ramification to be done. It had been repotted a week before purchase, so I chose to do light wiring and mild pruning on the top, to avoid reverse taper and for creating space.

This species seems to love Houston weather with our high humidity and already temps reaching mid 90s.
the growth you see on second pic is about two to three weeks of growth. Very vigorous shoots.
well that is a great transformation

Top Bottom